follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EcuTek Launch Control not working

I've had my car tuned with EcuTek and had Launch Control on map 2 working since June; however, after I got my redline hard fuel cutoff changed to soft fuel cutoff at 7200rpm (timing retard from 7200rpm, 7400 rev limit), the Launch Control no longer works.

I put my car in Map 2, 1st gear, clutch pressed then full throttle...it goes up to my preset of 4000rpm, but then slowly goes down to idle and stalls. My tuner took off the timing retard at 7200rpm, but issue still occurs.

My tuner is going to contact EcuTek, but anyone have any ideas?
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
I've had my car tuned with EcuTek and had Launch Control on map 2 working since June; however, after I got my redline hard fuel cutoff changed to soft fuel cutoff at 7200rpm (timing retard from 7200rpm, 7400 rev limit), the Launch Control no longer works.

I put my car in Map 2, 1st gear, clutch pressed then full throttle...it goes up to my preset of 4000rpm, but then slowly goes down to idle and stalls. My tuner took off the timing retard at 7200rpm, but issue still occurs.

My tuner is going to contact EcuTek, but anyone have any ideas?
Did they adjust the target AFR for launch and Flat foot shift, if so get them to chage it back to default value 9.5 i think it a combined value for both features.

is the cruise stalk able to adjust the default launch setting ?

are they using latest race rom 9 patch ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Eazy-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Did they adjust the target AFR for launch and Flat foot shift, if so get them to chage it back to default value 9.5 i think it a combined value for both features.

is the cruise stalk able to adjust the default launch setting ?

are they using latest race rom 9 patch ?
The cruise stalk seems to work, but once rpms reach the set limit it just goes down slowly until stall.

I'll see what AFR my tuner has set in tune.

Any other thoughts?

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Actually have something similar. First time trying. It was hit or miss whether it would even work or not. Some times it would just shoot to redline, some times it would activate launch control. The times it did activate launch control, it would either start raising the RPM slowly or would only activate for a couple seconds then go to redline. I only got 2 out of almost a dozen launch attempts that I was actually able to use. Both times the car fell on its face though.

Interesting to note I have had nothing but issues with Ecutek. Car ran great on OFT with Speed by Design Turbo kit. Once I loaded the Ecutek tune car ran like crap. Spent hours troubleshooting issues with my car to find nothing (Even paid a shop to look over the car for me to make sure I didn't miss anything) and the Tuner swears up and down that the tune is solid and not causing the issues. Before the winter tear down I might load back the OFT tune and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Actually have something similar. First time trying. It was hit or miss whether it would even work or not. Some times it would just shoot to redline, some times it would activate launch control. The times it did activate launch control, it would either start raising the RPM slowly or would only activate for a couple seconds then go to redline. I only got 2 out of almost a dozen launch attempts that I was actually able to use. Both times the car fell on its face though.

Interesting to note I have had nothing but issues with Ecutek. Car ran great on OFT with Speed by Design Turbo kit. Once I loaded the Ecutek tune car ran like crap. Spent hours troubleshooting issues with my car to find nothing (Even paid a shop to look over the car for me to make sure I didn't miss anything) and the Tuner swears up and down that the tune is solid and not causing the issues. Before the winter tear down I might load back the OFT tune and see what happens.
Did you ever try another tuner?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
.... or load the OFT tune via ECUtek. I would be tempted to pass the OFT tune to the tuner and get him to base his tune from that.

To get launch control to work you have to be in neutral 1st, clutch not depressed. This is often overlooked. No idea why the revs would rise or fall. I suspect that it may be changed settings that cause this weird behaviour. There is little reason to change from the default config in ECUtek.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
Eazy-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
.... or load the OFT tune via ECUtek. I would be tempted to pass the OFT tune to the tuner and get him to base his tune from that.

To get launch control to work you have to be in neutral 1st, clutch not depressed. This is often overlooked. No idea why the revs would rise or fall. I suspect that it may be changed settings that cause this weird behaviour. There is little reason to change from the default config in ECUtek.
I tested it again today...same thing

It hits the rev limit then just drops until stalling; however, if I let go of the gas then I can prevent it from stalling, but it will just repeat the cycle.

The only thing the tuner changed was adding a timing retard at 7200 to prevent over revving to hit the hard fuel cutoff of 7400. We removed the timing retard and put hard cutoff at 7600, but still no launch control.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Have you tried logging it to see what's happening? Strange that it would suddenly start to do that, however it would be wise to get the data and get it over to the guys at ECUtek to see if there's a bug, setting or hardware issue.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Did you ever try another tuner?
Wasn't worth paying to get another tune at the time. Set-up was changing over winter pretty drastically and a new tuner most likely selected. Car runs decent on E85 (besides miserable MPG). So I just don't run pump gas.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Have you tried logging it to see what's happening? Strange that it would suddenly start to do that, however it would be wise to get the data and get it over to the guys at ECUtek to see if there's a bug, setting or hardware issue.
Probably software related.
The LC implemenation that I have seen checks if clutch is depressed and speed in under a threshold. A value is then added to the RPM value which is checked against the fuel cut RPM value. I suspect that the conditions where you are at launch RPM has your ECU thinking that you are at peak RPM for some parts of the code and not for others and this is at the root of your issue.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #11
Eazy-V

My tuner removed LC from all maps and re-added and still the same thing, so they are going to send the data logs to EcuTek to check.

Anyone know exactly how launch control works in terms of what the software actually is doing?

Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post

Sad to hear you've had troubles. Who did you tune with for EcuTek?
If you want to shoot me a copy of your OFT tune I can change it to EcuTek properly for you when I have some spare time?
EcuTek VS OFT is just a tune file access system so essentially the same tune should run the same regardless of if you are using EcuTek, OFT, EcuFlash, brzEdit, RomRaider or any other system that will open edit and save out ROMs.

In regards to the LC issue, you say when you release the gas after it starts to die, it comes back to life and doesn't stall? That tells me it's an issue in the tune. Possibly when changing the fuel cut logic, your tuner has accidentally changed something OR forgot to change something back? Do you have a copy of the ROM file from BEFORE you asked for the change in fuel cut/rev limiter? Try flashing that on if you do. That will tell you 100% if it is in the new tune file or if it is the car itself (unlikely)
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Eazy-V

The tuner and I were able to get this resolved a few months ago. I noticed my rev limiter was behaving the same way as the LC limiter, so the tuner fixed the rev limiter to properly bounce which fixed the LC bounce.