follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
A lot of "sport" suspensions at this level of car and beyond are more designed for a sporty feel than actual performance. They way they designed in the handling balance characteristics on these cars is another example. I do think the PP dampers are better on track and a solid improvement in every way over the early shocks for the twins. And definitely an upgrade if your original OEM shocks have 80k miles on them!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't see why you would go through the effort and cost of switching to PP dampers/springs when you could just get one of the affordable coilover setups out there.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Mball19

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD/SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I installed TRD springs on my car with the Sachs and i think that it rides and handles better than with the stock springs. It seems to absorb impact better with the TRD springs, while being flatter in corners.
Mball19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mball19 For This Useful Post:
sroby (04-30-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mike_ZN6: imho there might be good deals for used PP ones from someone parting out them exactly because upgrading to something else. So imho instead of choice between PP vs aftermarket coilovers, it's rather OE vs PP.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #19
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mball19 View Post
I installed TRD springs on my car with the Sachs and i think that it rides and handles better than with the stock springs. It seems to absorb impact better with the TRD springs, while being flatter in corners.
Stock has always been fairly overdamped in compression and rebound...gives it that "sporty feel" that ends up being crashy in certain instances and not always the best performance or ride.

Some lowering springs are actually a better match to stock shocks in terms of rebound % critically damped than stock springs. The problem is that most of springs lower too much and there's not enough travel, so it doesn't matter. RCE Yellow (duh), TRD, Eibach Prokit, and Swift are the only springs I would consider.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I don't see why you would go through the effort and cost of switching to PP dampers/springs when you could just get one of the affordable coilover setups out there.
Sure coilovers have come a long way and "cheap" doesn't always mean bad. But not everyone wants to bother with the complexity of coilovers. And some people like myself need to keep the car OEM whether it's to maintain ride height for winter driving, or to stay in stock class at autocross.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #21
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Stock has always been fairly overdamped in compression and rebound...gives it that "sporty feel" that ends up being crashy in certain instances and not always the best performance or ride.

Some lowering springs are actually a better match to stock shocks in terms of rebound % critically damped than stock springs. The problem is that most of springs lower too much and there's not enough travel, so it doesn't matter. RCE Yellow (duh), TRD, Eibach Prokit, and Swift are the only springs I would consider.

- Andrew
Can you share some information on how the PP dampers match with the yellows vs OEM springs? Are they still slightly over damped with the Yellows?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #22
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Can you share some information on how the PP dampers match with the yellows vs OEM springs? Are they still slightly over damped with the Yellows?
Background:
1. "Critically damped" or a critical damping ratio of 1.0 means no "overshoot".
2. The "rule of thumb" damping ratio is 65% or 0.65 for sports/race cars for rebound. Some consider more than this to be "overdamped"....some consider more than critically damped (1.0) to be overdamped. For me, overdamped just means too much damping. Lots of factors could lead to more (or less) damping to be "ideal" for a given application and "ideal" will probably be different at each end of the car.
3. The ideal damping ratio also depends on piston speed. A relatively lower damping ratio for high piston speeds (bumps) is generally a good thing for some cars. A higher damping ratio for lower piston speeds (body roll) is generally a good thing for track cars. That's a digressive shock.

Since I have the #s handy....

With the 2013 shocks, the fronts are what most would call overdamped in rebound at both low and high speeds, with both stock and our RCE Yellows. Well over 1.0 in low speed (about 1.15 at 2 inches per second with RCE Yellows), and > 0.80 for high speed. The rears are between 0.60 and 0.70 for both low and high speed with our Yellows.

For PP shocks it's a little better, but not that different. I unfortunately do not have those #s handy. It certainly does not go below 0.60 up front.

- Andrew
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-22-2020), NaturallyAspirated (04-22-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (04-22-2020), solidONE (04-25-2020), Yoniyama (09-08-2021), Yoshoobaroo (04-22-2020), ZDan (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #23
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Background:
1. "Critically damped" or a critical damping ratio of 1.0 means no "overshoot".
2. The "rule of thumb" damping ratio is 65% or 0.65 for sports/race cars for rebound. Some consider more than this to be "overdamped"....some consider more than critically damped (1.0) to be overdamped. For me, overdamped just means too much damping. Lots of factors could lead to more (or less) damping to be "ideal" for a given application and "ideal" will probably be different at each end of the car.
3. The ideal damping ratio also depends on piston speed. A relatively lower damping ratio for high piston speeds (bumps) is generally a good thing for some cars. A higher damping ratio for lower piston speeds (body roll) is generally a good thing for track cars. That's a digressive shock.

Since I have the #s handy....

With the 2013 shocks, the fronts are what most would call overdamped in rebound at both low and high speeds, with both stock and our RCE Yellows. Well over 1.0 in low speed (about 1.15 at 2 inches per second with RCE Yellows), and > 0.80 for high speed. The rears are between 0.60 and 0.70 for both low and high speed with our Yellows.

For PP shocks it's a little better, but not that different. I unfortunately do not have those #s handy. It certainly does not go below 0.60 up front.

- Andrew
That's helpful, thanks! My main worry about PP+Yellows was that the extra spring rate would overwhelm the shocks.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #24
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Not to thread jack, but it’s related. so do you go rce yellows/ Bilstein b6 or another lower spring with b6 for DD or go to coil overs. Have 50k on my stockers but will be thinking about it in a year or two with my mileage a year (15k a year)
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
That's helpful, thanks! My main worry about PP+Yellows was that the extra spring rate would overwhelm the shocks.
IMO slightly spring rates (within reason) "overwhelming" shocks is a bit of a myth...

The fact is that critical damping varies with the *square root* of spring rate, not linearly. So a given damper will generally accommodate a fairly wide range of spring rates. If you were at, say 75% of critical damping with stock springs, you'll be at 66% critical damping with 30% stiffer springs.

I don't feel underdamped at all running Swift BRZ Sport springs with the stock PP dampers, and they're 34%F/43%R stiffer than stock. If anything still overdamped in terms of high-speed damping.

My bigger concern is the lack of bump travel with the stock dampers and running 30mm lower than stock...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
i8ur911 (04-22-2020), Yoshoobaroo (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #26
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Not to thread jack, but it’s related. so do you go rce yellows/ Bilstein b6 or another lower spring with b6 for DD or go to coil overs. Have 50k on my stockers but will be thinking about it in a year or two with my mileage a year (15k a year)
Good question...our first BRZ shop car (owned by Myles) got a whole lot of goodies and was pretty track focused.We ran RCE Tarmac 2s, Ohlins (modified), JRZ, Bilstein, etc.

For our 2nd shop car....which is my personal car...we were targeting a more mild mostly DD build. My initial plan was Bilstein B6 with our RCE Yellows, which I'd spent plenty of time on. That changed because the Bilsteins were out of stock for like 2 years, and then we developed our RCE SS1 coilovers. So I helped develop those and run the final product on my car (and now it's turning into a rally-x car, but that's another story).

The advantage of the Bilstein B6 + RCE Yellow setup is that it's simple. Just put them on, get a good alignment, and go have fun. It rides and handles well, and you can focus on driving. One limitation is that it's not ideal with wide sticky tires. But with a 225 Michelin PS4s or similar, it's great. For roughly $1200, it's a great simple DD set up for a fun street car.

Coilovers can be better, but they're not always better. The damper itself is the most important part of the equation and most options under $1500 have valving that is not as good as a Bilstein B6. More features like height adjustability and camber plates etc., but the shock valving itself isn't always great. They may not have a lot of travel and the camber plates they use can be junk.

That said...there are a couple good coilover options under $1500 with impressive valving for the money. You'll usually get stiffer spring rates than RCE Yellows (which is good if you have stickier and/or wider tires), and sometimes more travel. The good ones at that price point (RCE SS1, CSG Flex, Bilstein B14) will ride at least as good as stock with much better handling. They'll still require a bit more effort to get set up just right, but shops like us will help you with that.

Beyond $1500, most coilovers will be more track focused, but can still be tuned to provide a good DD ride with the right set up.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer PMs too.

- Andrew
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Ernest72 (04-23-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (04-23-2020), Stonehorsw (09-09-2021), Tanstin (04-23-2020), TofuJoe (04-25-2020), twasd (04-09-2023)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #27
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Good question...our first BRZ shop car (owned by Myles) got a whole lot of goodies and was pretty track focused.We ran RCE Tarmac 2s, Ohlins (modified), JRZ, Bilstein, etc.

For our 2nd shop car....which is my personal car...we were targeting a more mild mostly DD build. My initial plan was Bilstein B6 with our RCE Yellows, which I'd spent plenty of time on. That changed because the Bilsteins were out of stock for like 2 years, and then we developed our RCE SS1 coilovers. So I helped develop those and run the final product on my car (and now it's turning into a rally-x car, but that's another story).

The advantage of the Bilstein B6 + RCE Yellow setup is that it's simple. Just put them on, get a good alignment, and go have fun. It rides and handles well, and you can focus on driving. One limitation is that it's not ideal with wide sticky tires. But with a 225 Michelin PS4s or similar, it's great. For roughly $1200, it's a great simple DD set up for a fun street car.

Coilovers can be better, but they're not always better. The damper itself is the most important part of the equation and most options under $1500 have valving that is not as good as a Bilstein B6. More features like height adjustability and camber plates etc., but the shock valving itself isn't always great. They may not have a lot of travel and the camber plates they use can be junk.

That said...there are a couple good coilover options under $1500 with impressive valving for the money. You'll usually get stiffer spring rates than RCE Yellows (which is good if you have stickier and/or wider tires), and sometimes more travel. The good ones at that price point (RCE SS1, CSG Flex, Bilstein B14) will ride at least as good as stock with much better handling. They'll still require a bit more effort to get set up just right, but shops like us will help you with that.

Beyond $1500, most coilovers will be more track focused, but can still be tuned to provide a good DD ride with the right set up.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer PMs too.

- Andrew
Not the guy who asked the question, but thank you. Very informative

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tanstin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-23-2020), Ernest72 (04-23-2020), Racecomp Engineering (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #28
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
Not the guy who asked the question, but thank you. Very informative

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I echo above. Thank you very much.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post: