follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suzuki Swift update.

I wasn't going to do this thread but I posted something relevant elsewhere and decided why not? I appreciate that this car doesn't make it to the U.S. so it may (and conversely may not) be of interest.

I've owned my BRZ for 8 years and have enjoyed driving/tracking it but while I still enjoy driving it I have only been taking it out once every week or two for the past year or so just to keep things oiled. We are going from a 2 car family to just the one car. It's time for a change.
I had first suggested this might be happening here. Crikey, that's nearly 2 years ago!

There are very few options that meet my criteria; the Swift was about the only choice which made things easy. I intend to take it to the track once or twice for giggles but I am not going as crazy on parts as I did with the BRZ.

Speaking of which, and I think I mentioned this elsewhere, the aftermarket parts available for the Twins is just crazy, even now. You want something chances are someone makes/made it. Where as the mods available for the SSS is sad by comparison and I haven't found a forum that is remotely close to what this forum is. Ah well.

The parts purchasing has commenced, well, a deposit has been made on a set of KW V3. Let's talk about spring rates lol. Standard rates are.... are you sitting down? Standard rates are 2.5k/2.5k! Omg I didn't know such soft springs were made. Having said that one of the reasons for choosing the KWs was the relatively low rates of 4k/3k. It is a street car so l don't want to make the ride too firm. Wife and mum (mum has donated her Yaris for trade-in, thanks mum) have to live with the car too. Having said that some of the reviews have mentioned that the standard ride is a little firm (haha,they're kidding right?).
One has to remember the car has a kerb weight of 990 kgs. Just to put that into perspective the car is lighter than every car that's heavier than it.
Headlight leveling bracket to be ordered. Cut-to-length end-links to be fitted.

Camber plates are not available so I will have to compromise and make do with camber bolts. I had a small email discussion with Intrax. They were the most informative and offered a solution. Not a practical solution but they offered some plates that could be welded in to the towers once the top of the towers had been cut out. One then mounts the camber plates to the newly welded-in plates. Thanks but no.

Wooo!! Michelin PS4s are available in required size as are Nankang AR-1.
I have to weigh original wheels before deciding if wheel replacement is happening but given the small size (17x6.5) I doubt there will much saving to be made.

To be continued.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 01-15-2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Title Change
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-24-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (06-24-2021), Red-86 (07-11-2021), soundman98 (06-24-2021), Tcoat (06-24-2021), Turdinator (07-06-2021), Ultramaroon (07-05-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
US and Canada doesnt get the cool cars.
Its a shame cuz when Suzuki pulled out of the N/A market they started making more interesting cars......
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
but I am not going as crazy on parts as I did with the BRZ.

I have started ordering parts from the list I have compiled. Luckily there aren't too many options for this car.
I have changed my mind and I'm getting Goodyears instead of PS4. A review suggests that the Goodyears have more feel than the Michelins. I appreciate that there is not a lot in it but a decision has to be made.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
Dash Cam
Horn
KW V3 ordered
Headlight Leveling Bracket received
Intercooler
Silicone Intake Hose
Tower Brace
Camber Bolts
Swaybar end links
Rear camber/toe adjuster plates
Brake pads
Floor mats
Brake Fluid

Single exit catback mmmmm... this is a probably when I have some spare cash lying about but no rush.
Catch Can undecided
Wheels Enkei RPF1 17x7 6.8kg <- This depends on oem wheel weights.

I have decided against a lithium battery; I can't justify even to myself. I must be getting soft.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
T-Steve

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the message about the Swift. I had a Swift GTi in the US back in the early 90s. It was a fun car!

I saw some scuttlebutt that Suzuki may be coming back to the USA in '22 or '23. My wife saw the Suzuki Jimny and wants one!

What kind of gains do you expect with the various turbo upgrades on your Swift Sport?

Congratulations.
T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Why this and not a GTI?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
Why this and not a GTI?
I am a little anti VW and more importantly I can't justify the extra $12,000.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (07-04-2021), funwheeldrive (11-21-2021), scotto79 (04-21-2022)
Old 07-05-2021, 01:50 AM   #7
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Steve View Post
I saw some scuttlebutt that Suzuki may be coming back to the USA in '22 or '23. My wife saw the Suzuki Jimny and wants one!

What kind of gains do you expect with the various turbo upgrades on your Swift Sport?

Congratulations.
There is a dire shortage of Jimnys for sale here. There are only 3 new Jimnys for sale on Australia's biggest cars-for-sale website and 2 of them are "enquire for price". From the few reviews I've watched they seem like a competent off-roader for the size and price point.

I am not expecting much from the intercooler but there is a claimed reduction in inlet temperatures. I will take what ever I can get but there isn't much out there to choose from. I am not going to change any item that will affect emissions as I don't want the headache of tuning and testing; it isn't that sort of car.

What I'm expecting from myself is a burst of modding then leave it at that. (But we'll see.)

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'm just glad to see that you're still hanging out with us. Always a pleasure.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm just glad to see that you're still hanging out with us. Always a pleasure.
Thank you

Old 07-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #10
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Good luck.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:31 AM   #11
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Woohoo!
I picked the car up today and here are some first impressions.
I spent a few minutes in the driveway of the dealership getting mirrors and seat right, that was all good but not long after leaving (1 minute?) I had my first experience of Autonomous Emergency Braking. Ffs. At the next set of traffic lights that got switched off. The owner's manual gives an extended list of when it might not function properly and I had an experience of this. One has to switch it off after each engine start. If I forget to do this I'm guessing it wouldn't be long before I am reminded.

Its cornering ability is greater than I was expecting and this is on standard tyres and suspension. The KWs will be going on in a couple of weeks time.
The steering is a little weird. The effort is about the same as the BRZ but not nearly as much feel. That is, I think it is artificially weighted to give the impression of sportiness (what ever that is) without actually making the steering feelsom. Not a major criticism, more of an observation.

Even while running-in I can tell there's quite a surge (relatively speaking) starting around 2k.

I learnt on the extended drive home that one can play around with the gearbox in auto mode. That is, one can change down for engine braking without having to resort to manual mode. This might be a common feature now days but it is new to me, as are flappy paddles.

Before getting the car I had been considering a single exit exhaust. I definitely want one now as the car is terribly muted regarding intake and exhaust noise.
Its lack of mass is apparent when braking.

First impressions are great, a lot of grinning.

A proper review sometime later.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-17-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (11-17-2021), Racecomp Engineering (03-22-2022), soundman98 (11-17-2021), spcmafia (11-17-2021), Ultramaroon (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 01:02 AM   #12
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Here's a weird impression. The Suzuki is only 40mm wider and 5mm longer than mum's former Yaris but I can't get over how freaking big the Suzuki is. I know it's not a big car and it's classified as a small car but I guess my definition of small has become obsolete.

soundman98 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #13
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Here's a weird impression. The Suzuki is only 40mm wider and 5mm longer than mum's former Yaris but I can't get over how freaking big the Suzuki is. I know it's not a big car and it's classified as a small car but I guess my definition of small has become obsolete.
Do you mean the boxy shape and interior space? The Japanese have mastered the art of maximising a car’s internal space for a given footprint. If you’ve ever been in a kei dar, it’s incredible the space they have given the restricted dimensions.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #14
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Do you mean the boxy shape and interior space? The Japanese have mastered the art of maximising a car’s internal space for a given footprint. If you’ve ever been in a kei dar, it’s incredible the space they have given the restricted dimensions.
There is plenty of room on the inside but yeah, it looks big and boxy from the outside. An acquaintance had a Honda Jazz, talk about a Tardis.

soundman98 (11-21-2021)