follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: 10 series/Monogram Owners Fog Light Preference
Don't care about fog lights 3 14.29%
Fine with OEM/similar halogen fog lights 7 33.33%
Want Bi-Xenon fog lights but only if the wiring is straight forward 7 33.33%
Want bi-xenon fog lights no matter what 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
OLM bixenon fog light and wiring harness for fog with high beams

So I'll be upfront here that I know doing this the way I would do it is more expensive but its my quirk. I'm going to be getting the OEM fog light kit first because factory wiring is a big deal to me for maximum plug and play so I know I'm going to be in the hole the initial 300 some dollars there.

So question #1 is will the OLM Bixenon fog housing work with the FR-S OEM braket meant to hold the stock fog light housing in place.
The answer is yes, perfect plug and play. It works the same way the OEM kit does from Toyota and as FT86SpeedFactory's video shows in the install on a WRX.

Question #2 is then what about the wiring and the harness FT86SpeedFactory sells. I've been looking at the picture of the wiring kit from FT86speedfactory and from what I can tell its meant for the base FR-S headlights. Has anybody tackled this on a monogram/10 series FR-S and could share. I definitely want projectors to match for a clean front look and if I can get them with high beams awesome.

Regular FR-S Halogen Headlights:
The kit is set up to be plug and play for your setup. You can completely skip buying the OEM fog light kit to get that wiring if you want by purchasing the same 2 connectors the harness uses for the high beam input to do with the low beam input and modify the FT86SpeedFactory Harness. The reason is because the fogs won't work under the OEM setup unless the Main Body ECU see's its dark enough outside and then energizes the headlight relays anyways to switch away from DRL's. Your own personal choice.

10 Series/Monogram/Release Series:
There area two options for us to do this with varying tweeks to each.
1.) With the OEM factory fog wiring and modify the FT86 Speed Factory harness by removing the extra plug meant for the base series high beam input and then use that pig tail with taps on the headlight power feed. You would then plug everything else as intended on the harness.
2.) Skip the OEM factory fog lights wiring and main body ECU and tap the Xenon bulb + and - and run down to a H11 pigtail to plug into the all in one HID ballast. Option 2 is the cheapest.

If you don't want to tap the cars OEM wiring harness you can add a jumper section like I'm working on which makes it easy to remove the kit if needed and sell the car with no modifications to the harness.

Question 3 is how to power the shutter for high beam functionality.You'll likely need some additional wire handy as I'm fairly certain from looking that the pig tail that comes with the projector housings won't reach down far enough to work.

Regular FR-S Halogen Headlights:
Route additional wiring in with the same tap for the high beams where you connect the pigtail. Run this down to the projector housing, splice on the connector to the wiring you ran and then connect the connectors from the high beam to the shutter in the housing. When you select the high beams this will also energize the solenoid in the housing to drop down giving you full use of the projector for high beams.

10 Series/Monogram/Release Series:You can't do what the base series can do since we have constant power and this would cause problems with the high beams being on all the time even when our low beams are on. Instead of tapping the high power signal you can tap the shutter feeds to the headlight housings so that when the high beam shutter is dropped out of the way for the headlights it happens down on the fogs at the same time.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-10-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Editing those in the TL:DR club with what I've learned so far.
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
NahumCC

Garage
The OEM fog light circuit can support running the all in one kit per FT86SpeedFactory's notes on the product page if you're just going to run as a low beam.

If your going to include high beam then just tap into the headlight power suppoly on the 10series/monogram/release series treating it like a "Tail as Turn" kit and have extra spliced in wires from pins 5-8 running down to the ballast that would support the lower bi-xenon fogs during high beam ops with the FT86SpeedFactory harness after a slight modification as discussed in post 1.

So where can I get the two sets of the 8 pin connectors, pins, and rubber seals from to build such a harness?

Here is where I got my connectors as you'll see later in the thread: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diese...311630106.html. There are minor visual differences but they don't stop them from connecting (mind you my test fit has been done without any pins installed yet, I'll update after I wire them up in the next couple of days and test fit again and optest).

Things I need

1. OLM Projector housings with all in one HID kit

2. If you want to skip the harness on a 10 series buy the H11 connector to splice with red and black wire being run down from headlights and run with additional wiring to reach all in one ballast.

3. Connect the yellow and blue wire to the actuator to switch between lo and hi beam.
4. Two sets of Male and Female 8 pin connectors and pins. (Only if you want to avoid modifying the factory harness)

Going this route (which would only work on the 10 series/monogram/release series) would mean not needing to install the factory OEM fog light wiring and switch panel since it would be tied directly to the headlights. I could also choose to forgo the hi beam function and would still have low beam fogs since the power to the ballast would be constant.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-10-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
NahumCC

Garage
Dealerships seemed useless in trying to get info on the connectors.

So I tried to find these online and this is the closest I could find looking like a match. See link above in post 2.

For comparison

Slight difference in the two but I should be able to work around that.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-10-2016 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Keep forgetting this forum doesn't like links to google gallerey.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
NahumCC

Garage
Got my Fogs (both kits) delivered today. I'll get photos for you all another time but here is the quick run down comparing the two (OEM vs. the Bi-xenon housings).

1. The OEM are much larger in diameter than the bi-xenon housing.
2. The horse shoe collar that goes around the OEM fogs to allow them to snap in isn't going to be required with the adapater for the bi-xenons (It won't fit).
3. Not happy to see the connector housings for the shutter mechanism aren't marked for positive or ground to know what side needs to be tapped for what. Hoping it won't matter and it'll just work.

That's it for now. I'm going to get the OEM kit installed first and then move onto changing over to the bi-xenons.

Last edited by NahumCC; 03-10-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
NahumCC

Garage
Pictures as promised.

OEM housing next to OLM.

When installing these the triangle on the back OLM housings goes on top.

Everything went smooth and this will make the switch to the HID bulbs I have a much easier when I'm ready.

Food for thought....It would be nice if the OLM kit came with 4 of the 11 mm bolts and nylon lock nuts come with the factory. The OEM kit comes with one per side but another on the bottom outside would help reduce flex while adjusting.

When trying to get to the OEM connector to add the fog light positive feed even though the instructions don't tell you to remove the factory front turn light (2 10mm bolts) and disconnect it from the wiring harness. It'll be much easier to work with it from there since the factory doesn't provide much wiggle room with there harness.

Also, when you go to remove the harness from its bracket mount. Once you feel the barbs you'll think you've found what you need to squeeze. Turn your hand 90 degrees and then squeeze. If you've never done this, this is the step that could lead you to frustration and breaking something by accident.

Halogens in the projectors for now.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Slight difference in the two but I should be able to work around that.
Looks like a good conversion. I'm very interested to see if those 8 pin connectors work and how much the factory is going to charge!
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I just went with the OLM direct fit LED fogs... bi xenon = meh. Especially when it requires what you are apparently going through.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I just went with the OLM direct fit LED fogs... bi xenon = meh. Especially when it requires what you are apparently going through.
It's a little more complicated since I have a 10 series and the harness isn't set up for that. The project is on hold till the connectors come in and I can test fit them.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
Looks like a good conversion. I'm very interested to see if those 8 pin connectors work and how much the factory is going to charge!

It was 25 bucks for the lot of 5 sets of connectors with pins. I'll have enough to do one more car after I'm done if they work out.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
It was 25 bucks for the lot of 5 sets of connectors with pins. I'll have enough to do one more car after I'm done if they work out.
Keep me in mind once the connectors are in. I travel to Ohio now and then so we may coordinate to meet up and I'll pick up the connectors you don't use!
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a little more complicated since I have a 10 series and the harness isn't set up for that. The project is on hold till the connectors come in and I can test fit them.
If you are already wiring in bi xenons... led direct fits would be the same amount of work. Probably less since you are adding hids later on.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
NahumCC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
If you are already wiring in bi xenons... led direct fits would be the same amount of work. Probably less since you are adding hids later on.

Nothing really to complicated about it. I just put in the xenon bulbs tonight running on the OEM fog light wiring. I utilized the all in one kit that FT86 Speed Factory has so it plugs straight into the fog light plug.

This is giving me low beam for now just as you would expect for normal fog light operation.

It'll only get a bit complicated when I go to add the wiring harness from FT86 Speed Factory to add the high beam function. I'll basically be cutting off the headlight connector on FT86's harness and just splice them in on the same signal line I run to the shutter down on the projectors. I'm just waiting on my connectors I ordered on Alibaba so that I don't have to touch the OEM harness unless I absolutely have to.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 AM   #13
NahumCC

Garage
Also photos from the change over and some thoughts. With regard to the bulbs, I wish they had as much of a solid click and lock in place feel as the halogen H11's had. I'll admit I'm a little worried that the OLM's might rotate and come unlocked considering the all in one igniter housings hanging on the back of the bulb are a bit heavy.

That's the only major gripe.

Comparison of halogen on passenger side and xenon on driver side.

Xenon's in both side and starting adjustment.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #14
lite

Drives: FR-S RS1.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello, since the diameter is so much smaller do they look OK or is there quite a bit of space between the housing and the cover? A pic would be great if you could.

Thank you!
lite is offline   Reply With Quote