follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
00frs00

Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS 2013, Rattle/Grinding Sound when stoping and shifting gears

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I know there are a car experts in this forum, and I thought you might want to share your opinion with me regarding an issue I'm having with my FRS 2013.

I will take the car to the mechanic. I just wanted to pass this by you, and see what you think...

I bought a used car last month, is a slightly used FRS 2013 with 14,500 miles. after driving the car for couple of weeks I'm noticing a weird noise.

Rattle sound:
After running the car for couple of miles and speeding up to 45 miles, a rattle sound appears when the car is in the process of stopping completely.

How to replicate the sound:
- Accelerate car until velocity reaches at least 45 miles
- Shift gears to neutral,
- Press the break to come to a complete stop,
- As the car is in the process of stopping, a rattle sound starts as velocity gets closer to 20 miles,
- Then the sound stops when the car stops.

Grinding sound:
After running the car for couple of miles, shifting grears between neutral, 1st and 2nd produce a grinding noise.

Have you had any similar experience with this type of car?
00frs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 00frs00 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00frs00 View Post
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I know there are a car experts in this forum, and I thought you might want to share your opinion with me regarding an issue I'm having with my FRS 2013.

I will take the car to the mechanic. I just wanted to pass this by you, and see what you think...

I bought a used car last month, is a slightly used FRS 2013 with 14,500 miles. after driving the car for couple of weeks I'm noticing a weird noise.

Rattle sound:
After running the car for couple of miles and speeding up to 45 miles, a rattle sound appears when the car is in the process of stopping completely.

How to replicate the sound:
- Accelerate car until velocity reaches at least 45 miles
- Shift gears to neutral,
- Press the break to come to a complete stop,
- As the car is in the process of stopping, a rattle sound starts as velocity gets closer to 20 miles,
- Then the sound stops when the car stops.

Grinding sound:
After running the car for couple of miles, shifting grears between neutral, 1st and 2nd produce a grinding noise.

Have you had any similar experience with this type of car?
Welcome to our happy clan -

Well, first off, I ain't no expert.

However, as far as the braking noise, I would suggest you first check to see if all the lug nuts are tight. Then, while you are down there, pull the wheels off and check to see if all the brake parts are tight (maybe a lose caliper or a lose brake pad).

As far as the gears acting up between first and second, this a common "thing" with some of these transmissions.

I suggest that you:

*check the transmission oil level

*check the clutch fluid level

*check the clutch adjustment
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
STIG in Nevada

Drives: 2013 FRS pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rattle/Grinding

Check the clutch throw out bearing. Mine failed along with the bearing carrier/fork.
They are poorly designed at the factory and may be the source of your issue. I had mine go bad a while back and had it replaced with a better designed set. It was rattling at idle in neutral and could, if it is far enough gone, cause issues shifting
STIG in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Check the bolts that secure the metal tray/ skid plate under the engine. If they are loose, or missing, they make all kind of noises.