follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 07-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #169
Aon

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamber View Post
It wil be interesting to see if a bore scope can reach the strainer through the oil pan to check for RTV chunks.
Unfortunately the oil pickup is located in such a way that it not able to be accessed unless the pan is removed. You can however look at the surrounding seal and check for excessive sealant or signs of some breaking off.
Aon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:44 PM   #170
S_Yogurt

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S, '12 Ford Fiesta
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisz5z View Post
Give us a free day of racing so you can deny us a warranty...looks like a trap.
HPDE is not racing, it's not (supposed to be) timed or competitive. I understand that it's still stressful on the engine and oiling systems, and I'm not saying the situation isn't BS.

But pretty much every manufacturer has blanket terms for voiding warranties around 'timed competition' whether that's on a drag strip, on a track, or in a parking lot. Toyota and Subaru can tell you to use it in HPDE and simultaneously void a warranty for damaged caused in competition, and be legally fine.

Here, it's obvious the damage isn't caused by the track use. It's only a matter of time before it gets recalled and dealt with - but for the internet voices to say Toyota is evil, that they will never buy one, etc...

I have yet to see how this situation is being handled any differently than any other manufacturer ever. There's going to be a period where Toyota investigates the problem, and determines that it was a manufacturing defect. Remember, they don't even BUILD these cars, so it'll naturally take them a little longer to be able to say "hey, we effed up".
S_Yogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S_Yogurt For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #171
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Has there been notable BRZ failures with the RTV issue? It seems so far that all the documented RTV related failures worldwide have been on a GR86.
With my limited knowledge of the manufacturing details, I venture out to point out that the both GR86 and BRZ engines have absolutely no difference during assembly, since they should all be built in the same plant (Gunma?). Unlike the valve spring recall failures (where Toyota techs were working on boxer engines), this seems to be coming from factory line.

Anyone else care to expand on this?
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 PM   #172
S_Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
With my limited knowledge of the manufacturing details, I venture out to point out that the both GR86 and BRZ engines have absolutely no difference during assembly, since they should all be built in the same plant (Gunma?). Unlike the valve spring recall failures (where Toyota techs were working on boxer engines), this seems to be coming from factory line.

I know someone who boroscoped their BRZ and found extra RTV squishing out, it just hadn't caused a failure yet. It may be simply because of sales volume of Toyota versus Subaru that we're seeing more of one than the other.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #173
Aon

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A buddy of mine got paranoid and pulled his oil pan. His pan seal seemed ok with no missing chunks, however there were some small bits of silicone present in the oil pickup (likely from the front timing cover). He took pictures then cleaned it out and resealed the pan.

2022 GR86 - 2700 miles - 12/21 Build Date
Attached Images

Last edited by Aon; 07-30-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Aon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aon For This Useful Post:
Pat (08-01-2022), Petah78 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #174
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Yogurt View Post
HPDE is not racing, it's not (supposed to be) timed or competitive. I understand that it's still stressful on the engine and oiling systems, and I'm not saying the situation isn't BS.

But pretty much every manufacturer has blanket terms for voiding warranties around 'timed competition' whether that's on a drag strip, on a track, or in a parking lot. Toyota and Subaru can tell you to use it in HPDE and simultaneously void a warranty for damaged caused in competition, and be legally fine.

Here, it's obvious the damage isn't caused by the track use. It's only a matter of time before it gets recalled and dealt with - but for the internet voices to say Toyota is evil, that they will never buy one, etc...

I have yet to see how this situation is being handled any differently than any other manufacturer ever. There's going to be a period where Toyota investigates the problem, and determines that it was a manufacturing defect. Remember, they don't even BUILD these cars, so it'll naturally take them a little longer to be able to say "hey, we effed up".
Never underestimate the power of ignorance.

Sure, there may be a huge technical disparity between HPDE and "timed competition" but can you effectively explain how that makes a difference within what should and shouldn't be covered under warranty?

Moreover, are you (Toyota) willing to set precedence for every future warranty repair based on a US judge's ability to understand that distinction?

What do you think Toyota is going to do? Put $11k worth of repairs into a single car or risk creating legal precedence that they can't call any kind of racing history a disqualifying activity for every 86 past and present?

Big companies like this tend not to have the appetite to die on these small hills. When faced with litigation their instinct is to make it go away in the most "off the (legal) books" manner possible.

Sure, they appeal the decision and so on ad nauseum. They have the money and lawyers to do that. But in the meantime they're stacking up cases and cases and then someone files a class-action and they're hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in something that might have cost them tens of thousands to fix.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 PM   #175
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post

It does seem like they are building Subaru's, then building the GR's, at least for the 2022. So perhaps the machine fell out of calibration or something of that nature.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #176
S_Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Never underestimate the power of ignorance.

Sure, there may be a huge technical disparity between HPDE and "timed competition" but can you effectively explain how that makes a difference within what should and shouldn't be covered under warranty?

Moreover, are you (Toyota) willing to set precedence for every future warranty repair based on a US judge's ability to understand that distinction?

What do you think Toyota is going to do? Put $11k worth of repairs into a single car or risk creating legal precedence that they can't call any kind of racing history a disqualifying activity for every 86 past and present?

Big companies like this tend not to have the appetite to die on these small hills. When faced with litigation their instinct is to make it go away in the most "off the (legal) books" manner possible.

Sure, they appeal the decision and so on ad nauseum. They have the money and lawyers to do that. But in the meantime they're stacking up cases and cases and then someone files a class-action and they're hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in something that might have cost them tens of thousands to fix.

I don't think this is the right decision, no. I also don't think they're evil for making this decision at this stage, my point is that this isn't out of line with what any other manufacturer would decide or do.

They're going to have to fix it either way, whether it's a warranty for broken cars or a recall they will eventually issue, assuming this is widespread enough to require them to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to S_Yogurt For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #177
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,001 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamber View Post
Funnily enough, there is a gentleman on the other forum who has a BRZ and for some inexplicable reason chose to do seven track days on the same fill of OEM 0w-20 oil without changing it; unsurprisingly, his engine failed. Shockingly, Subaru of America decided to cover it out of good will, despite the track use and oil blunder being disclosed. This is of course a lonely sample size of but one. However, compare that to Toyota of Japan and Toyota of America outright denying claims without investigation, citing “track use” as the reason, when they laughably PROVIDE a free track day to each customer, and outright trying to fuck people over by digging through their social medias to find evidence of track or drift usage to deny claims while refusing to send a regional technician out to examine the failure - it becomes clear that one brand may have a more supportive attitude than the other. I understand that a couple of the Toyota denials that were posted about online recently may have been in fact have been perfectly reasonable due to user error or miss-use being involved in the reason for failure - this still pales in stark contrast to the couple feel-good experiences I’ve read about Subaru recently; the one listed above, among others.
I am acutely aware of this individual and failure. Several things to note:
When the failure occurred the telematics unit did notify Starlink of the failure (Check Engine Light-Low Oil Pressure) and the location. GPS location was pin-pointed to a track. Each of these cars also has what I'll call "black box data" that only Subaru FSM's can pull. When they pulled the data from this particular car it showed multiple over-revs, top speed data, acceleration data, G-load and the fact that there were more than 4 TPMS sensors registered to the car. They used this to reasnoably (and acurately) determine the car had been tracked.

This engine was not torn down by the dealer. SOA had the dealer install a new, complete engine assembly. Then had the entire damaged engine assembly, including the oil from the engine shipped back to have their engineers investigate the cause of the failure. If it is an assembly issue, or a sealant application issue or a substandard part issue it will be found and corrected. If it was an abuse issue, they'll find that to.

Sadly it seems that Toyota cannot get complete engine assemblies....only Subaru can. Score Subaru.

A thing on warranty denial...Abuse is a very broad term, drifting, doing a donut, smoking the tires, dropping the clutch, etc are all abusive actions...all can result in a denial. Track, HPDE, Autocross, race, drift....be ready to pay to play.
ATL BRZ (08-02-2022), DarkSunrise (07-30-2022), Espi (08-02-2022), gcmak (07-31-2022), Pat (08-01-2022), Petah78 (07-31-2022), quikag (08-01-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022), timurrrr (07-31-2022), Ultramaroon (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:16 PM   #178
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You do, but it's in donuts.
That is a bribe not markup.
Ultramaroon (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 PM   #179
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is a bribe not markup.
po-tay-toe po-tah-toe
Old 07-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #180
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
po-tay-toe po-tah-toe
Damnit that bot is back!
Jdmjunkie (07-31-2022), Ultramaroon (07-30-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:19 AM   #181
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Damn! starlink is that now that powerful.. GPS pinpoint your ass and logging our activities

does seem Subaru has an incentive to find out what's wrong with their own manufacturing line in the first year or maybe Subaru wants to own the "Love Promise" to its customers, I think they're scoring highest in customer loyalty right now. If any dealer denies your spun bearing grenaded FA24, might be worth bringing up that they promised their eternal love to you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I am acutely aware of this individual and failure. Several things to note:
When the failure occurred the telematics unit did notify Starlink of the failure (Check Engine Light-Low Oil Pressure) and the location. GPS location was pin-pointed to a track. Each of these cars also has what I'll call "black box data" that only Subaru FSM's can pull. When they pulled the data from this particular car it showed multiple over-revs, top speed data, acceleration data, G-load and the fact that there were more than 4 TPMS sensors registered to the car. They used this to reasnoably (and acurately) determine the car had been tracked.

This engine was not torn down by the dealer. SOA had the dealer install a new, complete engine assembly. Then had the entire damaged engine assembly, including the oil from the engine shipped back to have their engineers investigate the cause of the failure. If it is an assembly issue, or a sealant application issue or a substandard part issue it will be found and corrected. If it was an abuse issue, they'll find that to.

Sadly it seems that Toyota cannot get complete engine assemblies....only Subaru can. Score Subaru.

A thing on warranty denial...Abuse is a very broad term, drifting, doing a donut, smoking the tires, dropping the clutch, etc are all abusive actions...all can result in a denial. Track, HPDE, Autocross, race, drift....be ready to pay to play.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:41 AM   #182
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One of our great devs needs to come up with a way to obfuscate the data outside of the ECM.

Tags
oh no not again