follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #211
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
This is a flagship vehicle were they go all-in with techs. Rear axle steering, air suspension, biggest and baddass motor and battery pack, supercruise and everything. It is not meant for high volume.

From there, for sure it will spawn other EVs, they grabbed the attention, now it will be the time to make the money.

And now I understood why Honda will be buying GM EV platform, this seems to be very competitive to Tesla’s platform. 10 minutes for 100 miles (in very special condition) is great.
I don't know if it is competitive, but it is good. In theory, the larger capacity the battery, the faster the battery could add 100 miles (if weight was constant). This is the same for discharge rate, and it is why Teslas have improved performance with larger batteries. This is because the discharge rate can only be so fast or the battery will overheat, so if you want more current then adding more cells to the system will add more current without discharging any one cell faster. Similarly, the more cells the car has then the faster the car can add more miles because it can distribute the charge over multiple units. With that said, I don't know if a HUMMER with a 100kW battery could charge just as fast as a Model S/X 100, but maybe it could.

Currently the Tesla Cybertruck is a lot cheaper than the HUMMER, and some of it could be the features in the HUMMER, but I don't know if GM could match the price of the Tesla making the same car without a Gigafactory to produce batteries at volume to reduce the price per kWh. Moreover, the HUMMER may support fast charging, but it could be harder to find a fast charger in your area, so someone will need to consider that.
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #212
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Currently the Tesla Cybertruck is a lot cheaper than the HUMMER, and some of it could be the features in the HUMMER
The base Hummer is about the same price as the top range Cybertruck, and based on features, the Hummer is definitely a better deal. The Cybertruck is basically a battery powered Radio Flyer in terms of "luxury".

I think the Cybertruck would be more a direct competitor to a Silverado or F150 EV anyway, vs the Hummer which is more a luxury offroad capable status symbol vehicle.

I know where my money would go anyway.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #213
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
When you compare it to what most other EV's cost, $112K is not too bad. I was expecting for it to be far more expensive than that.
Actually it isn't that bad, especially for a 200kW battery and three motors.

The original HUMMER H1 was essentially a civilian version of the Humvee. It was bad ass and expensive--often costing over $100k in the early 2000's. The H2 and H3 that followed were dramatically cheaper and basically large/mid-sized truck/SUVs, which were branded as luxury, but were essentially just larger and had more features, but aren't trying to be a Mercedes G-Wagon in luxury. The H3 wasn't even large or expensive at $33k starting in 2010.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car...hummer_h2_2003

H1 Interior

H2 Interior

H3 Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The base Hummer is about the same price as the top range Cybertruck, and based on features, the Hummer is definitely a better deal. The Cybertruck is basically a battery powered Radio Flyer in terms of "luxury".

I think the Cybertruck would be more a direct competitor to a Silverado or F150 EV anyway, vs the Hummer which is more a luxury offroad capable status symbol vehicle.

I know where my money would go anyway.
I know GM refers to the interior as a luxury interior, or rather, that the interior is designed with luxury in mind, but I am suspicious that build quality and materials will meet the standard. I consider the HUMMER brand a premium brand, not because of a history of luxury, but because its size and features put it more up market like a fully loaded 250/2500 or 350/3500 is up market, but hasn't jumped class. A Peterbilt semi is expensive too, and it comes with a lot of features, but is it luxury? No, and it isn't even premium compared to the competitors; it is standard. Similarly, we will have to see how this vehicle compares, but I see the price as more of a reflection of the cost of the batteries first, size of the vehicle second and features/amenities third. It is about as much of a status symbol as a Pepsi truck:

In terms of features, we don't fully know what the Cybertruck will have, so I am hesitant to compare, but there is a significant difference in price, so you have to ask yourself what are you getting for $80k with the HUMMER that you aren't getting on the $40k Cybertruck to justify twice the price? The top Cybertruck says 500+ miles of range for $70k, and it says 350+ miles of range on the top HUMMER for $113k, so again, $43k difference in price with potentially far less range with features people may or may not use any more than bragging rights.
Attached Images

Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #214
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Wow didnt know it was going to be a GMC subbrand.

But jebus the thing starts off at 80 grand and the top level model is 112 grand.....
Quote:
I don't know if it is competitive, but it is good. In theory, the larger capacity the battery, the faster the battery could add 100 miles (if weight was constant). This is the same for discharge rate, and it is why Teslas have improved performance with larger batteries. This is because the discharge rate can only be so fast or the battery will overheat, so if you want more current then adding more cells to the system will add more current without discharging any one cell faster. Similarly, the more cells the car has then the faster the car can add more miles because it can distribute the charge over multiple units. With that said, I don't know if a HUMMER with a 100kW battery could charge just as fast as a Model S/X 100, but maybe it could.

Currently the Tesla Cybertruck is a lot cheaper than the HUMMER, and some of it could be the features in the HUMMER, but I don't know if GM could match the price of the Tesla making the same car without a Gigafactory to produce batteries at volume to reduce the price per kWh. Moreover, the HUMMER may support fast charging, but it could be harder to find a fast charger in your area, so someone will need to consider that.
Tesla battery is still the benchmark. GM will have to come with different packages (Sliverado/Sierra EV) to bring a real contender to Tesla when talking about volume.
The good side is that this seems to be a trend, and Ford will join soon.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #215
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Must be very tempting for manufacturers to introduce evs to the market. Engine plants are expensive as hell. They're here to stay, like it or not.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #216
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
In terms of features, we don't fully know what the Cybertruck will have, so I am hesitant to compare, but there is a significant difference in price, so you have to ask yourself what are you getting for $80k with the HUMMER that you aren't getting on the $40k Cybertruck to justify twice the price?
I wouldn't look at it that way, I'd look at as what am I getting with the $70K Cybertruck I'm not getting with the $80K (and you know you'll be able to get it for less than list from GM) Hummer.

I'm biased though because I wouldn't drive a Cybertruck if you gave it to me. I dislike the looks of it that much. It could be $10,000 and I'd still rather have the Hummer or the Rivian. The way what I drive looks matters to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-21-2020), soundman98 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #217
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,335 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't look at it that way, I'd look at as what am I getting with the $70K Cybertruck I'm not getting with the $80K (and you know you'll be able to get it for less than list from GM) Hummer.

I'm biased though because I wouldn't drive a Cybertruck if you gave it to me. I dislike the looks of it that much. It could be $10,000 and I'd still rather have the Hummer or the Rivian. The way what I drive looks matters to me.
You don't really see it from the inside That is the way I always look at it.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #218
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You don't really see it from the inside That is the way I always look at it.
The inside is part of the problem. It isn't that it's not functional, it has zero functionality or character.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 10-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #219
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Tesla battery is still the benchmark. GM will have to come with different packages (Sliverado/Sierra EV) to bring a real contender to Tesla when talking about volume.
The good side is that this seems to be a trend, and Ford will join soon.
I think it will be some time before anyone will match the price of a Tesla. Spec a Nissan Leaf Plus as close to a Model 3, and the Model 3 is going to be cheaper, while still out performing the Nissan.

The only reason the HUMMER can sell their vehicle at such a premium over the Tesla is because the HUMMER brand typically sells more (based on size and standard features) and because there isn't any competition except the Cybertruck. We will see if they adjust the price or if it sells at that price. While the HUMMER isn't a conventional SUV/truck, it is by far more conventional than the Cybertruck, so that could give it market edge or justify the price to potential buyers, yet they are both extremely large and unique enough that perhaps both would have a similar demographic.

The biggest advantage Ford has over Tesla and GM is the tax credit.

Cybertruck dimensions: 231.7''L x 79.8''W x 75''H and 149.9'' wheelbase
HUMMER EV dimensions: 216.8''L x 86.7''W x 81.1''H and 135.6'' wheelbase
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #220
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I think it will be some time before anyone will match the price of a Tesla. Spec a Nissan Leaf Plus as close to a Model 3, and the Model 3 is going to be cheaper, while still out performing the Nissan.
What about the Bolt and the Model 3? Pretty sure the Bolt is less, but haven't done the configurations.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #221
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,335 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The inside is part of the problem. I do see that, it isn't that it's not functional, it has zero functionality or character.

Fair enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #222
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

For a $70k Cybertruck you seem to get:

--500+ miles of range
--AWD from 3 motors (1 front x 2 rear)
--0-60 in less than 3 seconds
--Top trim amenities might follow the Tesla Model 3/Y differences between RWD and AWD/Performance models shown below. I wouldn't expect much differences besides those and maybe wheels, brakes and other basics.

For a $80k HUMMER EV you seem to get:

--250+ miles of range
--AWD from 2 motors (1 front x 1 rear)
--0-60 is slower
--Trim is the base trim seen above.

The base HUMMER will have features the Cybertruck doesn't and vice versa. For instance, I doubt the HUMMER will feature body panels, or glass, as strong at the Cybertruck. The adaptive air suspension on the HUMMER isn't available on the base trim, but it is available on the Cybertruck on at minimum the top trim.

The question is what is someone paying an extra $10k for when buying a base HUMMER over a top trim Cypertruck when they are obviously getting a lot less of the important stuff?
Attached Images

Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #223
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
What about the Bolt and the Model 3? Pretty sure the Bolt is less, but haven't done the configurations.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...sla-model-3-46

The Model 3 is a more premium, faster and cheaper Bolt per this article. There are other benefits that come with owning a Tesla like OTA updates, better MMI, using the phone app to do all sorts of things, Supercharger network access, etc. I don't really think the Bolt is close.
Dadhawk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #224
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
The question is what is someone paying an extra $10k for when buying a base HUMMER over a top trim Cypertruck when they are obviously getting a lot less of the important stuff?
Thanks for listing it out.

In the end, "the important stuff" varies by individual. If I had to pick between the two, I'm taking the Hummer because:

* more Standard truck configuration
* removable roof panels (beach buggy, beach buggy)
* better dealer support (or at least more locations)
* better interior layout (again opinion)
* Don't need bullet-proof glass

but I'm ultimately not going to pick between the two or likely to buy either (at least not new), so my opinion is just that, my opinion.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 10-21-2020 at 04:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-21-2020)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers