follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Sir_Driftalot

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question TRD Drop in air filter orientation for MY17 MT

Hey all,
I've got an embarrassingly stupid question regarding the correct installation of something as simple as a drop in air filter. I'm a total noob when it comes to DIY car work, so I'm going to make an idiot out of myself.

I've purchased a TRD Drop in air filter for my Manual Transmission 2017 Toyota 86 from my local Toyota Dealer (PTR03-1C161), and I am completely baffled as to which vertical orientation is correct when inserting the part into the air intake box.

The source of my confusion is that with this part, all four edges are indistinguishable from one another. Meaning that all four edges are round, compared to other air filters where one edge is flat, indicating that it should go on the bottom of the intake box. There is etching of the part number among other things on one side of the filter, but this does little to resolve my ambiguities.

Both orientations fit into the intake box, and cause no faults with the vehicle.
Would appreciate if someone could help me figure out which vertical orientation is correct for this part, assuming that only one vertical orientation is correct.

Thanks
Sir_Driftalot is offline   Reply With Quote