follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
DQR

Drives: Blue 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
exhaust advice

Let me begin by saying I've been reading the forums for a few years now and have found the information invaluable and hilarious. I have been saving up for a cat back exhaust now for over 6 months and have finally narrowed my results. I am looking at the Hooker Blackheart cat back dual exhaust, Borla cat back, and the Greddy Evo GT. I will not be adding headers or forced induction unless I win the lottery. I have heard these exhausts on YouTube but there are only a handful of in car videos of stock cars with these exhausts. If any owners of these exhausts or people who have heard them in person can provide some feedback that would be greatly appreciated. If I can save the money I would gladly buy the Hooker or Borla if the sound in car is significantly more noticeable than stock. Thank you.
DQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Corpseye

Drives: Subaru brz 2016
I’ve got a cobra exhaust, works well. Could send you a sound sample if you want me too. No wired noises and a nice rumble in low revs. Made with stainless steel. One of the less pricy systems.
Corpseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Thats a particully loaded question. What are your goals. What does the rest of your exhaust look like? Are you stock? If so are you planning on headers down the road. Only reason I ask as the stock headers keep the noise down alot but once you add catless or after market things can get loud really quick. Just FYI and trying to save you some money.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQR View Post
Let me begin by saying I've been reading the forums for a few years now and have found the information invaluable and hilarious. I have been saving up for a cat back exhaust now for over 6 months and have finally narrowed my results. I am looking at the Hooker Blackheart cat back dual exhaust, Borla cat back, and the Greddy Evo GT. I will not be adding headers or forced induction unless I win the lottery. I have heard these exhausts on YouTube but there are only a handful of in car videos of stock cars with these exhausts. If any owners of these exhausts or people who have heard them in person can provide some feedback that would be greatly appreciated. If I can save the money I would gladly buy the Hooker or Borla if the sound in car is significantly more noticeable than stock. Thank you.
dude save your money and buy a used one from your local facebook frs/brz group. catbacks are a dime a dozen, theyre all the same, except single exits are louder because they only have one muffler, some have resonators some are straight piped but theres in all honesty not much difference, at the end of the day its a good ol catback, dont overthink it. use new gaskets when you install it. if you go full catless its going to be dumb loud so just stick with any old catback.

https://shop.redline360.com/products...MaAhfLEALw_wcB

to give you the answer you want though: borla typically makes crap stuff, theyre headers crack all the time, but its hard to screw up a catback, so im sure their catback will do just fine though. the greddy system is badass, but you will not notice a difference between that and a used N1. no experience w hooker.

keep us updated with your progress working towards this modification, im excited you are finally able to pull the trigger, its going to give your car the presence it deserves.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpseye View Post
I’ve got a cobra exhaust, works well. Could send you a sound sample if you want me too. No wired noises and a nice rumble in low revs. Made with stainless steel. One of the less pricy systems.
Thank you that would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Thats a particully loaded question. What are your goals. What does the rest of your exhaust look like? Are you stock? If so are you planning on headers down the road. Only reason I ask as the stock headers keep the noise down alot but once you add catless or after market things can get loud really quick. Just FYI and trying to save you some money.
I had a feeling I was rambling. Only goal is to improve the tone of the exhaust. The rest of the exhaust is stock. The only mod I have is K&N drop in filter. I will not be doing headers. Also, going catless is something I don't want to mess with.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
dude save your money and buy a used one from your local facebook frs/brz group. catbacks are a dime a dozen, theyre all the same, except single exits are louder because they only have one muffler, some have resonators some are straight piped but theres in all honesty not much difference, at the end of the day its a good ol catback, dont overthink it. use new gaskets when you install it. if you go full catless its going to be dumb loud so just stick with any old catback.

https://shop.redline360.com/products...MaAhfLEALw_wcB

to give you the answer you want though: borla typically makes crap stuff, theyre headers crack all the time, but its hard to screw up a catback, so im sure their catback will do just fine though. the greddy system is badass, but you will not notice a difference between that and a used N1. no experience w hooker.

keep us updated with your progress working towards this modification, im excited you are finally able to pull the trigger, its going to give your car the presence it deserves.
Sorry not on Facebook.Thank you for the advice. I did read the thread about Borla and the cracked headers and was starting to consider other options. I will update once I decide on an exhaust and post a detailed review.
The Following User Says Thank You to DQR For This Useful Post:
HaXx (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I had a feeling I was rambling. Only goal is to improve the tone of the exhaust. The rest of the exhaust is stock. The only mod I have is K&N drop in filter. I will not be doing headers. Also, going catless is something I don't want to mess with.
Then just do a nice axleback.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Why not get just an axle back?

I have this one and I assure you it's not a piece of shit. It's looks OEM and sounds great.

https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...rt__11839.html

ETA beaten by milliseconds lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Then just do a nice axleback.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
From what I can tell axlebacks are usually a little quieter than catbacks. But I will look more into it.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Why not get just an axle back?

I have this one and I assure you it's not a piece of shit. It's looks OEM and sounds great.

https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...rt__11839.html

ETA beaten by milliseconds lol
I have always liked the look of Borla exhausts. Do you know if the Borla catback is that much louder than the Borla axleback?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #12
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I have always liked the look of Borla exhausts. Do you know if the Borla catback is that much louder than the Borla axleback?

AS far as I know the catback is a bit louder. I haven't heard it in person.

There are also two types of axle backs. The touring and the S type and the S type is louder.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
DQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
AS far as I know the catback is a bit louder. I haven't heard it in person.

There are also two types of axle backs. The touring and the S type and the S type is louder.
Thank you for your feedback
Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
DQR

I decided on the Greddy Evo GT got a great deal for black Friday week. I will post a review after it arrives sometime late December early January.
The Following User Says Thank You to DQR For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (11-24-2020)