follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze View Post
Yep.. It seems like a popular request over the years from all my google searches. I'm surprised there aren't more shops out there (especially in LA area), that would want to/are confident in doing the work *shrug.
You'd probably be more in luck finding a specialty shop which usually isnt a big shop. In our case, someone who mainly works with boxers. Or get a quote from a dealer, it'll cost more but it should be covered under their warranty.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #16
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
You'd probably be more in luck finding a specialty shop which usually isnt a big shop. In our case, someone who mainly works with boxers. Or get a quote from a dealer, it'll cost more but it should be covered under their warranty.
That's why I got him in touch with blackbeat. They're and authorized shop that specializes in 86's.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:59 AM   #17
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze View Post
Yep.. It seems like a popular request over the years from all my google searches. I'm surprised there aren't more shops out there (especially in LA area), that would want to/are confident in doing the work *shrug.
I think it's a function of supply and demand. It's probably very rare someone buy a new car, spend extra money for an option and then immediately spend money to undo the up charge. Personally I would just enjoy the auto. Driving fanboys really over state the cool factor for manuals.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #18
iceblaze

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS MT,2017 Toyota 86 AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
I think it's a function of supply and demand. It's probably very rare someone buy a new car, spend extra money for an option and then immediately spend money to undo the up charge. Personally I would just enjoy the auto. Driving fanboys really over state the cool factor for manuals.
I hear that.. I drove a '69 VW bug for five years, an '86 MT corolla for two years after that, and I hated life in West LA in traffic..After my experience with those cars, I vowed to never buy another manual again, heh.. This platform has been out for five years, and it would be nice to have that pain point solved for people that want the ability to switch over after they've put 10k+ worth of mods into their cars.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong.. I do love this car in AT; its pretty much the best AT I've ever owned/driven... I would just like the option of converting over to manual down the line, and turning it into a full blown race car (when I am no longer commuting an hour+ in LA/OC traffic everyday, and without having to take all my mods off and sell my car). Especially if I plan on spending the $$ for boost at some point.

Last edited by iceblaze; 04-02-2018 at 03:53 AM.
iceblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #19
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoops View Post
That's why I got him in touch with blackbeat. They're and authorized shop that specializes in 86's.
Yea i know the guy, Stephens helped me out a bit. Not sure if they do tuning or tranny swaps though. But Im sure he's familiar or can point you to the right direction.
TheRoops (04-02-2018)