follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #43
Kaaskop

Drives: Several
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
laextreme5 already did a ditch install

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=50
Thats sweet! Thanks for the link, I missed that one.
Kaaskop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #44
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
I really, truly don't know why anyone would go to so much trouble to put a bike on their roof or trunk, especially with these cars. You essentially a 100% chance of causing damage to the car. The best way to carry bikes is with a receiver mount and receiver mount TRAY style rack. The best of these receiver mounts is the EcoHitch:

https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-an...ohitch-stealth

That hitch is rated for double the tongue weight of the Twin Hitch and unlike Draw-Tite and Curt, is available with an optional 2" receiver, making it much more versatile as long as you don't intentionally overload it..

The best tray racks are made by: 1Up, Kuat, and Yakima. Pick one and enjoy.

Buy once, cry once, and cheaper than body work or fixing a bike that's been dragged behind a car on the highway.
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #45
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been using a Seasucker mount on my roof for the last couple years to haul my mountain bike. It's a really neat design and works with any car .. just remove the front wheel and throw it in the trunk first. My brother uses it on his 350Z as well. It did leave creases on my roof where the suction cup was though, I'm pretty upset about that.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #46
bmxr

Why are you recommending something that damaged your car? /headscratch/
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #47
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxr View Post
I really, truly don't know why anyone would go to so much trouble to put a bike on their roof or trunk, especially with these cars. You essentially a 100% chance of causing damage to the car. The best way to carry bikes is with a receiver mount and receiver mount TRAY style rack. The best of these receiver mounts is the EcoHitch:

https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-an...ohitch-stealth

That hitch is rated for double the tongue weight of the Twin Hitch and unlike Draw-Tite and Curt, is available with an optional 2" receiver, making it much more versatile as long as you don't intentionally overload it..

The best tray racks are made by: 1Up, Kuat, and Yakima. Pick one and enjoy.

Buy once, cry once, and cheaper than body work or fixing a bike that's been dragged behind a car on the highway.
You forgot Swagman. I love my Sitkka 2, I've put about 15k miles on it with quite the variety of different bikes back there. It costs quite a bit less than the comparable offerings from the companies you mentioned. https://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-2/ The 3 bike model will be available in March.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #48
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just gonna add some of these trailer hitch options to my list of things to look into in the future, definitely never putting a roof rack on my BRZ.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #49
bmxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
You forgot Swagman. I love my Sitkka 2, I've put about 15k miles on it with quite the variety of different bikes back there. It costs quite a bit less than the comparable offerings from the companies you mentioned. https://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-2/ The 3 bike model will be available in March.

Did not forget. Swagman racks are OK if you really are on a budget, just like the entry level Yakima and Thule racks are, but I don't consider them "top of the line" as it relates to materials and design. Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #50
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxr View Post
Did not forget. Swagman racks are OK if you really are on a budget, just like the entry level Yakima and Thule racks are, but I don't consider them "top of the line" as it relates to materials and design. Just my opinion.
You're thinking of earlier generations of their products. They still have those in the line, like the XTC, and they are value leaders but the new stuff like the Sitkka are premium products and deserve to be considered right along with the others.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #51
flowbiscuit

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
I have the Yakima Q towers with Q91 clips and I put Lamin-X protective film on the spots where the towers go so the paint wont get scratched up. As for deformation on the roof and sills, that comes from over tightening. I used to tighten the racks so tight that the mounting pads weren't even touching the car lol. As long as you tighten the towers down enough so the rubber feet are planted, they wont move. And as for Yakima discontinuing the units, I think that is just because that unit has been on the market for a while and not enough people needed universal racks like those. Idk. But its not because they learned something concerning about mounting those units on the roof of our cars.
flowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #52
Darth Khan
I think therefore.....

Drives: Toyota 86 860 Halo White (Manual)
Garage
These cars were never designed to have a roof rack, no matter how careful you are or how much money you spend you are going to cause SOME damage to the roof. No matter how small or trivial it might be it is still damage.

I've even seen roof mounts that require drilling holes, jesus are they insane, drill frigging holes in a sports car roof. Apart from the obvious affect on resale value there is the possibility of leaks and on a low sports car it looks plain ugly.

Like others have suggested use a receiver mount and receiver mount tray style rack or use another car that can take a roof rack. I can assure you when you damage the roof you will be so pissed you will wish you had never sat on a bike.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #53
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbiscuit View Post
I have the Yakima Q towers with Q91 clips and I put Lamin-X protective film on the spots where the towers go so the paint wont get scratched up. As for deformation on the roof and sills, that comes from over tightening. I used to tighten the racks so tight that the mounting pads weren't even touching the car lol. As long as you tighten the towers down enough so the rubber feet are planted, they wont move. And as for Yakima discontinuing the units, I think that is just because that unit has been on the market for a while and not enough people needed universal racks like those. Idk. But its not because they learned something concerning about mounting those units on the roof of our cars.
Actually I spoke with one of the guys that was on the design team at Yakima when that fit was released and soon after removed from the approved fit list. He said they found out very quickly that it was a bad idea and stopped making the pads. I had rough roads and high speeds cause the bikes on the roof to wobble and loosen the towers grip on the roof to the point where I almost lost the forward bar. Thankfully I heard it clunking and was able to stop before it fell off. The bar must have deformed so much that it actually bent and I couldn't get it tight enough again after that. I had to call someone to come help me because I was 90 miles from home and had no way to get those two bikes home, already had 2 on the hitch rack.

My roof has four dents in it from that and the rack doesn't fit well at all so I can't use it anymore.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:28 AM   #54
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
One can get foldable bike to take with in twins . The more i read on them, the more i'm starting to consider them. Some of those seem to advanced rather far. And if one starts to seek compromises, weighting pros & cons, why not this?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #55
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Use sea suckers and call it a day! A lambo was never design to have a roof rack and theres a load of people rocking them without damaging anything and they go over 150mph no problem. I plan on buying a cago box soon along with sea suckers
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #56
Urzu_7

Drives: 2018 BRZ 50th Anniversary Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bump.

I saw the Rhino rack has their load rating up to 165lbs but is subject to manufacture limits. Does anyone know what those limits are for our cars?

It seems that everyone is using it for bikes or kayaks, which don't come close to the limit. However, I'm interested in using it for a rooftop tent, so I kinda need to know.

'18 BRZ "Know Your Roots" Edition
Urzu_7 is offline   Reply With Quote