follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #1513
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glvz View Post
Car: Scion FRS 2013 - M/T
Mileage: ~99,300 miles
Prior Issues: None
Mods: Intake, Lowering Springs and Exhaust

Hi,

I recently sent my Scion FRS 2013 to do the recall last week 7/08/20. They called me yesterday stating there's metal shavings in my oil and I am somewhat skeptical about this because I recently got my oil change done and they didn't mention anything about metal shavings in my oil. They also mention they will need to do an engine tear down in order to see what's the problem. This tear down is similar cost to what I've seen on the forum $2000. I called Toyota back and they said since I opted out on the engine tear down this will also void the recall warranty due to pre-existing conditions "metal shavings in oil" Keep in mind, before the call I stated to the Rep that I've read there are numerous issues after the recall. They then specified again that since I opted out of the engine inspection/tear down I will not be covered...

Sounds like they're using this "pre-existing condition" as way of covering themselves in the future, if the engine fails...

Common thing I've noticed with some reads are:
1. Take care for recall
2. Toyota calls them and wants them to pay $$ for engine tear down
3. Toyota states engine needs work so more $$ needs
4. Eventually they need to replace the engine $9,000 total cost

What do you guys recommend I should do?
Well, glvc, welcome to the forum -

Please clarify, have they done the recall work?

If not, I would suggest that you take the car back, drain the oil and carefully look for metal shavings and cut the old filter open and check for metal shavings. If you find metal shavings, you pretty well know what has to be done.

If you don't find any metal shavings, I would suggest you take your car to another dealer to have the recall work done (if it hasn't already been done).
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #1514
Schmidte50

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I’m finding that I’m in the same situation as a lot of others here...

Vehicle Mileage: 39,500
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S
Mileage When Recall Performed: 34,800
Symptom(s): Rough idling, engine stalls, car shaking, knocking sounds, various check engine codes (P000B)
Failure: 2,000 miles after the recall, engine issues occur. It was stated that the short block needed to be replaced. This was paid for by the previous owner. 200 miles after the short block was replace the vehicle still had mechanical issues. It was then stated that the oil control valve needed to be replaced. This was also paid for by the previous owner. 4,000 miles after the recall, metal fragments are found in the oil. It is stated that the engine will need to be disassembled for inspection and that the car may need a new engine. All of this not being covered by the dealership.
State: Michigan
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, all repairs after the recall and future repairs are subject to the owner. Vehicle is out of warranty.

Prior to the recall there is no mechanical issues listed in the car’s service history. After the recall numerous issues become present. Coincidence? Unbelievable. It’s unheard of that a car with under 40k miles needs a new engine.

Last edited by Schmidte50; 07-19-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Schmidte50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schmidte50 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-13-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #1515
Invisionthis

Drives: 2013 Silver FR-S
Has anyone got a update from this? I haven't heard from the lawyers since pre covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidte50 View Post
I’m finding that I’m in the same situation as a lot of others here...

Vehicle Mileage: 39,500
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S
Mileage When Recall Performed: 34,800
Symptom(s): Rough idling, engine stalls, car shaking, knocking sounds, various check engine codes (P000B)
Failure: 2,000 miles after the recall, engine issues occur. It was stated that the short block needed to be replaced. This was paid for by the previous owner. 200 miles after the short block was replace the vehicle still had mechanical issues. It was then stated that the oil control valve needed to be replaced. This was also paid for by the previous owner. 4,000 miles after the recall, metal fragments are found in the oil. It is stated that the engine will need to be disassembled for inspection and that the car may need a new engine. All of this not being covered by the dealership.
State: Michigan
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, all repairs after the recall and future repairs are subject to the owner. Vehicle is out of warranty.

Prior to the recall there is no mechanical issues listed in the car’s service history. After the recall numerous issues become present. Coincidence? Unbelievable. It’s unheard of that a car with under 40k miles needs a new engine.

Invisionthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #1516
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisionthis View Post
Has anyone got a update from this? I haven't heard from the lawyers since pre covid
It hasn't really gone anyplace.
The motion to dismiss has been denied.
But..
At this point the court has denied the first proposal to consolidate the complaints and the court has ordered the plaintiffs to consolidate their cases by the end of July and Toyota/Subaru to respond to the amendments in August.

So all in all there is zero actual discussion on the case and the Class Action doesn't even have a co-lead counsel assigned yet. Doubt there will be any real movement for years yet. If it doesn't just get thrown out before that.
If people had just gone after their individual dealers with their own lawyers they probably would have settled by now.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...ICA,_INC_et_al
Dadhawk (07-21-2020), Invisionthis (10-06-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #1517
Schmidte50

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisionthis View Post
I actually spoke to the lawyers involved in this case on the phone yesterday. They told me that they are extremely confident in winning the case. However, they are uncertain how much each of us will be compensated for damages because of the number of people effected and how expensive these engines are. They said the case will continue to go on for a while... couldn't get a true idea of how long.

I just got a call back from Toyota customer experience after contacting them last week. No help offered, they are not admitting to any issues related to the recall. I didn't purchase my vehicle from a Toyota Dealership so they are not willing to look into my case any further.
Schmidte50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schmidte50 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #1518
humfrz

Quote:
I actually spoke to the lawyers involved in this case on the phone yesterday. They told me that they are extremely confident in winning the case. However, they are uncertain how much each of us will be compensated for damages because of the number of people effected and how expensive these engines are. They said the case will continue to go on for a while... couldn't get a true idea of how long.

I just got a call back from Toyota customer experience after contacting them last week. No help offered, they are not admitting to any issues related to the recall. I didn't purchase my vehicle from a Toyota Dealership so they are not willing to look into my case any further.
I was told that by a lawyer in a past life. But, "she got the gold mine and I got the shaft".

Old 07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #1519
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
They told me that they are extremely confident in winning the case. However, they are uncertain how much each of us will be compensated for damages because of the number of people effected and how expensive these engines are.
My prediction....

The lawyers get paid, and the owners get a certificate for an oil change that may or may not include dropping the oil pan and checking the filter, although probably not.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #1520
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, she's a goner. As I got off the interstate this afternoon the knock started. I milked the bastard 20 miles home from there because the wife and I really weren't prepared to hitchike and by the time I got here the noise was impressive. You should see the looks people give you when the car is screeching, rattling, knocking and generally making all sorts of ugly noises. The strange thing is there were no lights, the oil light and cel stayed off and still aren't going on a few hours later but man, what a racket it's making. I can't figure out how to post the video I took so if anyone wants I'll email it to you so you can post it for me.

This sux, 4 people with 4 cars and only 1 works. The exhaust fell off our Durango two weeks ago and the Outback needs the entire brake system replaced, all 4 calipers and rotors and all 4 soft lines and it has now been sitting without moving for 2 years because I don't know how to do the work it needs. Good thing my daughters college just shut down for in person classes 30 minutes ago due to cases in the neighborhood where the school is.

Anyone have an early motor that they don't need? My car is an early 2013 build. I haven't worked since the middle of March so it needs to be cheap
Old 08-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #1521
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Well, she's a goner. As I got off the interstate this afternoon the knock started. I milked the bastard 20 miles home from there because the wife and I really weren't prepared to hitchike and by the time I got here the noise was impressive. You should see the looks people give you when the car is screeching, rattling, knocking and generally making all sorts of ugly noises. The strange thing is there were no lights, the oil light and cel stayed off and still aren't going on a few hours later but man, what a racket it's making. I can't figure out how to post the video I took so if anyone wants I'll email it to you so you can post it for me.

This sux, 4 people with 4 cars and only 1 works. The exhaust fell off our Durango two weeks ago and the Outback needs the entire brake system replaced, all 4 calipers and rotors and all 4 soft lines and it has now been sitting without moving for 2 years because I don't know how to do the work it needs. Good thing my daughters college just shut down for in person classes 30 minutes ago due to cases in the neighborhood where the school is.

Anyone have an early motor that they don't need? My car is an early 2013 build. I haven't worked since the middle of March so it needs to be cheap
DANG, there, gravitylover , sorry to hear that your car gave out on you -

Had it been through the recall?

Yes, do send me a sound file (humfrz@aol.com). I'll cry along with you.

Maybe you can find a mechanic that is out of work to help you fix the brakes on your Outback. Back in the day, when I was on hard economic times, I pulled parts off cars in the junk yard.

I hope you get back to work soon. You may consider a "stop the bleeding" job.

PS - Bubba suggests you fix up the exhaust of your Durango with a length of flex pipe -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #1522
gravitylover

Yes, the recall work was done ~14 months and 20k ago. No more warranty

Yeah that's the plan for the D, some flex pipe and a Thrush muffler from Advance Auto, should be about $100 including the JB Weld and bailing wire to hold it all up. I may even just put a turn down pipe rather than running it out to the back and just keep the windows open when I'm sitting in traffic.

Trying to get a friends kid to come help with the OB, he's pretty much out of work at the moment too. Amazon for parts and beer for labor is probably how it's gonna go.

The no work thing is all covid related, nobody running their biz with curbside service wants to deal with a sales rep. Who buys things from a rep that doesn't show up regularly? Catch 22 and all that... 2020 sux I want a do over.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #1523
gravitylover

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBLVDV5Jw9tNPsjz8 Maybe this will work, I don't know.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #1524
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBLVDV5Jw9tNPsjz8 Maybe this will work, I don't know.
Yep, that works. Engine does sound bad -

I'll ring up ol @Tcoat for another opinion -
Old 08-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #1525
gravitylover

What's the car worth with a blown motor and 138,000 miles?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #1526
gravitylover

Well, both the dealer and SOA have told me to go away. The dealer told me they really don't care what I think or what I do, time and mileage are against me so I'm welcome to sue if that's my choice. SOA told me the same about time and mileage and went one step further and said that 138,000 miles is beyond their expected service life for the engine anyway so they would have no interest in helping me resolve the problem.

This sux because I really do love the car but I've now resigned myself to letting it go for peanuts.

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue