follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #99
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bring on the convertible and don't make the car look "girly"

Oxymoron?....Forget about it.
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to civdaddy For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #100
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
^^^^ Exactly!
The Impreza needed something to change it to a performance vehicle as it was really just a normal sedan.
Adding a turbo and all the other parts that go along with that was a relatively cheap proposal as the volume of Imprezas sold supported the upgrade.
The volume of base FRS/BRZ sold and the relatively small market for a turbo upgrade (I know I will hear "but everybody wants it") does not make it economically feasible to upgrade at the factory.
For about the 100th time I will say that adding a turbo is not just a matter of slapping one on in the plant and calling it a day. Many, many other parts would have to be upgraded so the guys that say a turbo only costs about $5K can think again.
Toyota will not take a hit just to please a crowd that would be well under 1% of their customers!
Just off the top of my head it would probably need the below from factory.
  • Reinforced or Different 6 Speed Manual
  • Stronger clutch
  • Possible new aerodynamic and body parts (Hoodscoop for top mount or new spoiler)
  • Bigger Brakes
  • Wider Wheels
  • Better Stock Tyres
  • Larger Radiator
  • Intercooler
  • New Fuel Pump and Injectors
  • New Throttlebody and Injection system.
  • Potential further chassis bracing

Most of these parts would need to be at least repurposed from other platforms or at most designed from scratch which means $$$ R&D costs. For a car that is almost 4 years old I don't see that happening.

Toyota/Subaru aren't going to go the AVO route and just slap on a compressor and cooler and reflash the ECU. If they're going to make a turbo, they have to run exhaustive tests and research to confirm that it won't be unreliable and cost them millions in warranty claims or worse, become unsafe and cost them more in legal settlements. Remember the unintended acceleration fiasco? That cost Toyota billions.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (11-24-2014), Strife26 (11-20-2014), Tcoat (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #101
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Not being turbo was a big SELLING point in my book. If were turbo I probably wouldn't have purchased it.
I agree, I like the purity of the car as is. I just wanna have a fun car for once.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #102
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just want my 0-60 under 6 and I'm happy. I am assuming this can be done with common upgrades and maybe a couple big upgrades (flywheel+clutch upgrade). Anyone know since I mentioned it. Without hijacking this forum too badly
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #103
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I just want my 0-60 under 6 and I'm happy. I am assuming this can be done with common upgrades and maybe a couple big upgrades (flywheel+clutch upgrade). Anyone know since I mentioned it. Without hijacking this forum too badly
Loads of ways! Just peruse the tech threads for a while and you will get some ideas. Of course you will have to dig through all the bullshit to find the true nuggets but they are there.
Your prior statement "I'm barely a car guy so I don't fully understand it all" may hinder you a bit but anything that you find interesting can be cross checked elsewhere.
Just beware that even though some guys really sound like they know their stuff does not mean they actually do. Anybody remember Ubersuber (or any of his prior aliases) ?

OH, and don't worry about jacking this thread it has been spinning in the same circle for about 50 posts now anyway!
Strife26 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #104
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Loads of ways! Just peruse the tech threads for a while and you will get some ideas. Of course you will have to dig through all the bullshit to find the true nuggets but they are there.
Your prior statement "I'm barely a car guy so I don't fully understand it all" may hinder you a bit but anything that you find interesting can be cross checked elsewhere.
Just beware that even though some guys really sound like they know their stuff does not mean they actually do. Anybody remember Ubersuber (or any of his prior aliases) ?

OH, and don't worry about jacking this thread it has been spinning in the same circle for about 50 posts now anyway!
I know stuff...just not the crazy technical stuff. I like my disclaimer so hopefully people won't call me ignorant at all things ever just cause I was wrong in the internets. Also, learn lots scrolling through the forums and googling all things among other sources. Thanks man!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #105
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
^^^^ Exactly!
The Impreza needed something to change it to a performance vehicle as it was really just a normal sedan.
Adding a turbo and all the other parts that go along with that was a relatively cheap proposal as the volume of Imprezas sold supported the upgrade.
The volume of base FRS/BRZ sold and the relatively small market for a turbo upgrade (I know I will hear "but everybody wants it") does not make it economically feasible to upgrade at the factory.
For about the 100th time I will say that adding a turbo is not just a matter of slapping one on in the plant and calling it a day. Many, many other parts would have to be upgraded so the guys that say a turbo only costs about $5K can think again.
Toyota will not take a hit just to please a crowd that would be well under 1% of their customers!
I would venture to say;

The majority, if not all, of the super/turboed Twins on the road would not meet the requirements to be a prodution vehicle. They would not pass one or more of; emission regs, safety regs, reliability standards, driveability standards, serviceability standards etc.

It's easy to overlook minor issues on your car on mods you've done, tire rubbing, harsh ride, brake dust/noise, poor fit, rattles. But a production car can't have any of those issues. Imagine the blogs if a factory turboed engine fails at 20 or even 60k miles.

I'm hoping that TRD comes out with a F.I. solution for us. Yes, it will be expensive, but it should set the standard. Maybe the Cosworth setup???
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caspeed For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-20-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #106
FT86WI

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think what is always overlooked with this car is the daily fun factor. I owned an MR2 Turbo before the FR-S that had 275 WHP, and before that I had a MazdaSpeed 3. They obviously have a lot more power than the FR-S, but they weren't nearly as fun in daily driving, at least not safe/smart daily driving.

The simplicity of the car is what makes it fantastic. It is the reason why the Miata has been around for 25+ years. I've driven SRT-8's and Mustangs. They go extremely fast in straight lines, but the purity and the control that is offered with a lightweight sports car is more my style.

At the end of the day, I don't care if my car is considered slow by the masses, or if some 16 year old in a GTI can smoke me off a line. All I care about is how I FEEL when I drive this car, and I think that most people that spend any real time behind the wheel of this car would agree with me that it makes you FEEL pretty damn good.
FT86WI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FT86WI For This Useful Post:
Defuser (11-24-2014), FingR-S (11-24-2014), Mim (11-25-2014), Soulz (11-28-2014), Strife26 (11-24-2014)