follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Best Clutch/Flywheel Brands (FI)

**Admins, please delete if this info is in another thread. I searched and can't find it.**

I wanted to get some opinions on the best clutch/flywheel kit brands for our cars..........with a supercharger. I have a 2013 with a Kraftwerks C38 (bigger blower) kit that I'm about to install and I need to obviously change the clutch/flywheel from OEM, along with clutch fork & pivot, too.

The car also has an oil cooler, catless EL headers/performance exhaust all the way back, and Grams injectors; too. I'm assuming with the C38 blower that the car should be putting down high 200's in the torque department or maybe low 300's on E85, so I want a solid kit.

I've considered the ACT Xtreme Street/Strip, Exedy Stage 3, Competition Clutch Stage 4, or the McLeod Street Tuner clutch. I just know there's a ton of other companies out there like OS Giken and HKS, but I don't know anything about them.

Opinions?
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Not ACT. I have the XT street with lightweight flywheel. It s not a bad clutch but not happy with it. It took forever to break in and be smooth. Hear a lot of complaints on longevity also. I would not go above 350 on torque rating unless you are just going to go to the drag strip and abuse the shit out of it. Next clutch I get will be a South Bend.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (11-27-2020), why? (02-23-2021)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I am very happy with the South Bend Stage 2 Daily with stock flywheel. No chatter and stock feel.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (11-27-2020), FRSapex (11-28-2020), why? (02-23-2021)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Not ACT. I have the XT street with lightweight flywheel. It s not a bad clutch but not happy with it. It took forever to break in and be smooth. Hear a lot of complaints on longevity also. I would not go above 350 on torque rating unless you are just going to go to the drag strip and abuse the shit out of it. Next clutch I get will be a South Bend.
I have never used an ACT clutch but having read hundreds of threads on issues on here I would willing to bet that 9 out of 10 of them were ACT!
They covered a range of issues and failures that I have never seen for a clutch before.
I don't know what is best but am pretty confident I know what is worst.
DocRecon (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I love my OS Giken clutch! You can message them on Facebook to ask questions. It is super drivable!
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Thanks everyone for your take! I'd hate to waste money on a shitty clutch. I had forgotten about South Bend.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRecon View Post
Thanks everyone for your take! I'd hate to waste money on a shitty clutch. I had forgotten about South Bend.
One other point. If a daily driver stay away from light weight fly wheels. With what you plan the disadvantages will greatly outweigh (no pun intended) the advantages during normal driving. If a track only car then go for it as then the advantages will pay off.
DocRecon (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
One other point. If a daily driver stay away from light weight fly wheels. With what you plan the disadvantages will greatly outweigh (no pun intended) the advantages during normal driving. If a track only car then go for it as then the advantages will pay off.

Yeah, I don't like LW flywheels. I had one in my Mach1 Mustang once and took it out almost immediately for NW, since it was a DD car. That's what my FR-S is too and with a little light Strip from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocRecon For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Anyone have any takes on the multi-disc clutches for DD, yet supercharged cars?
Old 11-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have never used an ACT clutch but having read hundreds of threads on issues on here I would willing to bet that 9 out of 10 of them were ACT!
They covered a range of issues and failures that I have never seen for a clutch before.
I don't know what is best but am pretty confident I know what is worst.
Theres so many variables here. Did they install it themselves, was it there first time? Did they torque everything to spec. Are they hard launching every light, do that suck at manual and think they're pros, are they riding the clutch etc. I have an ACT xt clutch normal flyweight with a verus clutch fork and pivot. I have zero problems. Granted my frs is only on a 7psi atm but in February I'm getting tuned 9psi on e85. Remember you're only going to see/read bad experiences with a product because it's more vocalized the people that are happy with the product are out driving their car 👌

Instagram: @angelb_af
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_FIEND For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
Theres so many variables here. Did they install it themselves, was it there first time? Did they torque everything to spec. Are they hard launching every light, do that suck at manual and think they're pros, are they riding the clutch etc. I have an ACT xt clutch normal flyweight with a verus clutch fork and pivot. I have zero problems. Granted my frs is only on a 7psi atm but in February I'm getting tuned 9psi on e85. Remember you're only going to see/read bad experiences with a product because it's more vocalized the people that are happy with the product are out driving their car ��
LOL my own standard statement used against me!

Oh no doubt some are issue free The list of issues is just too big to ignore though. Easily the majority of aftermarket failures were the ACT.
FRS_FIEND (11-27-2020), MICHAEL450f (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
LOL my own standard statement used against me!

Oh no doubt some are issue free The list of issues is just too big to ignore though. Easily the majority of aftermarket failures were the ACT.
Lol nice, just trying to be neutral here. In the end the OP needs to make the decision for himself.

Let's say there are 100 bad reviews like you said. I wonder how many act clutches that were sold and were professionally installed and or installed by super experienced enthusiasts all who will torque to spec with a well calibrated torque wrench that is properly maintained not some harbor freight torque and how many owners properly broke in the clutch. Then you have to take into account how many frs\brz\86s ACT clutches were sold throughout the years of our cars. Too many variables man.

Instagram: @angelb_af
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I’ve got an Exedy 12.7 lbs flywheel and have no problems daily driving it. It’s actually one of my favorite upgrades. Barely any sound difference, easy to modulate and much quicker engine response when rev matching. Maybe I got lucky or something, I’m not sure. The key might be not to pair it with an aggressive or grabby clutch.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
Lol nice, just trying to be neutral here. In the end the OP needs to make the decision for himself.

Let's say there are 100 bad reviews like you said. I wonder how many act clutches that were sold and were professionally installed and or installed by super experienced enthusiasts all who will torque to spec with a well calibrated torque wrench that is properly maintained not some harbor freight torque and how many owners properly broke in the clutch. Then you have to take into account how many frs\brz\86s ACT clutches were sold throughout the years of our cars. Too many variables man.
Yep. And at the same time I would feel bad if I didn't say anything and 6 months down the road he is back with "my clutch won't work".