follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Swaggrenox

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need to say goodbye to my BRZ 2017 soon

First, I gotta say I love this car more than anything. I love everything about it, the looks, the driving experience, the responsiveness, the low center of gravity, everything.

I've been driving it for over 5 years, and I still can't get enough of it every morning, and every night coming back home.

It pains me to know that I'll have to change cars very soon.

I am turning 30, becoming a father soon, and I have parents who needs a lift from time to time, my pregnant wife will soon find it more difficult to get in and out of the vehicle, I will have to have a rear-facing baby seat soon.

I know my time with this car is limited, and I have every reason in the world to get another more convenient car for my situation.

I've researched baby seats a bit, and while it's possible, I don't think it's optimal at all. I also want to move on, and not cause any more trouble to my pregnant wife, my future baby, my parents and as much as I love the car, I know when to compromise.

I haven't driven many cars in my life. I owned a Civic, drove a base model Impreza for a month, tried an old Acura 1.6, and the amazing BRZ. So I need your knowledge to help me choose my next car.

I'm not a big fan of SUVs or big cars, I want to drive a AWD sedan and my budget is about the same as the 2019 BRZ premium's price. I'd love my new car to retain a bit of a driver's car experience. I don't mind buying used but no more than 2-3 years old. I don't care about all the gimmicks that come with new cars. I just want something that is still fun to drive around. It doesn't have to do 0-100 in 5 seconds, but below 8 seconds would be great.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Swaggrenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
For this price point, you've got the wrx or a Golf, not sure what else. WRX is a good compromise and will feel familiar a little at least.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Re: Need to say goodbye to my BRZ 2017 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggrenox View Post
First, I gotta say I love this car more than anything. I love everything about it, the looks, the driving experience, the responsiveness, the low center of gravity, everything.

I've been driving it for over 5 years, and I still can't get enough of it every morning, and every night coming back home.

You've been driving your 2017 for 5 years?

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of SUVs or big cars, I want to drive a AWD sedan and my budget is about the same as the 2019 BRZ premium's price. I'd love my new car to retain a bit of a driver's car experience. I don't mind buying used but no more than 2-3 years old. I don't care about all the gimmicks that come with new cars. I just want something that is still fun to drive around. It doesn't have to do 0-100 in 5 seconds, but below 8 seconds would be great.

Used STI ?

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-24-2019), Summerwolf (04-24-2019), whataboutbob (05-30-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It sounds like a WRX would fit your needs. Btw, how have you been driving a 2017 BRZ "for over 5 years"?
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Swaggrenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
You've been driving your 2017 for 5 years?
I had the 2013 BRZ before my 2017, sorry for the confusion !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swaggrenox For This Useful Post:
JoeC (04-25-2019), whataboutbob (05-30-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
Swaggrenox

It seems like the WRX is the best alternative. Have any of you drove one ? How different does it feel ? I'll definitely go for a test drive but wanted to have an idea first.

I'm a pretty big Subaru fan so I had the WRX in mind as well, but it eats gas like crazy apparently.

I saw the 2020 Legacy is getting a turbo back and being released this fall, albeit a different car aimed at a different audience, what are your takes on it ? It's no driver's car but all the changes make it look quite promising.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd say WRX as well. While a Golf or GTI would be nice, they are nothing but headaches. I ditched mine after 7 months and needing to constantly fix it nearly every weekend.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Charger gt, taurus sho.... there are a couple more options but limiting yourself to 30k awd sedans is a pretty small pool relatively speaking.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
In the realm of new cars, there's also the awd Regal. I actually got a TourX wagon version a few months ago. Brand new *2018* for 27ish. They didn't sell well last year so you should find some good discounts. And boy is "roomy" an understatement. Very different (I'd almost say completely opposite) from the twins obviously, but entertaining in it's own way.

And there's also the Subaru legacy.

Edit: Also, Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack if you don't mind a longer hatchback/short wagon.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (06-15-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
1. Hatchback for the stroller. No lifting over the gate.
2. Raised height makes getting in easier for old folks. It also makes buckling kids into child seats much easier.
3. Dark, unperforated leather because it resists messes better.
4. AWD for Canada.

So you probably want a crossover. 2 or 3 rows. Forester, Outback, Ascent for Subaru. A million other choices out there. You will outgrow an Impreza-based vehicle, hatch or otherwise. The previous get RAV 4 is crap so I'd avoid it.

If you must have a sedan, the Chevy Volt and Toyota Prius are the ultimate in utility as efficient point to point vehicles.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #11
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

It pains me to know that I'll have to change cars very soon.

I am turning 30, becoming a father soon, and I have parents who needs a lift from time to time, my pregnant wife will soon find it more difficult to get in and out of the vehicle, I will have to have a rear-facing baby seat soon.

I know my time with this car is limited, and I have every reason in the world to get another more convenient car for my situation.

I've researched baby seats a bit, and while it's possible, I don't think it's optimal at all. I also want to move on, and not cause any more trouble to my pregnant wife, my future baby, my parents and as much as I love the car, I know when to compromise.

I haven't driven many cars in my life. I owned a Civic, drove a base model Impreza for a month, tried an old Acura 1.6, and the amazing BRZ. So I need your knowledge to help me choose my next car.

Sounds similar to me. I just went and bought the new corolla hatch in a manual as my second car/wifes car. Problem solved, my advice is look into keeping that car and get an additional car if you can swing it. You will regret selling it I suspect. In my situation I have my 86 totally paid off and I have good credit so picking up a new car wasn't an issue. Also my wife and I are not having kids for about another year or so.

If you still owe on the twin then it totally makes sense to sell it, but if it is paid off or almost paid off. Keep it, buy another car for you and your wife.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
JMon85

Drives: 2019 WRX
Quote:
It seems like the WRX is the best alternative. Have any of you drove one ? How different does it feel ? I'll definitely go for a test drive but wanted to have an idea first.

I'm a pretty big Subaru fan so I had the WRX in mind as well, but it eats gas like crazy apparently.

I saw the 2020 Legacy is getting a turbo back and being released this fall, albeit a different car aimed at a different audience, what are your takes on it ? It's no driver's car but all the changes make it look quite promising.
I think i average 22-24 mpg w/wrx. But yeah.. if your on boost alot.. say goodbye to your gas!
JMon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I switched back to a 2 door when my daughter was 5. Always had a primary 4 door SUV/truck though. No way I would wrestle a car seat in the back of the twin.

Now that she's 7 she climbs right in the back of BRZ and gets herself situated. She prefers the '83 Toyota 4x4 because she gets to sit in the "front seat".

During the week she rides in my wife's Tacoma, on the weekends we all drive the Tacoma. It's a treat for her to go in one of my cars.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
always sucks to hear people giving up the 86 due to their kid I put up with the inconvenience to give my kid the experience of growing up in an 86 from day one so that he'll be an expert on torque dip

..but if ya insist my vote would go to a used Stinger GT if you want an automatic or C-TR if you want something with a stick. Chevy SS would be awesome too if you don't mind the bland exterior. WRX/STI is cool but a bit long in the tooth and sadly no hatch anymore..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-24-2019)