follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlava86 View Post
please stop hurting these beautiful cars...it is actually really upsetting.
No one is "hurting" them. You are dealing with personification, which is attributing emotions and human-like qualities to inanimate objects. These cars are nothing more than metal, electronics and bolts. It'll make seeing these crashes a lot easier if you accept that fact

Honestly trying to help, because you're going to be seeing a lot more of these I'm sure.

EDIT: It doesn't help that cars make "faces" with the headlights and bumpers. Makes personification a lot easier to occur.

EDIT AGAIN: Yes I teared up and almost cried when I saw my FR-S after the crash. IT'S A PROCESS OK?
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
No one is "hurting" them. You are dealing with personification, which is attributing emotions and human-like qualities to inanimate objects. These cars are nothing more than metal, electronics and bolts. It'll make seeing these crashes a lot easier if you accept that fact

Honestly trying to help, because you're going to be seeing a lot more of these I'm sure.

EDIT: It doesn't help that cars make "faces" with the headlights and bumpers. Makes personification a lot easier to occur.
My BRZ is offended by your comment :mad:
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #31
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
That's what I'm saying, it has to be something with the dynamics of the car, unless they're hiding some other details about the incident. I knew, KNEW someone would quote sales numbers to back up why there haven't been any BRZ crashes. Gimme a break guys, there's been several reports for the FR-S, I have yet to see a BRZ crash. Prove me wrong, that's fine! I'm not trying to stir up anything bad, I really think there might be something of concern with the way the car handles. It could be ever-so-slight, or it could be another factor. I guess who knows.
It has to be something with the dynamics? Really? So I guess the testing programs from two world-class auto manufacturers wasn't able to detect this problem that you can clearly see from a few second hand accident reports on the Internet.

Have you driven an FR-S or BRZ? From what empirical evidence do you base this claim?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
That's what I'm saying, it has to be something with the dynamics of the car, unless they're hiding some other details about the incident. I knew, KNEW someone would quote sales numbers to back up why there haven't been any BRZ crashes. Gimme a break guys, there's been several reports for the FR-S, I have yet to see a BRZ crash. Prove me wrong, that's fine! I'm not trying to stir up anything bad, I really think there might be something of concern with the way the car handles. It could be ever-so-slight, or it could be another factor. I guess who knows.

Happy?
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matador For This Useful Post:
alyon (08-16-2012), Dadhawk (08-19-2012), mrlewistan (01-29-2013), Shagaliscious (08-17-2012), whataboutbob (08-17-2012), ydooby (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #33
alyon

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Despite the different production figures frs vs brz wrecks have been fairly similar it seems.
alyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
ERZperformance

Drives: Nissan GTR 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post

Happy?
Wow!
ERZperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Its common, a lot of people buying these cars are going to surprised by how it handles and won't know what to do when the car goes sideways or loses control a little bit. I say let it be, accidents are the best way to learn how to drive sometimes.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
It has to be something with the dynamics? Really? So I guess the testing programs from two world-class auto manufacturers wasn't able to detect this problem that you can clearly see from a few second hand accident reports on the Internet.

Have you driven an FR-S or BRZ? From what empirical evidence do you base this claim?
Yes, I have driven them and yes, it is possible for them to overlook these things. Hence why I made an example of the 1991-1992 MR2's as being prone to snap oversteer and causing a lot of accidents. The 1993-1995 model year MR2's were changed to a staggered tire setup as a result. They also eliminated the rear trunk in the MR2 Spyder because a full trunk in the earlier cars could upset the balance enough to cause snap oversteer issues. If you listen to what some of the pro drivers say, here's your empirical data:

Randy Pobst: "I like the Subaru better, primarily because it's less loose on entry. In the Scion, you feel the back move almost before the front. In the Subaru, it's more one piece. And I can be more aggressive entering turns with the Subaru. It's a decreasing maneuver -- I'm entering on the brakes and cornering -- and because the Subaru isn't as tail-happy, I can use more brakes entering the corner and carry more speed in. It's the same thing coming off the corner. The Subaru doesn't oversteer as easily, so I can get to the power sooner."

And the staff of Motor Trend said similar:

Lago: "The BRZ seems a bit slower to transition from understeer to oversteer than the FR-S. It stays neutral longer, where the FR-S switches quickly back and forth. I was able to hold the BRZ right in that space between the two extremes longer, and I like that extra stability."

Mortara: "Like other Subarus, the BRZ rolls, something that I actually like. This is what gives the BRZ an edge over the FR-S. The roll makes the car less edgy, less prone to kick the rear out, unless you really want it to."

Jurnecka: "On the track and skidpad, the BRZ just feels a little more dialed-in than the FR-S. There's a little more grip and a little more control -- all very, very small stuff, but it's noticeable."

Read more: http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...#ixzz23l5aPjbI

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Well, there are the wrecked BRZ's, however only the third one appears to have gotten away from the driver.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #38
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
And people claim that the FR-S has "better" suspension than the BRZ - have we seen any wrecked BRZ's yet? I think it's gotta be just a little bit too twitchy for people's own good! Reminds me of the 1991-92 MR2's and their snap-oversteer issues.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...691#post384691

whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #39
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...691#post384691

whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I like how quick people are to judge...did anyone read the article?

Quote:
This owner has 30+ years of driving experience and this was not his first or third rwd car.
He was experienced, probably a lot more then most of us.

Quote:
Well, there are the wrecked BRZ's, however only the third one appears to have gotten away from the driver.
Yea, that first one you can just buff out...he clearly slid into a pole with the shape of that damage. Driver lost control of that car.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #41
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
As stated above there have been several BRZ accidents reported on this forum. You just have to look for them.

It is not a shortcoming of the car's dynamics. It is a shortcoming of the drivers. They lack driving skill and common sense.
Dadhawk (08-19-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
noAE86

Drives: ae86, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
I like how quick people are to judge...did anyone read the article?

He was experienced, probably a lot more then most of us.

Yea, that first one you can just buff out...he clearly slid into a pole with the shape of that damage. Driver lost control of that car.
30 years driving experience does not always tally up to good car control knowlage, i know 12 year old kids with 3 years karting experience teach 30+ year olds how to track race, and 16 year old farmers who can slide a 4wd like a finland nutta,
noAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noAE86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-19-2012)