follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #197
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexyeve View Post
Good guide ! Just switched my alternator , water pump and crank pulley and I love the way the car feels now.
Yea I cant wait to to all. Going to do them all at once instead of just the crank pulley.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #198
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pretty cool that the Perrin website now links to this DYI install guide.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #199
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Okay majority of you guys not pulling off that bolt is starting to worry me. My kartboy pulley is coming this thursday, I guess we'll see..
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #200
Pooverdam

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Okay majority of you guys not pulling off that bolt is starting to worry me. My kartboy pulley is coming this thursday, I guess we'll see..
Don't worry. It's a super easy install. Just hold that inner bearing thing in while you wiggle the stock pulley off
Pooverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #201
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooverdam View Post
Don't worry. It's a super easy install. Just hold that inner bearing thing in while you wiggle the stock pulley off
Yeah I'm more worried about that than the bolt tbh lol. Going to use the method that someone mentioned to stick socket extension into where bolt is to hold it.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #202
Pooverdam

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I'm more worried about that than the bolt tbh lol. Going to use the method that someone mentioned to stick socket extension into where bolt is to hold it.
I think you may find it easier to use your finger.
Good luck though!
Pooverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pooverdam For This Useful Post:
Wes (12-01-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #203
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Garage
I had no issues just don't yank the stock pulley off after breaking the bolt loose.

Take your time, wiggle the pulley, and use your finger or a screwdriver to make sure the inner bearing stays seated.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #204
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I had no issues just don't yank the stock pulley off after breaking the bolt loose.

Take your time, wiggle the pulley, and use your finger or a screwdriver to make sure the inner bearing stays seated.
Thanks I will make sure that inner part don't come off.

Should I be worried about the bolt breaking? Especially if the engine is pretty hot after being driven
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #205
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Garage
Quote:
Thanks I will make sure that inner part don't come off.

Should I be worried about the bolt breaking? Especially if the engine is pretty hot after being driven
I dont think it will be possible for you to break it. Maybe let the engine cool down before you start.

The damn bolt was so hard to get loose the breaker bar was bending and a huge "plung" happened throwing me to the ground. Bolt was just fine though. I even reused it and its been fine ever since.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #206
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I dont think it will be possible for you to break it. Maybe let the engine cool down before you start.

The damn bolt was so hard to get loose the breaker bar was bending and a huge "plung" happened throwing me to the ground. Bolt was just fine though. I even reused it and its been fine ever since.
Okay thanks, that's good to know it won't break. Hopefully it'll go smooth haha.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #207
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Like someone else suggested, I just stuck my finger in the hole and wiggled the pulley off. I read this thread and I was a little nervous about doing the swap myself. After doing it the other night, I can honestly say that it's MUCH easier than I anticipated.

Last edited by protpibe; 12-03-2013 at 07:04 PM.
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to protpibe For This Useful Post:
Wes (12-03-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #208
Wes

Alright, installed my pulley, and holy shit that bolt was a lot harder than I had thought, my breader bar was bending lol. I was more scared of that breaking more than anything. Had to use leverage from strut tower bar and just pull from side of the car to break it loose. And damn that oem pulley was heavy af compared to new one.

Anyway kartboy pulley is in and I do hear that whine that everyone is talking about because of its design, pretty cool sound! supercharger minus the power haha. My throttle feels better, however the difference really comes from off- on acceleration, it pulls harder. very happy about this mod overall!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
Pooverdam (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #209
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
I still don't get it. How does it "pull harder" with the lighter pulley?

The lighter pulley does not add anything to the power output of the vehicle, and the only time anyone should notice any difference is at the point of dropping the clutch.

With the heavier pulley, the engine will rev a bit slower, but it will provide more torque (only at the point of engaging the clutch). The heavier pulley will also smooth out the power output of the engine.

A lighter pulley will do nothing for adding power to the engine. The engine will rev maybe a bit quicker with no load on the engine, but I do not understand how this modification will do anything once the clutch is fully locked up and the vehicle is moving.

I would seriously like someone to respond, as I am a bit confused.
I know it doesn't add power, but by "pulling harder" I meant it was able to go through the rpms faster, and less lag from the heavier oem pulley. By being more rev happy, you're able to go through the power band faster, therefore it pulls better, again not saying it added hp. And supposedly the removal of weight off the crank shaft is like shaving 100lbs on the car according to Perrin's blog.

Just hit up a local meet, maybe someone there has one and see if they'd let you drive it. I drove my friends FRS with one and there was a difference.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #210
Wes

@Monogram I don't see why it would add horsepower or torque, just makes your car more rev happy, which is what I wanted. So for my intended purpose, it serves me well. Well hopefully someone can help you out.. but on a rotational topic, why do people get lighter wheels? It won't add horsepower.

BS or not, no one is forcing you to get this. As I said, try driving another fr-s/brz with a pulley and see if there is a difference then make your judegement.

There are other threads discussing this probably, maybe you can look there since this is just a DIY thread.

Tags
brz, crank pulley, diy, frs, perrin, raceseng