follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #519
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I'm guessing the next years model will be normal dated like most other cars which would be August or September.

I don't want to wait that long though, I've already waited 3 years since first hearing about the car, and it's been 9 months since I passed on the built-for-grandma 2012 Civic Si.
I see that was my guess. They may bring some different colors including lighter blue like Subaru has ....and do some improvements ....also better to brake the car in when is not so hot outside like in the fall you don't have to use A/C .imo
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #520
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside View Post

The idle issue seem to be more prevalent to this car than just a couple of isolated cases.

Turned me off from buying the car now.

If enough people complain it should be fixed mid-production. Getting them to halt production is another story. Some beancounter simply has to show them a piece of paper stating whether replacing engines(worst case) or stopping production is cheaper.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #521
FRSjeff

Drives: FR-S (red manual)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exclamation I'm worried…

As other members have posted, I am starting too wonder if I should maybe not get this car.
I REALLY WANT THIS CAR! But, I really don't want to be visiting the dealer with problems they are going to have trouble fixing.

I bought a 1993 Honda Del Sol Si on August 15, 1992, when it was first sold. My car was the 511-th one made (according to the VIN). I drove that car for 18+ years and sold it to a friend who STILL drives it daily. It had over 20 service bulletins for various little things. The dealer took care of them as I took the car in for regular maintenance service. These issues never bothered me as none of the service bullentins were major and I can't recall how many, if any, were specific to the engine's mechanics. I loved that car, quirks and all!! I started driving my mom's newer Honda Accord EX-L V-6 in 2010 that she gave me. I like it's smoothness and more "luxurious ness" but, I'm bored! Twenty years later (almost exactly) I'm ready to buy another more interesting and fun car. I was thinking of buying a 370Z (I always liked Z's) but, I don't like the way the seats feel [I've gained some wait over the past two decades] and the Z's reliability ratings on consumer reports are not so hot --- big turn off. The Honda Civic Si isn't doing it for me and the new CRZ is a big disappointment. I really thought I was going to buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe but, I didn't fit comfortably in it either AND I did not like the way it shifted (it even was the improved shifter in the 2013). I like the infinities and BMWs (not so much Porsche's looks) but, they're all too expensive to maintain (for the length of time I like to own). I've test driven them all. I fell in love with the FR-S at first sight. Test driving the car (even though it was an automatic) sealed the deal for me (I will buy a manual, I hear the shifter is great). I'm not a race-car track driver (though I'm certainly open to learning) nor am I a Toyota and/or Subaru loyalist (but, open to becoming one). I DO LOVE THE FR-S !!

All this being said, I'm now really nervous about getting one because of this thread. I almost wish I hadn't come across it, lol. Because I had such good luck with the first year Del Sol, I'm not at all worried about the FR-S being a first year production model; in fact, that ADDS to it's appeal. I just don't want to buy a car that might end up in the shop a lot! I do value reliability. Anyway, I think I'm going to go for it anyway and take a chance -- life's too short and I'm not getting younger.

What do you guys think?

Btw, I'm having the hardest time finding the one I want [firestorm manual]. The three dealers I've visited who had one, jacked up the price with bogus add-ons. I'm on a waiting list with a friend who works at a Toyota/Scion dealership, they don't take deposits. I'm thinking of signing up on another list where they do take deposits. Maybe the delay is a good thing after all, in light of this idle issue; but, my money is burning a hole in my bank account.

P.S.: Sorry for the long winded post, I'm very new to this blog posting thing. This car has inspired me so much, this is my first internet forum to sign up for.
FRSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSjeff For This Useful Post:
Marrk (07-16-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #522
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I kinda wish i bought an sti. But as long as toyota takes care of it tomorrow i will be content
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #523
Northside

Drives: Civic FD 1.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Okay, whoa... everybody calm down! Just chill for a minute. All this talk of "putting pressure on Toyota/ Scion/ Subaru" to "do something about this problem!" or "make more of an effort to fix it!"...what are you expecting them to do?

Has anybody encountered any REAL resistance from corporate over the problems with this car? To date, I haven't heard of Toyota turning customers away at the door . . . what stood out to me was that they're flying engineers over from Japan to look at cars having this problem, to try to get to the bottom of it.

I know unknown engine problems are scary, but you guys gotta remember one very important thing: this car has been on sale in America (to the general public) for less than a month. A MONTH!!! So if you're expecting them to
diagnose a problem that's somehow slipped through the cracks in their thousands of hours of testing, device a fix, and have it distributed to dealerships across the country in that amount of time (to say nothing of the fact that this didn't show up immediately, or the communications delays between service centers and corporate)... you're in for a LOT of disappointment.

Patience, guys....

I am with you, man. You have a very reasonable and valid point. And we have so many emotions invested in this car. But reliability is on the top of my list. If the FRS/BRZ threatens to stall every time it decelerates or idles, there is no point in buying this brand new car when it behaves like an old one.

An engine suddenly dying on you during deceleration is a serious safety issue. Braking is the first most important thing that is compromised. And one accident that would've been caused by this is one too many. Let us not wait for that accident to happen.
Northside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northside For This Useful Post:
csaba (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #524
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSjeff View Post
As other members have posted, I am starting too wonder if I should maybe not get this car.
I REALLY WANT THIS CAR! But, I really don't want to be visiting the dealer with problems they are going to have trouble fixing.

I bought a 1993 Honda Del Sol Si on August 15, 1992, when it was first sold. My car was the 511-th one made (according to the VIN). I drove that car for 18+ years and sold it to a friend who STILL drives it daily. It had over 20 service bulletins for various little things. The dealer took care of them as I took the car in for regular maintenance service. These issues never bothered me as none of the service bullentins were major and I can't recall how many, if any, were specific to the engine's mechanics. I loved that car, quirks and all!! I started driving my mom's newer Honda Accord EX-L V-6 in 2010 that she gave me. I like it's smoothness and more "luxurious ness" but, I'm bored! Twenty years later (almost exactly) I'm ready to buy another more interesting and fun car. I was thinking of buying a 370Z (I always liked Z's) but, I don't like the way the seats feel [I've gained some wait over the past two decades] and the Z's reliability ratings on consumer reports are not so hot --- big turn off. The Honda Civic Si isn't doing it for me and the new CRZ is a big disappointment. I really thought I was going to buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe but, I didn't fit comfortably in it either AND I did not like the way it shifted (it even was the improved shifter in the 2013). I like the infinities and BMWs (not so much Porsche's looks) but, they're all too expensive to maintain (for the length of time I like to own). I've test driven them all. I fell in love with the FR-S at first sight. Test driving the car (even though it was an automatic) sealed the deal for me (I will buy a manual, I hear the shifter is great). I'm not a race-car track driver (though I'm certainly open to learning) nor am I a Toyota and/or Subaru loyalist (but, open to becoming one). I DO LOVE THE FR-S !!

All this being said, I'm now really nervous about getting one because of this thread. I almost wish I hadn't come across it, lol. Because I had such good luck with the first year Del Sol, I'm not at all worried about the FR-S being a first year production model; in fact, that ADDS to it's appeal. I just don't want to buy a car that might end up in the shop a lot! I do value reliability. Anyway, I think I'm going to go for it anyway and take a chance -- life's too short and I'm not getting younger.

What do you guys think?

Btw, I'm having the hardest time finding the one I want [firestorm manual]. The three dealers I've visited who had one, jacked up the price with bogus add-ons. I'm on a waiting list with a friend who works at a Toyota/Scion dealership, they don't take deposits. I'm thinking of signing up on another list where they do take deposits. Maybe the delay is a good thing after all, in light of this idle issue; but, my money is burning a hole in my bank account.

P.S.: Sorry for the long winded post, I'm very new to this blog posting thing. This car has inspired me so much, this is my first internet forum to sign up for.

Hope they figure out the problem before you get the car.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #525
w arghh x
[I 86 I]

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside View Post

I am with you, man. You have a very reasonable and valid point. And we have so many emotions invested in this car. But reliability is on the top of my list. If the FRS/BRZ threatens to stall every time it decelerates or idles, there is no point in buying this brand new car when it behaves like an old one.

An engine suddenly dying on you during deceleration is a serious safety issue. Braking is the first most important thing that is compromised. And one accident that would've been caused by this is one too many. Let us not wait for that accident to happen.
And therefore, there is NO WAY a company such as Toyota or Subaru will allow such a thing to be left to rott. This car is a very publicized vehicle between two large and fairly well known companies whose reputations stand very high.
This alone should give people confidence that such a problem with the car will be diagnosed and rectified ASAP.
I think some people think that a car like this gets developed and then released without vigorous testing. There are always supply issues with vehicles, hence why there are recalls (including those you don't ever hear about but get fixed when serviced!!), that aren't made aware until full scale production is underway. Pretty much every manufacturer has an issue like this, the only difference is, is that your not on that specific forum reading about it!!!

Take a chill pill people, the car is Fantastic and the faults will be recitified very soon. Toyoburu can not afford to let this car become a media nightmare.
w arghh x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #526
dnL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
I finally experienced this infamous "idle issue" today (the one about the RPM dip). And wow... was I severely disappointed. I expected heaven and earth to collapse into a black hole based on everyone's melodrama, but it was more like pissing a little outside the toilet bowl.
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #527
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
What if the issue occured badly enough to stall your engine just as you needed that extra braking effort? Still missed the bowl, or did you just take a dump on your wife's dinner?
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #528
dnL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post
What if the issue occured badly enough to stall your engine just as you needed that extra braking effort? Still missed the bowl, or did you just take a dump on your wife's dinner?
Oh. I was just standing still. Not moving. Engine stalling would, of course, be really bad. But I don't think the majority of people have the engine stalling, from what I can tell.

I don't get your reference to the bowl and wife's dinner?
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #529
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
I turned the key today and it took a while for the engine to start (only have 700 kms on it), it doesn't always feel certain to me
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #530
enigmaaron

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S MT, '04 Tacoma
Some of the reactions in here amaze me. No one should be deterred from buying this car because of what's been reported here so far.

1. whiteout fr-s' issue is an outlier. In my mind his engine failure is almost certainly a direct result of the techs tinkering with his car to fix the idle issue. NOT a result of the idle issue itself.
2. Other than him I don't recall a single person report anything happening other than a dip in idle while stopped. No one is stalling out, losing power, or having some other dramatic failure.
3. Not everyone is having this problem. Yes the car is new, but still at this point the number of people reporting this issue is small.
4. It will be fixed. Not only at the plant, but in everyone's car that already has them. Look at the list of service bulletins for any car out there. They fix every stupid thing that people might complain about.

Relax people, we all love this car but you gotta expect some things like this to happen on a brand new car. It's a completely new vehicle, top to bottom, there will be growing pains.
enigmaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enigmaaron For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (07-02-2012), civicdrivr (07-02-2012), Dadhawk (07-02-2012), denkigrve (07-02-2012), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2012), |-Goku-| (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #531
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just dropped mine off. Ill let everyone know whats going on
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
MarkMash (07-02-2012), YukiHachiRoku (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #532
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I've been keeping an eye on my car, and now it only does it with the a/c on or when the rad fans kick on. If everything is off the idle is rock steady. Im just shy of 5k miles.