follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #239
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe I missed something but why the gesture towards 49 after the guy in second spun?

Congrats on the win.

Miatas were driving a bit reckless. Never seen so many want to be 4x4's before..

EDIT: I guess the gesture was to the guy getting lapped; just looked like it was towards 49 since he was still between you a bit.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #240
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfer View Post
Here is the in car for the spin mentioned above and how I dealt with it on Sunday. Bent and cracked the left front RPF-1.

It was a good couple of weekends. Sure glad rice classic was able to run both weekends.
Holy closing speed! What was that guy doing?!
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #241
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Holy closing speed! What was that guy doing?!
Looks like he's enjoying his HPDE in the race group... oof.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #242
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
It is indeed! Good eyes.

There's a 115% rule in SCCA and that driver is consistently outside of that threshold at every track and entirely oblivious to world around him and we bring it up with the stewards time and time again but they just keep letting him race. Ironically the officials asked us if the T2 cars could run in our group as a 2nd run group and we declined and it's a good thing we did - imagine the closing speed between a T2 car and that HP car - that driver would get kill in contact between two. Even if Turfer had hit him, he would have been hospitalized. That guy needs to find another hobby.
Knitting or gardening look more his speed.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #243
WheelrDealer

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Quote:
It is indeed! Good eyes.

There's a 115% rule in SCCA and that driver is consistently outside of that threshold at every track and entirely oblivious to world around him and we bring it up with the stewards time and time again but they just keep letting him race. Ironically the officials asked us if the T2 cars could run in our group as a 2nd run group and we declined and it's a good thing we did - imagine the closing speed between a T2 car and that HP car - that driver would get kill in contact between two. Even if Turfer had hit him, he would have been hospitalized. That guy needs to find another hobby.
Runs good for a spare motor! How do you like that shifter?

BR
Old 03-25-2022, 10:34 PM   #244
Turfer

Drives: Scion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelrDealer View Post

BR
I have the same one. It is a bit notchy. rice classic likes it so far. I am not 100% sold but I am still learning to "shift it slowly". If you watch both my race starts, I miss the 2nd to 3rd exchange. Costs me spots to the #49. I should have gone with the other real fast 86. And I would not have caught the Sprite at Turn 9 each day.
Turfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #245
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelrDealer View Post

BR
It takes a lot of getting used to. Because the shifts are so quick, it makes double clutching very challenging because distance/time from neutral to the next gear is essentially immediate. Once I adapted, it really grew on me though, gotta be very light on the lever.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #246
Turfer

Drives: Scion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Maybe I missed something but why the gesture towards 49 after the guy in second spun?

Congrats on the win.

Miatas were driving a bit reckless. Never seen so many want to be 4x4's before..

EDIT: I guess the gesture was to the guy getting lapped; just looked like it was towards 49 since he was still between you a bit.
He was saluting the sprite because of last year and what happened the day before.

He salutes A LOT!!! BTW
Turfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:47 AM   #247
rice_classic

Cam Sprocket P0017

Ok, so I finally replaced my failed cam sprocket with a brand new on but I need to swap the engine back into the car to test. In the meantime I decided to tear apart the old sprocket.

Why did I replace the sprocket? I swapped the OCVs - code didn't follow (not the OCVs). I swapped the sensors, code didn't follow (or change) which rules out sensors. I swapped the engine and the code was gone, car ran great which rules out ECU. I also ran techstream and saw 3 of the 4 sprockets were producing values while the 1 sprocket was producing 0.

Without being 100% certain - the sprocket wasn't doing anything which leads me to believe the plunger was stuck in the down position. Supposedly even if I had an oil pressure issue, the plunger should have moved but my values would simply be out of spec, but more than "0". I explain the stuck plunger in the video.

NoHaveMSG (04-01-2022), Scargod (04-02-2022), strat61caster (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #248
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You must have got the last of the 3M 1080-G364, Gloss Fiery Orange wrap on the planet. I cant find it anywhere. Guess I'll have to do something different now.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #249
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
You must have got the last of the 3M 1080-G364, Gloss Fiery Orange wrap on the planet. I cant find it anywhere. Guess I'll have to do something different now.
Was thinking the same thing, going to order some and all OOS
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #250
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous_frx View Post
Was thinking the same thing, going to order some and all OOS
This must be the replacement.
https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-...nge-Vinyl.html
of course its on pre-order, ships 1-3 months.... great.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #251
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
This must be the replacement.
https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-...nge-Vinyl.html
of course its on pre-order, ships 1-3 months.... great.
Not a replacement, different type of film. The 1080 and 2080 are different films with the 2080 being more expensive. If you find the same color in 2080 film you’ll be great shape.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #252
rice_classic

Quote:
Ok, so I finally replaced my failed cam sprocket with a brand new on but I need to swap the engine back into the car to test. In the meantime I decided to tear apart the old sprocket.

Why did I replace the sprocket? I swapped the OCVs - code didn't follow (not the OCVs). I swapped the sensors, code didn't follow (or change) which rules out sensors. I swapped the engine and the code was gone, car ran great which rules out ECU. I also ran techstream and saw 3 of the 4 sprockets were producing values while the 1 sprocket was producing 0.
Quoting myself as a means of updating. @Ultramaroon, @NoHaveMSG - maybe one of you guys can share insight.

I swapped back in my "new" engine because I had installed a new Pass Side Exhaust Sprocket (P0017). When I fired up the engine the P0017 was gone!

Except - I now have a P0019 (Driv side exhaust sprocket). So I swapped sensors, swapped OCVs etc with no change. I opened tech stream to watch the Change Angle values and the Dr Side exhaust cam does nothing - nada. (I checked with no MIL illuminated of course, because there's no change angle when it is triggered).

So I pulled off the sprocket, tore it down, cleaned it out, reassembled with ATF and made sure nothing was clogged or "sticky" and reinstalled (5 hours later). Same exact outcome. So I pulled the sprocket off the working spare motor and swapped that in, SAME ISSUE - 0 change angle the sprocket but the other 3 are clearly changing angle. TechStream won't let me slew the sprockets either - gives a "parameters not met" error. 10+ hours of labor wasted.

I KNOW it's not the ecu, the learning values are fine and if I simply swap in the spare engine (like I did in Cali), everything runs perfectly. My suspicion is that there is a blockage between the Camshaft oil control filter and the Sprocket that isn't providing enough pressure in the sprocket to "lift" the plunger and allow the sprocket slew. My next step is to put the engine back on a stand, pull the cams/cam carrier and remove the oil control filters and blow out the passages and try again... Unless anyone else has a silver bullet.

Last edited by rice_classic; 04-04-2022 at 12:15 PM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-04-2022)