follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking at a Miata after the FR-S

I'm in the market for a new car, after my FR-S was flooded. While another FR-S/BRZ/86 is a possibility, it looks like I would likely have to get one with far more miles than mine had (6,100 when purchased, 9,800 when totaled, MY 2015), and possibly pay more to boot (paid $20K for mine). That feels like adding insult to injury.

The problem though is that I'm really picky about cars, and the FR-S was the only car on my short list last time. So the big question was, is there any other car out there that can thrill me for around the same price? I rushed out to test drive a Miata, because I was just looking for a quick yes or no on this question.

While I've heard great things about the Miata, I was still concerned because I've always heard you have to get it with a stick, which I have strong reservations about. My friend showed me how to drive a stick one day. And while I didn't want to go back to my automatic afterwards, I was far from fully confident with a stick, didn't try hills or traffic, didn't know about rev matching, and certainly didn't try heel toeing. And it was 15 years ago.

Anyway, I got into a 2019 Miata Grand Touring automatic, and my god, it was a blast to drive! Forgive me for saying this, but it was more fun than the FR-S. The FR-S is a super cool car, but it's only particularly fun above 5,000 RPMs or when taking turns too fast. The Miata is fun at all times.

Speaking just for myself, I feel that the auto FR-S has to be driven in manual mode, otherwise there's not much point of having that car. But I didn't get that feeling at all with the Miata. I kept it in D and while I sure noticed the peppy engine, I wasn't really thinking about the revs, but was focused on the handling and the open roof. I tried the paddle shifters briefly and they don't seem nearly as good as the ones on the FR-S, but I don't know if I would even use them. I'm still not ruling out the possibility of getting a manual, but the automatic is terrific.

While the Miata is my top choice right now, I had never considered one before. One reason was I don't find it much to look at, but that's less important to me now. I guess I got it out of my system, having owned a beautiful FR-S. Another reason was the price. While certainly affordable, it's a go-kart and I was expecting go-kart pricing, not for it to cost as much as a car.

Another reason is the attached, from the 2018 Consumer Reports auto issue. Please explain the poor reliability rating, as I always hear people saying it has great reliability. In the 2019 auto issue, it got a single green up arrow for reliability. Did something just go wrong in 2018?
Attached Images

Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
The answer is always Miata.
If you love the roadster set up and don't need to carry people or luggage it's a no brainer.
While I find the idea of an auto tranny sport car is a joke, but eh to each their own.

As far as other cars to consider, your budget is something around $20k? A sport car obviously right?

But really you can't go wrong with a Miata.

I tried to look up issues with the '18 Miata the only thing that popped up is the auto tranny shift points.(sudden down shifting or laggy shifting) Pretty much just buy a manual and you avoid that issue is what every reviewer says.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #3
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If i were going to get a 2 seater, I'd probably go for a Cayman, Boxster, or Corvette. The Miata is a relatively boring car. New Corvettes can be had for under 50k, I hear. Used ones are much less. Cayman and Boxster are a lot of fun.

Plus I don't fit in a Miata.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
As far as other cars to consider, your budget is something around $20k? A sport car obviously right?
Sports car, yes, under a broad definition of "sports car." For another FR-S my budget would be $20K, as I wouldn't want to replace my car with a more expensive, higher mileage version of itself. For other cars though I'd say I could go up to $25 or $30K for new or gently used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
If i were going to get a 2 seater, I'd probably go for a Cayman, Boxster, or Corvette. The Miata is a relatively boring car. New Corvettes can be had for under 50k, I hear. Used ones are much less. Cayman and Boxster are a lot of fun.
I might get a Cayman or Boxster later in life, but I'm looking for entry level right now. I used to really like Corvettes but for some reason they don't seem as appealing to me anymore, and they have all kinds of problems.
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There are a couple of used options that rarely get mentioned here because of a few subjective reasons but may suit your needs and price point.

Genesis coupe - Forget that it is a Hyundai and all the past issues that would mean. The last 10 years have changed all that and it is a more than capable coupe. Not a bad choice if you want to keep rear seats.

370Z - They haven't updated them much over the years but again a very capable car if you can get over those ugly ass door handles.

A last gen Mustang or Camaro in any of the engine configurations. The most recent versions (especially the 4 and 6s)are starting to be closer to sports cars than muscle cars. Down side is of course they are everywhere you look.

Last edited by Tcoat; 07-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-12-2019), Lantanafrs2 (07-12-2019), Spuds (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
The answer is always Miata.
If you love the roadster set up and don't need to carry people or luggage it's a no brainer.
Assuming you fit. It really is the gold standard for "affordable, reliable, light convertible".

In fact, I've been looking around and there isn't another car that exists similar to an old miata in the last 30 years. Which frustrates me, since my knees hit the steering wheel, shoulder hits the door card and helmet would stick up well above the "roof". I've decided a 986-987 boxter is about as close as I'll be able to get, although they're quite a bit heavier, and a good one is about 4x as much money, hah.

If you fit comfortably though... I don't know many people who have regretted a Miata.
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I went from 911 Turbo to Miata to FRS. The Miata just didn't grab me for many reasons. FRS ticked all the boxes for what I was after.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
I too considered a Miata but can't get over the image.. cute girl's car or in the UK, they call it a hair stylist's car. Agree that its fun to drive. The open top and small size exaggerates the sensation of speed. Talked to most of my friends and they said they refuse to sit in the car with me.
Attached Images

James H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-12-2019), wbradley (07-16-2019), xdavidx (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
LSK

Drives: BRZ Limited w/Performance Package
Yeah if you can live with the small size then by all means the Miata.

I'm using my BRZ as a fun commuter, but when I went to look at the Miata RF the trunk space and the size of the car in general was a joke to me. the trunk is basically enough for a large backpack from what I saw.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You might want to consider a Fiat Spider 124. Built by Mazda on the Miata chassis, but with a turbocharged Fiat engine. Personally I like the looks of the Fiat better than the Miata, and the trunk is just a tad bit bigger. Now, that being said, there is the quite real possibility of reliability issues with the engine. Also, the Fiat dealers might not be as savvy towards the car's maintenance. I think you will find the Fiat drives a lot like the Miata. The top works the same. Finally, the price of the Fiat should be lower than the Miata. Boy, I think I pretty much talked you out of the Fiat! Anyway, it's another option for you. Thanks for putting up with this worthless post....
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (12-11-2019), Tcoat (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Kia Stinger?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
You might want to consider a Fiat Spider 124. ..... the price of the Fiat should be lower than the Miata...

I was about to take exception to this statement, but I checked and it's true. Weird!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower View Post

While I've heard great things about the Miata, I was still concerned because I've always heard you have to get it with a stick, which I have strong reservations about. My friend showed me how to drive a stick one day. And while I didn't want to go back to my automatic afterwards, I was far from fully confident with a stick, didn't try hills or traffic, didn't know about rev matching, and certainly didn't try heel toeing. And it was 15 years ago.

I would highly recommend just getting it in a manual. It's not that hard to pick up and the learning and improving process is actually a lot of fun. I have taught a number of people to drive manuals and every one of them have become proficient for basic traffic within the first day.

As for the miata itself, I am like the guy who posted that guy with a bag over his head driving one. Not sure that I could personally handle the image issue, but if you are good with that it is a really great car. I put the corvette in that same bag over head category, just on the other end of the spectrum. To be fair though, the new miata looks a lot more masculine and there is a chance it will shake the 'hairdresser' car image with the newer generation. It's mostly just old guys (like me) who think of a miata as the cutesy pop up headlight 1st gen from the 90s.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
I too considered a Miata but can't get over the image.. cute girl's car or in the UK, they call it a hair stylist's car. Agree that its fun to drive. The open top and small size exaggerates the sensation of speed. Talked to most of my friends and they said they refuse to sit in the car with me.