follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #1331
Philly758

Drives: GMC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've looked around and can't find a real difinitive answer, what kind of gains are people seeing with a header? I'm considering a Rev Works and wondering if its worth the time, cost and noise.

I currently have a stock header, 2.5 perrin overpipe, 2.75 catless front pipe, and perrin 2.5 resonated catback. I'd likely have to replace the front pipe with a catted one to mitigate some sound and smell. I (read: my neighbors) probably wouldn't be happy if it was over the top loud, since i leave for work before 6am.
Philly758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #1332
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Heyyy @Brian@Vortech,

I'm heavily considering purchasing a kit in the next two weeks, and I just have some questions. Sorry if it's been covered already, but other than increased durability for extended operation, what (if any) are some other benefits to the V-2 blower vs. the V-3? My car is primarily street driven so it should only see short bursts of power here and there, but I am looking to get the highest peak numbers on 93 octane with water/meth injection (if necessary) and a ~3" pulley. I hope to take the car to a couple lapping days and maybe a hillclimb, where I can actually use the power. For all intents and purposes, can the V-3 produce the same power as the V-2 or no?

Second/third, where does the oil feed for the s/c source from? I read that the return was at the valve cover but not where the feed was. Is it OK to run 0W20 OE spec synthetic or should I be looking at something heavier? Thanks!
The H/D V-2 Oil Fed setup is only necessary for those people who intend to be pushing the standard V-3 beyond its limits, whether that be for HP/Boost output or competition level track duty. Don't get me wrong, you can put the H/D V-2 unit on a bone stock car and make the same power if you want to...you'll just be spending more money for no reason. People started asking about spinning their V-3's beyond the 50,000 impeller speed limit right around the same time some dedicated track cars/race teams were asking us for something that would fit their needs - we made something that will work for both. Heavy duty internals and higher revving capability together in one. Think of it as the next step beyond the V-3 H67B...you really don't need it until you do.

The guys that are pushing 370, 380, 390+ whp are good candidates for the H/D upgrade, as well as the cars that are purpose-built competition track cars that will be seeing multiple repeated 20+ minute hardcore sessions on the track. Most street cars and casual track days (even spirited ones) are just fine with the V-3.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
charged86 (08-04-2014), SirBrass (05-08-2014), Turbowned (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #1333
marcoaferrer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
@Brian@Vortech the vortech website doesnt display the flow specs for the H67B impeller. Any way you can dig them up for us? Also I noticed that the mustang and 370z guys with SC and SCI impellers have impeller upgrade options were as we dont really have any options. Only an oil fed blower transmission and thats it.

Reason Im asking is because even though you can technically spin the v2 blower faster for more boost that speed increase = more heat and less efficiency.

Is vortech planning any possible impeller upgrade options for us?
marcoaferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #1334
jack43

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Questions and Discussion on Vortech Supercharging Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly758 View Post
I've looked around and can't find a real difinitive answer, what kind of gains are people seeing with a header? I'm considering a Rev Works and wondering if its worth the time, cost and noise.

I currently have a stock header, 2.5 perrin overpipe, 2.75 catless front pipe, and perrin 2.5 resonated catback. I'd likely have to replace the front pipe with a catted one to mitigate some sound and smell. I (read: my neighbors) probably wouldn't be happy if it was over the top loud, since i leave for work before 6am.

I am a believer in the little/no difference in power going with a header on a SC. For data supporting there is the bob@driftoffice thread. Seemed to me the differences were "in the noise" of a percent or 2 either way.

I had a JDL uel which was very nicely made, but i took it off because of all the noise. My 382whp dyno was on the stock header.. and it never felt like less power after I had gone back to stock.

But for the sake of science, we found out that Toni was using the same tunes for his SC customers for headers or not. He just disabled the CEL for going without the cat.

Last edited by jack43; 05-07-2014 at 07:43 PM.
jack43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #1335
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoaferrer View Post
@Brian@Vortech the vortech website doesnt display the flow specs for the H67B impeller. Any way you can dig them up for us? Also I noticed that the mustang and 370z guys with SC and SCI impellers have impeller upgrade options were as we dont really have any options. Only an oil fed blower transmission and thats it.

Reason Im asking is because even though you can technically spin the v2 blower faster for more boost that speed increase = more heat and less efficiency.

Is vortech planning any possible impeller upgrade options for us?

It's possible for the future, but since no one has even come remotely close to maxing out the H/D V-2 unit, there is still some room to grow yet before we get there.

In the meantime, I wouldn't say you have no options...absolutely any V-1, V-2, V-3, or V-7 blower will drop right into the same bracket you've already got. Choose your weapon.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
jack43 (05-07-2014), Turbowned (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #1336
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Brian. That is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #1337
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
@Brian@Vortech whats the difference between the V-3 & the V-7 blower? (besides the oil flow)
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #1338
marcoaferrer

This page says it all.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...=SUPERCHARGERS

It has info on the V3's but not the V3-H67B only the V3-SCI/SI (same charger transmission but different volute and impeller.)

EDIT: Dont think about runnning the V7 without a fully built block. Its rated to 1200hp and outputs up to 30psi at 1600cfm
The Following User Says Thank You to marcoaferrer For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #1339
marcoaferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
It's possible for the future, but since no one has even come remotely close to maxing out the H/D V-2 unit, there is still some room to grow yet before we get there.

In the meantime, I wouldn't say you have no options...absolutely any V-1, V-2, V-3, or V-7 blower will drop right into the same bracket you've already got. Choose your weapon.
@Brian@Vortech

I still feel like we dont have very many options since in order to run another blower the housing needs to be notched (At least this is what I was told by the vortech tech over the phone.) Plus the cost of a new impeller is 1/4 the price of a new blower and probably still less than the price of upgrading to the v2 hd unit. Which not many people know the price of that upgrade. Not to mention the extra headache added with an oil fed unit.

I went with the vortech system because I liked the simplicity of having a self lubricated blower. Upgrading to the v2 is a step backwards for me when the same increase in flow and blower output could be achieved with a simple change of the impeller :/ and cost a WHOLE lot less. Not to mention the v2 setup is going to heat the charge air more due to the increase in impeller speed.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #1340
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

so it'll bolt up but you'll need a different air box and outlet pipe?
370hp on E-85
Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #1341
marcoaferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
so it'll bolt up but you'll need a different air box and outlet pipe?
Not sure about air box or outlet pipe but I was told on the phone that you will deff need to notch either something on the blower or the moutning bracket to make it fit. (cant remember if he said blower assembly or mounting bracket)

Where the notch needs to go exactly and how big of a notch were talking I dont have the slightest idea. They didnt give me anymore specifics than that.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #1342
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoaferrer View Post
Not sure about air box or outlet pipe but I was told on the phone that you will deff need to notch either something on the blower or the moutning bracket to make it fit. (cant remember if he said blower assembly or mounting bracket)

Where the notch needs to go exactly and how big of a notch were talking I dont have the slightest idea. They didnt give me anymore specifics than that.
I dont mind notching but I would like to know the specifics of what needs to happen to switch from the V-3 to the V7. Is it as simple as swapping those 2 out, notching the bracket, and hooking up the oil lines or is there more to it (minus a tune and motor mods)?
370hp on E-85
Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #1343
marcoaferrer

well the discharge diameter for the blower is .25in bigger (pipe connection) and the inlet is .5in bigger (airbox connection) so you would probably need either a custom intake and modified charge pipe or reducer coupling.

The way I see it is if you really going to be running the v7 you might as well get custom charge pipes and a new intercooler cause if not your just going to be blowing air into a bottle neck. I dont think the stock vortech intercooler is going to handle the amount of air the v7 is going to be moving. It supposedly only handles up 500hp
Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #1344
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

i guess the real question is......if 300ish isnt enough hp, is 500hp going to be?
370hp on E-85