follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #29
Xa9128

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry to revive an old thread but did anyone get this figured out? Mine just started doing this. It seems to go away after it warms up and I think may go away when the clutch is depressed (just started today so I haven't had much time to test it all out). I've had the car for about 2 yrs and this is the first time I'm hearing it.
Xa9128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #30
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa9128 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but did anyone get this figured out? Mine just started doing this. It seems to go away after it warms up and I think may go away when the clutch is depressed (just started today so I haven't had much time to test it all out). I've had the car for about 2 yrs and this is the first time I'm hearing it.
your manual is acting like the op's auto problems?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
IIRC it turned out to be the throwout bearing. I never would've guessed it.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #32
Xa9128

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
your manual is acting like the op's auto problems?
More like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I'm at 68k and I just started hearing this sound in my manual FRS. Only when cold, after driving for about 10 mins the sound goes away completely. I never heard this sound until now and I've had the car since it was new. This sound to me is not normal and indicates something is up. I suspect it is low trans fluid, that's my only thought. I'm gonna bring it by a shop to check it out. I'll update if we figure out what the issue is.
It shifts just fine so I don't think anything is up with the tranny/clutch but the sound changes when the clutch is depressed.

Quote:
So after listening to it more closely it is coming from the engine area. I don't hear it when not under load after it warms up. I found a video that has the exact same noise, could anyone take a look and let me know what they think that sound may be?
Video example:

In the comments it is mentioned this is due to a bad alternator diode can anyone with experience confirm or refute this?
It sounds pretty similar to this which sounds like it may different from the OP's problem so I may keep searching or start a new thread. I took a couple vids I can upload after I get off work the should help get to the bottom of it.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
IIRC it turned out to be the throwout bearing. I never would've guessed it.
Quote:
More like this

It shifts just fine so I don't think anything is up with the tranny/clutch but the sound changes when the clutch is depressed.

It sounds pretty similar to this which sounds like it may different from the OP's problem so I may keep searching or start a new thread. I took a couple vids I can upload after I get off work the should help get to the bottom of it.
Pretty much guarantee it is the TOB. I could play a little song with mine just by varying the pressure on the clutch. Always went away after it warmed up.
DaBoBo21 (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #34
Xa9128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pretty much guarantee it is the TOB. I could play a little song with mine just by varying the pressure on the clutch. Always went away after it warmed up.
After looking up vids of throwout bearing noise, I'd say you nailed man. I'll check threw the diy and maintenance sections and see how simple/complicated the job is. Hopefully it's something I can do myself. Thanks for quick replies guys.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
After looking up vids of throwout bearing noise, I'd say you nailed man. I'll check threw the diy and maintenance sections and see how simple/complicated the job is. Hopefully it's something I can do myself. Thanks for quick replies guys.
It difficult if you can get the car up in the air and have some basic tools.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
More like this

Hey yeah it sounds like the TOB. In my case I can confirm it was the TOB, check the thread I started for my issue: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121318
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #37
Xa9128

Quote:
It difficult if you can get the car up in the air and have some basic tools.
I've got tools but no jack that will fit under so I guess it's a no go.

Quote:
Hey yeah it sounds like the TOB. In my case I can confirm it was the TOB, check the thread I started for my issue: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121318
Thanks. Do you remember how much it ran you to get the TOB replaced?

I'll still probably post the vid when I get off but it sounds like you guys have already figured it out.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:

I'll still probably post the vid when I get off but it sounds like you guys have already figured it out.
There is a service bulletin for it so if in warranty it should not cost anything. If out of warranty and you talk nice to the dealer they may still do it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117440
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #39
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:

Yes but keep in mind I'm in Northern California (Bay Area) so prices may be a litte different. Also I had a trusted speciality shop theracersline do the repair who does great work for reasonable prices.

TOB full cost was 460 I think (+labor). I got a new clutch kit installed so I paid more than that. I think my total was 650ish. Honestly I could be off by $100 on both prices.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Yes but keep in mind I'm in Northern California (Bay Area) so prices may be a litte different. Also I had a trusted speciality shop theracersline do the repair who does great work for reasonable prices.

TOB full cost was 460 I think (+labor). I got a new clutch kit installed so I paid more than that. I think my total was 650ish. Honestly I could be off by $100 on both prices.
The bearing should be around $50 for the part.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #41
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
The bearing should be around $50 for the part.
Right, I didn't word it right. The total TOB job was around 460 including labor of If I remember correctly. I remember him telling me the charge for the actual TOB was around 30 to 40ish.

Also note that the 2017 86/BRZ got an updated TOB (same part but with updated grease compound or something). The new 2017 version is rated to be slightly more durable and last a little longer. So when buying the part or going to a shop be sure you get the 2017 version of the TOB for that updated grease.
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Right, I didn't word it right. The total TOB job was around 460 including labor of If I remember correctly. I remember him telling me the charge for the actual TOB was around 30 to 40ish.

Also note that the 2017 86/BRZ got an updated TOB (same part but with updated grease compound or something). The new 2017 version is rated to be slightly more durable and last a little longer. So when buying the part or going to a shop be sure you get the 2017 version of the TOB for that updated grease.
The updated part number is on the TSB that I linked earlier.
DandoX (11-09-2017)