follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #43
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
For sure the difference is bigger in the Porsches, but I think it does illustrate my point.

I completely agree with this statement, but the bolded part is exactly my point - for some "more refined" is a good thing. For others it is not. I'm in the latter camp.
Yup. But it's not like it's a Lexus now. Porsche sells luxury sports cars. This isnt a luxury sports car with swathes of leather options. Interior materials are nicer and still can't hear the radio. Raw enough for me with less Fisher Price all around the car.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PBR For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #44
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I honestly didn't expect much from a Subaru when it came to interior when I first got my BRZ. I also share a 2019 Mazda 3, which costed the same as the BRZ, but with a miles away better interior. Just too distracting at times, and in contrast, that's how I would describe the interior of both 1st gen and 2nd. Simple. Driver focused.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with comparing both gens, that is the purpose of the thread after all. Opinion, on taste, will always be biased. Being that this is a 86/FR-S/BRZ forum, it is to be expected when I tell someone that my BRZ is better looking than an 86, and accept the FR-S is better looking than my BRZ. I am biased because I went for looks, and preference on looks is about taste, so of course I would think I have the better looking car, because that is my taste.

That's why I was so disappointed on the 2GEN BRZ, because it just looks awful, and that is my personal assessment. I don't hate the 2nd gens because I think the GR86 looks gorgeous. I can admit they improved a lot of things, but I'm sure that if I was to drive a new gen, there would be things I would miss from the older gen, and love about the new gen. If someone told me, here, this new BRZ is yours, I would take it... straight to a Toyota dealership and trade it for the new one.
PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #45
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont discount anyone who is saying they dont like the 2nd gens LOOKs (i prefer the gen2 nose and strongly prefer the gen1 ass). What I cant get behind is saying that it 'feels softer' or is a 'less raw sports car' without being able to articulate it. Its objectively a stiffer chassis and unless raw = shitty I dont see how its "less raw" (beyond ASC, which wasnt mentioned in the post)

I just get the feeling that alot of people dont like the way it looks, and then try to extend that opinion into other parts of the car for no reason. Think its ugly? Just say so and move on.
danson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danson For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022), Yoshoobaroo (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #46
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
I dont discount anyone who is saying they dont like the 2nd gens LOOKs (i prefer the gen2 nose and strongly prefer the gen1 ass). What I cant get behind is saying that it 'feels softer' or is a 'less raw sports car' without being able to articulate it. Its objectively a stiffer chassis and unless raw = shitty I dont see how its "less raw" (beyond ASC, which wasnt mentioned in the post)

I just get the feeling that alot of people dont like the way it looks, and then try to extend that opinion into other parts of the car for no reason. Think its ugly? Just say so and move on.
I can't see how it looks from the drivers seat. Having too much fun driving. I didn't buy it to look at.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #47
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I That's why I was so disappointed on the 2GEN BRZ, because it just looks awful, and that is my personal assessment. I don't hate the 2nd gens because I think the GR86 looks gorgeous.
You can’t say that the BRZ looks awful and the GR86 looks gorgeous in the same breath. It’s literally the same car with different shapes of the front bumper intakes. Most people can’t even tell the difference.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022), rawpoly (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #48
quikag

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT - Ignition Red
LOL at the people that think the BRZ is ugly and the 86 is gorgeous. As mentioned above, it's the same car with a slightly different front bumper which you can't see from the driver's seat.

I think they both look fine and I prefer the suspension and al knuckles on the BRZ.
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quikag For This Useful Post:
PBR (05-05-2022), Yoshoobaroo (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #49
drift86

Drives: GT86, 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've owned the first gen for 10 years before coming to the second gen.

For me there were only 3 things that were better on the first gen.
1. Steering feel. It's heavier and feels more special when just driving casually around town
2. Throttle response. Revs up and down more quickly when shifting
3. Trunk opening and space. I can't fit my bike in the second gen anymore. The opening is way smaller

I think the real achievement of the second gen is that it has added a massive amount of refinement and plushness to the car WITHOUT adding any weight. That's the real magic there.
drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drift86 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-25-2022), Dirty Harry (05-06-2022), DylanJZA (05-05-2022), JusTheG (05-06-2022), PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #50
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
You can’t say that the BRZ looks awful and the GR86 looks gorgeous in the same breath. It’s literally the same car with different shapes of the front bumper intakes. Most people can’t even tell the difference.

Like I said, that was my personal preference. Its all about looks. I got my BRZ because it looks better, personally, than the 86.
I know better that they are the same car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #51
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
LOL at the people that think the BRZ is ugly and the 86 is gorgeous. As mentioned above, it's the same car with a slightly different front bumper which you can't see from the driver's seat.

I think they both look fine and I prefer the suspension and al knuckles on the BRZ.

Well of course they are the same car. I think anyone who has been on these forums knows that crystal clear. But getting A or B cars comes down to, what color you like, and bumper style. I really shouldn’t have to explain the concept of personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #52
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift86 View Post

2. Throttle response. Revs up and down more quickly when shifting
Really? I only owned my 1st gen for a couple years, but I distinctly remember just flooring it and the tach going nowhere forever.

I have noticed a bit of hang on the upshifts, specifically in 1st and 2nd.

I never even TRIED to put a bike in the 1st, but the trunk is does seem narrower. Makes sense cause the 1st had a dump truck and the 2nd gen has buick butt.
danson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #53
drift86

Drives: GT86, 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
Really? I only owned my 1st gen for a couple years, but I distinctly remember just flooring it and the tach going nowhere forever.

I have noticed a bit of hang on the upshifts, specifically in 1st and 2nd.

I never even TRIED to put a bike in the 1st, but the trunk is does seem narrower. Makes sense cause the 1st had a dump truck and the 2nd gen has buick butt.
Yes, the flywheel feels heavier.

I actually did this test in both cars. Left the car in neutral and stabbed the throttle by flooring it and releasing it as quickly as I can. The rpm hardly moved in the second gen. The first gen reved up about 1000rpm higher.
drift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #54
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
Totally agree!! I started to comment on the "boy racer Gen 2" comment, but deleted it as I figured not worth explaining. You did it instead.

As a mid 40's car enthusiast, I honestly wouldn't and didn't ever consider the Gen 1. The Gen 2 grew up and improved all the deficiencies of the Gen 1 along with more "mature" styling, that I have no problem driving around town with a big smile plastered on my face.

I've had a GT4, 991.2 GT3, also currently have a C6 ZR1 (owned since new), CT5-V Blackwing, Raptor, Lexus LX, etc. The '22 BRZ is probably the most fun car driving around town out of all the cars I've owned in the last 10 years. It's just a blast to toss around town.
If you had a Gen 1 you would likely say the same thing because the level of fun is the same. The rest is subjective.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
ACT86 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #55
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
The interior is miles and miles better now. It’s not even in the same universe. The way the door closes the soft close, the better quality soft touch plastics the leather quality the seat quality the bezels I can go on and on. Again as someone who had several of the prior generations this is a car that I can take my girlfriend out to dinner and not be embarrassed when we valet it in front of other people. Like why is this dude driving his sons car. I don’t even have any kids but you know that was a thought.
Sounds like you need a Lexus. As you get older you are supposed to care less about what other people think. When I am 80, I plan on getting whatever boy racer there is. Why because it’s fun , don’t care what a valet thinks. I own multiple cars and can afford a car three times the price, but why pay three times more for the likely less fun. I buy cars to impress myself, not other people.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (06-09-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 06:35 PM   #56
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Sounds like you need a Lexus. As you get older you are supposed to care less about what other people think. When I am 80, I plan on getting whatever boy racer there is. Why because it’s fun , don’t care what a valet thinks. I own multiple cars and can afford a car three times the price, but why pay three times more for the likely less fun. I buy cars to impress myself, not other people.
What kind of response is that? A bit more refinement for occasions means buy a luxury car? You can't want a light sporty car and want a decent interior?

1st gen is good.
2nd gen is also good.

Pick your poison.

I'd buy a second gen for the power without having to run E85 if my car wasn't so far removed from stock i'd be buying new body panels to put it back and undoing the prep I did for a half cage. I could care less for the looks of something I sit in. I still wished the interior didn't rattle and the parking brake boot wouldn't pop off all the time even though it's primarily my track day toy.
DylanJZA (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022)