follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Was this anyone you know?

I didn’t realize Our Neighbors to the North did this kind of thing. The Mounties call it “stunt driving”. That’s really an official infraction? Interesting. Probably not one of us. Going 191 mph and our BRZ/86 cars couldn’t do that down Pikes Peak with a tail wind.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/un...hway-1.4932981
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
I just saw a thread about a guy doing the same thing in a Dodge Challenger. Seems like with nobody on the highways due to COVID some guys are just going full retard out there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It was me. Boy is my dad pissed.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-12-2020), p1l0t (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
going that fast on a public highways is kind of impressive, no matter how deserted it was.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
All of Toronto’s highways have been transformed into racetracks since the roads are largely empty. A record number of speeding tickets have been handed out. Personally I haven’t seen any of this behaviour (less if anything)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Same Same

The amount of normal speed tax's being collected from normal civilians has decreased, even though average normal traffic speed has increased. Seems it's not worth breaking the 2 meter rule when not being issued masks etc. for that . Worth the brownie points for a big traffic bust though.
The numbers of cops off duty due to covid is secret, last figures released in Toronto at the beginning was 500 , and a 20 % figure was also tossed around until full censorship prevented any further info. (panic, encouraging crime etc.).

Radical speeding is only slightly up, just more drivers getting nailed. An example has to be set with severe consequences when manpower is down.
The J.P. 's have been told to be severe in court. Already talk in Gov. to increase fines jail etc.

Those "stunters" are only getting caught because the empty roads have no camouflage traffic to hide from the normal lidar, radar, etc., speed traps.
A quick pull to 180 MPH and back on an open road can be read before the "stunter" can spot a potential trap too far away to see.
Our cars are being watched more closely. I now get the hairy eyeball from cops like never before, following me a while, doing a CPIC check for fines and warrants, but not stopping my obvious "race" car.

Turdo should allow the tracks to open for tracking only, limit the number of spots, distancing a non issue, otherwise, those drivers with poor judgement and frustration will hurt us all .
FTG !
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
most cars are speed limited by the manufacturer to the tires when the vehicle is sold. my rubber is only good to 168 so something is fishy.

bet their gun hasn't been calibrated in a while.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
most cars are speed limited by the manufacturer to the tires when the vehicle is sold. my rubber is only good to 168 so something is fishy.

bet their gun hasn't been calibrated in a while.
It was a Mercedes.
The OPP lidar is calibrated before each shift.
Nothing fishy about it.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
All of Toronto’s highways have been transformed into racetracks since the roads are largely empty. A record number of speeding tickets have been handed out. Personally I haven’t seen any of this behaviour (less if anything)
I travel the 401 daily. I have always done the normal 120 but for the last few weeks I have had cars blast past me like I was parked.
It is a huge mistake since the OPP have nothing else to do so they are on the highway in force. I have now seen at least 6 cars being loaded on flatbeds while the drivers sit in the back of squad cars so you know it isn't break downs!
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
The amount of normal speed tax's being collected from normal civilians has decreased, even though average normal traffic speed has increased. Seems it's not worth breaking the 2 meter rule when not being issued masks etc. for that . Worth the brownie points for a big traffic bust though.
The numbers of cops off duty due to covid is secret, last figures released in Toronto at the beginning was 500 , and a 20 % figure was also tossed around until full censorship prevented any further info. (panic, encouraging crime etc.).

Radical speeding is only slightly up, just more drivers getting nailed. An example has to be set with severe consequences when manpower is down.
The J.P. 's have been told to be severe in court. Already talk in Gov. to increase fines jail etc.

Those "stunters" are only getting caught because the empty roads have no camouflage traffic to hide from the normal lidar, radar, etc., speed traps.
A quick pull to 180 MPH and back on an open road can be read before the "stunter" can spot a potential trap too far away to see.
Our cars are being watched more closely. I now get the hairy eyeball from cops like never before, following me a while, doing a CPIC check for fines and warrants, but not stopping my obvious "race" car.

Turdo should allow the tracks to open for tracking only, limit the number of spots, distancing a non issue, otherwise, those drivers with poor judgement and frustration will hurt us all .
FTG !
The dipshits doing these street runs won't go to a track anyway so that won't help.
I can't speak to metro TO but the rest of the highways are cluttered with people exceeding the limits of stunt driving.
Spuds (05-13-2020), Ultramaroon (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
I didn’t realize Our Neighbors to the North did this kind of thing. The Mounties call it “stunt driving”. That’s really an official infraction? Interesting. Probably not one of us. Going 191 mph and our BRZ/86 cars couldn’t do that down Pikes Peak with a tail wind.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/un...hway-1.4932981
Nobody answered your question.
Stunt driving is a charge that covers many things but is most commonly used when somebody exceeds the limit by over 50KPH (30MPH). It is a serious charge with some heavy fines and costs associated to it. He was also charged with dangerous driving so could do some substantial jail time.

And yes we speed and drive just like the US.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=139959&page=3
Spuds (05-13-2020), Ultramaroon (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #12
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post

FTG !
No idea where you're getting your numbers from on cops being inactive, but I've been all over the GTA, from Milton to Oshawa, Monday to Friday, 730-1600, and there is definitely no shortage of cops.

I haven't gotten any extra looks from the cops while I'm in my car though.

Guess you've run out of tin foil? Either that, or your disgruntled, slightly senile, old man is showing.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
No idea where you're getting your numbers from on cops being inactive, but I've been all over the GTA, from Milton to Oshawa, Monday to Friday, 730-1600, and there is definitely no shortage of cops.

I haven't gotten any extra looks from the cops while I'm in my car though.

Guess you've run out of tin foil? Either that, or your disgruntled, slightly senile, old man is showing.
I see them also - sitting in parking lots, side by side, social distancing from the civilians.
Continue enjoying the propaganda, and I know why you think your not getting extra looks, I've seen your car.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #14
RFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The dipshits doing these street runs won't go to a track anyway so that won't help.
I can't speak to metro TO but the rest of the highways are cluttered with people exceeding the limits of stunt driving.
Less county mounties causes that, they already had a very low police Civ. to PP. ratio.
It will get worse as the weather clears and the cabin fever neuroses increases.
And worse still as frustrated millennials are deprived of social contact over a long period.