follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
enginrd

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Enkei 17x8 RPF1 Gold with Hankook Ventus R-S3, Torque Steer?! issue solved

Wheels:
4x 17x8 Enkei Racing RPF1 GOLD - 15.6lbs
Tires:
245/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) SL

Experience:
After installation, decent amount of what feels like torque steer! Will come back to this.
Rubber is sticky, good for track day and fun on streets. They pick up and throw little rocks tho; always sounds like my wheel wells are being scratched to hell.

Torque steer:
After a few days driving around on the street, I noticed that when I accelerate, the car goes right slightly, and when I lift, car goes left. So I was thinking, "Torque steer on a rwd? Should I be worried about my alignment?" I was sure it did not happen with the stock wheels, and verified this by switching back, so alignment was ruled out. Then I contacted the dealership and the tire dealership (tirerack). Both suggested there might be a manufacturer's defect. Tirerack called it a radial pull. Both suggested, in different terms, that I rotate the wheels to isolate the trouble one.

One stock/aftermarket wheel switch, 3 partial rotations, and another wheel switch later, I determined the offender. Tirerack sent me a new tire, the local America's Tire Co remounted it on the wheel for super cheap, and Tirerack sent a UPS driver with a label to pick up the dud. TireRack even offered to reimburse for the wheel remount cost. One more wheel switch to the problem was gone (before shipping back the dud, of course), and finally it was over.

Of course this should not deter you from buying these tires. I just wanted this on the interwebs since my own searches did not return anything but reviews of FWD vehicles.

I threw in a photo of the push and another showing that all four new wheels do fit in the car. One wheel is in the trunk. Later, I was able to get that fourth tire flat in the back.
Attached Images

enginrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enginrd For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
enginrd

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pulling Tire diagnosis

Here are the instructions for diagnosing and isolating a pulling tire defect.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf pulling_tire_diagnosis.pdf (40.7 KB, 341 views)
enginrd is offline   Reply With Quote