follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Without already knowing what it is, what terms would OP have searched to find that dome shaped thing on the dash?

It wouldn't really apply to OP, as that would be more of a service manual thing. But I'm pretty sure on my 15 the interior diagram shows the sensor in the owners manual, as that was the first year the FR-S had auto headlights standard. Something like "control sensor", or "automatic lights" would've easily sufficed

Here it is in the 17 86 manual:

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 09-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Without already knowing what it is, what terms would OP have searched to find that dome shaped thing on the dash?
Well, OP already used the word "sensor" in the first post. Open the PDF version of 2017 86 Owner's Manual (OM18069U), go to "Edit → Advanced Search" and search for "sensor" returns 44 results, each in a line with surrounding context. These two lines are together:
  • control sensor -Automatic light off system The light swith is in , the
  • control sensor is located on the passenger's side. The sensor may not function properly
Hitting either of these would bring one to p.174, which has a picture of the button thingie under the heading "Headlight control sensor". That's exactly how I came up with the page number posted earlier in this thread. By the way, this particular term is not in the index of the 2017 owner's manual from either Toyota or Subaru. As far as I can tell, the printed and PDF copies are identical, at least on the Toyota side.

Now I'm really curious how the smart people would be able to locate this reference in the printed manual...
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #31
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
Well, OP already used the word "sensor" in the first post. Open the PDF version of 2017 86 Owner's Manual (OM18069U), go to "Edit → Advanced Search" and search for "sensor" returns 44 results, each in a line with surrounding context. These two lines are together:
  • control sensor is located on the passenger's side. The sensor may not function properly
Hitting either of these would bring one to p.174, which has a picture of the button thingie under the heading "Headlight control sensor". That's exactly how I came up with the page number posted earlier in this thread. By the way, this particular term is not in the index of the 2017 owner's manual from either Toyota or Subaru. As far as I can tell, the printed and PDF copies are identical, at least on the Toyota side.

Now I'm really curious how the smart people would be able to locate this reference in the printed manual...

See my above post
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #32
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
I'm a fairly new owner and also overly curious how things work.

I see on top of the dash, forward near the windshield, passenger (right) side, there's a small, raised dome-shaped "button".

(I've probably got a few more silly questions coming!)
Hello Jabe and welcome aboard -

Congratulations on the purchase of your new machine -

Now, see what you went and did - you asked a question and set the forum racoons to growling at each other.

Now, asking questions is just fine - if you have done a search before and still are confused.

A few topics should NOT be brought up, because they throw the forum into a spin.

An example is "light weight pulleys".

Enjoy your new machine!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #33
accwai
初級成員

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
[...] you asked a question and set the forum racoons to growling at each other.
Well I am not one of them coons:

Quote:
[...] A few topics should NOT be brought up, because they throw the forum into a spin.

An example is "light weight pulleys".
Something's been bothering me a lot me lately though: When I was shopping for my car, there was one dealership with a pair demos, same model year, same equipment level and same color. One was manual while the other was auto. The manual has TRD quick shifter and JDM side makers. I picked the manual but lately everybody on the net's saying auto is actually the right way to go. So did I make the wrong choice?

Last edited by accwai; 09-17-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #34
humfrz

Quote:
Well I am not one of them coons:

OK, so you're a Canadian beaver -

So what's a light weight pulley? Something else's been bothering me a lot me lately though: When I was shopping for my car, there was one dealership with a pair demos, same model year, same equipment level and same color. One was manual while the other was auto. I picked the manual because everybody on the net said that's the right way to go. But lately everybody on the net's saying auto is actually the right way to go. So did I make the wrong choice?

First off, I'm ah gonna hafte you unless you go back and edit your post and strike out "light weight pulley".

In addition, surely their was some difference between those two cars besides the transmission, that you could have talked about -

So, striking that, would negate the need for an answer to your question.

Now, behave -

humfrz
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #35
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Something like "control sensor", or "automatic lights" would've easily sufficed
He didn't know what kind of sensor it was (or if it was a sensor at all), and there's not anyone here who would look at that thing and say, "Hey, I should search my manual for 'control sensor.'"

Meanwhile, if he just searched for "sensor":

Quote:
... search for "sensor" returns 44 results
And very few people would wade through a wall of 44 text results to find a term they're not even sure is correct. You found it because you already knew what you were looking for. Without that knowledge, search would be nearly useless.

Quote:
I knew what it was because I took the time to read the damned thing when I first bought the car. Finding it again was a simple matter of looking in the table of contents for the section on operating the lights, then flipping through that chapter. I timed myself; it took 25 seconds to find it on page 205 of my 2014 manual.

But again, I already knew what I was looking for, not just "dome-shaped thing on dash." If you didn't already know what it is, finding it again would be equally difficult with either a printed manual or a PDF. Then you'd need to ask on the message board and have people ridicule you.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #36
extrashaky

By the way:

Quote:
I have a PDF copy of the 2013 BRZ manual, so I tried your method. It returned 61 results, and the lines you quoted out were actually buried at lines 50 and 51. How many would you expect someone to click through before giving up? You really think someone would click through dozens of results to find it?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
By the way:

I have a PDF copy of the 2013 BRZ manual, so I tried your method. It returned 61 results, and the lines you quoted out were actually buried at lines 50 and 51. How many would you expect someone to click through before giving up? You really think someone would click through dozens of results to find it?
I would.

I have.

I will again.

Many times.
Dadhawk (09-18-2018), extrashaky (09-17-2018), PetrolioBenzina (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #38
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I would.

I have.

I will again.

Many times.
Yeah, but you and I both know you're not normal.

Truth be told, I probably would also, but you and I both know I'm not normal either.

Most normal people will not.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #39
humfrz

Quote:

Truth be told, I probably would also, but you and I both know I'm not normal either.

Now that it has been established that @Tcoat and @extrashaky are NOT normal - that means the rest of us are normal.

I feel better now -

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #40
accwai
初級成員

Quote:
[...] I have a PDF copy of the 2013 BRZ manual, so I tried your method. It returned 61 results, and the lines you quoted out were actually buried at lines 50 and 51. How many would you expect someone to click through before giving up? You really think someone would click through dozens of results to find it?
Don't know about the Subaru side, but in the 2017 86 manual, most of the search results above the two I quoted have "impact", "airbag" or "rollover" in front of "sensor". Skipping all those and the leftover "sub", "system" and "safing" could be eliminated after one click. Then we're down to the "control" entries. It even says "located on the passenger's side" right on the list. So 4 clicks and I was looking at the picture with the button thingie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Now that it has been established that @Tcoat and @extrashaky are NOT normal - that means the rest of us are normal.

I feel better now -

humfrz
Well normal or not, Tcoat is always welcome in the GTA. I bet a get together with him here would draw a enormous crowd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-18-2018), Tcoat (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I can't even debate that!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #42
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, but you and I both know you're not normal. Truth be told, I probably would also, but you and I both know I'm not normal either. Most normal people will not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I can't even debate that!
Actually, my theory is this is "old normal" vs "new normal". Those of us that grew up having to research things through persistence and voluminous searching versus googling and binging tend to be willing to read through more search results to find something.

I've noticed this just in my own family. I usually find things faster than my sons because I'm willing to look on the second page of search results where they won't look past the first two or three entries.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 09-18-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: grammar, typing, no proofreading, you get the picture
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
PetrolioBenzina (09-18-2018), Tcoat (09-18-2018)