follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Grips&slips

Drives: 99 mazda miata sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Half trd parts from the factory?

Hey this might be a weird/dumb question, but my car is throwing me off a little. I have a 2015 frs in the Pearl white and it was a leased car that I bought from Toyota after the lease period was over and it was returned to them. The car was made in one of the Japan factories and has a TRD intake and front and rear TRD sway bars but the springs on my car and shocks are black. So was this some kind of factory option or are the springs most likely the TRD one's as well and the ones over there were black?
Grips&slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Sounds like previous leaser or dealer put on TRD bars and intake, that's all. TRD springs are also red.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
TRD parts are not factory but dealer or port installed. Unless bought separately elsewhere and installed by the owner/leaser of course.
The cars are all made in one factory in Japan. There are not several plants.
It is not unusual for dealers to kit out an in stock car with some TRD parts to boost the price. Some less scrupulous dealers have even been known to install TRD parts and call it their own "TRD Special Edition".
As said all TRD springs are red.
eastendraceshop (12-21-2018), strat61caster (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
AutoNewb

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Sterling Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips&slips View Post
Hey this might be a weird/dumb question, but my car is throwing me off a little. I have a 2015 frs in the Pearl white and it was a leased car that I bought from Toyota after the lease period was over and it was returned to them. The car was made in one of the Japan factories and has a TRD intake and front and rear TRD sway bars but the springs on my car and shocks are black. So was this some kind of factory option or are the springs most likely the TRD one's as well and the ones over there were black?
TRD are part options you can installed from your order or from the parts department of a Toyota Dealer if your car is on the lot.

Also... ALL the twins are made in Japan, just so you know
AutoNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutoNewb For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-20-2018), Kimsey47 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Grips&slips

Drives: 99 mazda miata sport
Ah ok I thought maybe some were made in different factories. And thanks guys that answers my questions. I'm glad it came with these because I want to do simple daily driver friendly upgrades so sway bars and a drop in air filter would have been some of my first things anyway. So far I just put the g force comp tires on, a front struts bar from Grimm speed because I got it for $60 and a heavier shift knob. But I this saved me some money and I can go straight to some rce yellow springs in a bit.
But yeah the dealership didn't say anything about it being a TRD so they didn't try to pass it off as one. Thanks again for clearing that up.
Grips&slips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grips&slips For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-20-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips&slips View Post
Ah ok I thought maybe some were made in different factories. And thanks guys that answers my questions. I'm glad it came with these because I want to do simple daily driver friendly upgrades so sway bars and a drop in air filter would have been some of my first things anyway. So far I just put the g force comp tires on, a front struts bar from Grimm speed because I got it for $60 and a heavier shift knob. But I this saved me some money and I can go straight to some rce yellow springs in a bit.
But yeah the dealership didn't say anything about it being a TRD so they didn't try to pass it off as one. Thanks again for clearing that up.
Not such a big deal now that they are sold through Toyota but the add on parts were a great negotiating tool back in the Scion days. Since Scion had the fixed price no haggle policy they couldn't budge on the sticker price of the car but they could give add ons at reduced or even no cost. This could add value for the buyer without impacting the sticker price. My car was loaded with TRD and other special parts which I negotiated into the deal. I ended up with $5,000 worth of extras for only $1,000 added to the sticker price. Was a great deal for me since it was all stuff I would have added later anyway if I had just bought a base car. AND it was all covered by warranty since it was dealer installed!
Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not such a big deal now that they are sold through Toyota but the add on parts were a great negotiating tool back in the Scion days. Since Scion had the fixed price no haggle policy they couldn't budge on the sticker price of the car but they could give add ons at reduced or even no cost. This could add value for the buyer without impacting the sticker price. My car was loaded with TRD and other special parts which I negotiated into the deal. I ended up with $5,000 worth of extras for only $1,000 added to the sticker price. Was a great deal for me since it was all stuff I would have added later anyway if I had just bought a base car. AND it was all covered by warranty since it was dealer installed!
Damn I wish I would have thought of that...

Though I don't think there were trd parts in 2013...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Damn I wish I would have thought of that...

Though I don't think there were trd parts in 2013...
I probably wouldn't have thought of it if my car hadn't been the show room car and had all the parts on it to show people what was available in 14. At first they tried to charge me for the parts and I said no. Then they tried to sell me one from stock with nothing on it and I said no I want that one. Next they said 50% off the parts and I said no. Then while still talking to the manager the truck pulled in with the first load of 15s and I pointed at it and said I would give them $1,000 over sticker. They said yes.
Full tint, clear bra, TRD exhaust, TRD bars, TRD drop in filter (the whole intake was not available in Canada yet) Scion spoiler and TRD lowering springs. As it turned out the "TRD" lowering springs were actually RSR Superdowns but I had them sign off that they were still covered under manufacturer warranty. They also had the most god awful very expensive, off white, staggered (9" rear, 8.5" front), TRD wheels on it but I told them to take those off and would only pay for stock.
Spuds (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
You drive a hard bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
You drive a hard bargain.
I had the advantage of not actually shopping for any car much less an FRS at that point. My Lancer was only two years old so I would not have been shopping for a new car until at least 2016. It was pure coincidence that I stumbled across it and I didn't even know they were making them. So if they hadn't done a deal I was happy with I would have just walked away and probably never have gone back. Likely be tooling around in a Genesis coupe now if I hadn't just been killing time while my Lancer was being serviced next door, my particular car hadn't been in the showroom and the 15s hadn't started to arrive right in the middle of my negotiating.
I am probably the only person on this forum that bought their car within an hour of learning they even existed at all. Boy was my wife surprised!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I had the advantage of not actually shopping for any car much less an FRS at that point. - Boy was my wife surprised!
I got the picture -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Hypnocracy (12-22-2018), Spuds (12-21-2018), Tcoat (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I got the picture -

humfrz
More like

humfrz (12-21-2018), RToyo86 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am probably the only person on this forum that bought their car within an hour of learning they even existed at all.
I was sure I was getting a Camaro, 370z or Genesis Coupe and went to the Toyota dealership just to take a look at what was there in case they had a nice used one.
I did the same thing as you, bought right after seeing it for the first time and test driving. It's weird because I usually have a pretty good grasp on what is on the road
and I can't even remember seeing a frs/brz before getting mine. And that all happened after them being out for about 2.5 years.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I was sure I was getting a Camaro, 370z or Genesis Coupe and went to the Toyota dealership just to take a look at what was there in case they had a nice used one.
I did the same thing as you, bought right after seeing it for the first time and test driving. It's weird because I usually have a pretty good grasp on what is on the road
and I can't even remember seeing a frs/brz before getting mine. And that all happened after them being out for about 2.5 years.
Yep they were very rare around here in 14. I literally bought the very first one I ever saw either in real life or even a picture.