follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #15
Shadow6

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah, I lack both an oscilloscope and any understanding whatsoever of how to use one.

I think I’m looking at swapping DI injectors around this weekend to see if that moves my misfires. Do I need to order any new gaskets or anything? I assume new intake manifold gaskets? New fuel injector o-rings?

If it is the injector should I just replace the bad one? Anyone have a suggestion for where to get a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow6 View Post
Yeah, I lack both an oscilloscope and any understanding whatsoever of how to use one.

I think I’m looking at swapping DI injectors around this weekend to see if that moves my misfires. Do I need to order any new gaskets or anything? I assume new intake manifold gaskets? New fuel injector o-rings?

If it is the injector should I just replace the bad one? Anyone have a suggestion for where to get a new one?

The DI's have teflon seals that require a special tool to install and then they are a bit of a PITA to get back into the engine. (IMHO)Your best bet is to find an injector shop that can clean and service DI's and PI's.

Is the bottom bolt on you DI ecu tight?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #17
Shadow6

P219A P119F poor idle quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
The DI's have teflon seals that require a special tool to install and then they are a bit of a PITA to get back into the engine. (IMHO)Your best bet is to find an injector shop that can clean and service DI's and PI's.

Is the bottom bolt on you DI ecu tight?

Hmm, I think I might check that bolt (is there a photo you can link me to?) and throw spark plugs at it/swap coils. If that doesn’t change anything I guess I’ll have a mechanic pull the DI injectors and send them out for cleaning. There’s a guy here in Ohio that does it.

I was afraid DI injectors would be a pain just because of the pressure involved both from the fuel and the combustion. Damn.

Edit: no sense playing with swapping around injectors if I’m paying someone to do it right? I just ought to send them out?

Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #18
blsfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow6 View Post
Hmm, I think I might check that bolt (is there a photo you can link me to?) and throw spark plugs at it/swap coils. If that doesn’t change anything I guess I’ll have a mechanic pull the DI injectors and send them out for cleaning. There’s a guy here in Ohio that does it.

I was afraid DI injectors would be a pain just because of the pressure involved both from the fuel and the combustion. Damn.

Edit: no sense playing with swapping around injectors if I’m paying someone to do it right? I just ought to send them out?

The DI ecu is the box on the pass side of the engine. It has 4 plugs going in to it's rear. There is a bolt on the bottom in the center that is the ground. You have to feel for it with your fingers (be gentle). Long shot, but make sure it's tight.

Send the PI's for cleaning too. Yes, I'd definitely send them out for cleaning. Whether you pay someone to take them out or diy is up to you. I did a lot of reading and video watching before I installed mine. It was nerve racking and luckily it turned out ok.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:56 PM   #19
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
DI seals are a pain but kids with aprilias can do them with a tapered punch, a piece of hose and a hose clamp, that's how I do them on VWs. Lightly expand the teflon seal on the puch until it can barely get on the tip, slide it into the groove, slide piece of hose on the seal and tighten hose clamp to shrink it back on. let it rest clamped while you replace the seal on the next injector.

DI seals aren't *that* fragile, they'll survive one R&R. Clean the tips with intake cleaner, give it a drop of oil and sliiiide it back in. See if issue follows, if it does, order one injector and one seal kit, if it doesn't two seal kits to close it back up for good.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #20
blsfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
DI seals are a pain but kids with aprilias can do them with a tapered punch, a piece of hose and a hose clamp, that's how I do them on VWs. Lightly expand the teflon seal on the puch until it can barely get on the tip, slide it into the groove, slide piece of hose on the seal and tighten hose clamp to shrink it back on. let it rest clamped while you replace the seal on the next injector.

DI seals aren't *that* fragile, they'll survive one R&R. Clean the tips with intake cleaner, give it a drop of oil and sliiiide it back in. See if issue follows, if it does, order one injector and one seal kit, if it doesn't two seal kits to close it back up for good.
Your experience with DI's is different that mine (and others on this forum). My injectors would not just slide in. I had to freeze and lube them then push them in by tightening them down with the fuel rail bolts.

I watched videos of other car's DI and indeed, they appeared to slide in with finger pressure but ours won't.

I like your technique of "shrinking" the seal. I'll try that, if I ever have to deal with those b***ches again.

Last edited by blsfrs; 07-07-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #21
Shadow6

Quote:
Your experience with DI's is different that mine (and others on this forum). My injectors would not just slide in. I had to freeze and lube them then push them in by tightening them down with the fuel rail bolts.

I watched videos of other car's DI and indeed, they appeared to slide in with finger pressure but ours won't.

I like your technique of "shrinking" the seal. I'll try that, if I ever have to deal with those b***ches again.

Sounds like I have some videos to watch.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #22
blsfrs

Read through this. There a a few other threads too.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...irect+injector
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Shadow6 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #23
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Quote:

yeah, i haven't had the pleasure of dealing with an fa20 DI, but of everything i've touched, the only ones that don't pull out with the fuel rail are the diesels, and BMWs. Just did a Nissan juke, half came with the rail, half came out of the head with a light tug :lol
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-07-2022)
Old 04-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #24
tfp

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB with PP
Did replacing or cleaning the di and port injectors work?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
tfp is offline   Reply With Quote