follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 12-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #2605
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Just curious, does Canada only do an OBD2 readiness check? Here in California, they do both the OBD2, a sniffer and a visual check, so anything that looks non-stock, even if it is catted, gets flagged.
New2subaru is correct. They don’t require load testing for obd2 cars—just obd1. Obd2 just gets a visual and a readiness test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
If I recall, we used to just have sniffer, now it's OBD2 ready. But, i'm told new laws are coming into effect where the cars will have to get a full safety, which would include visuals and emissions test. I'm not certain on all of this.
Possibly but I don’t see the point.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #2606
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm not seeing any changes right now

https://www.ontario.ca/page/safety-s...cate#section-2

I was told that cars that were 8 years and older will have to start getting safty'd every few years. We'll see...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #2607
gahooligan

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLM View Post
Good thread.. I am currently on page 50.. slowly reading through the whole thing

Anyone knows if the kit would work on 2017 BRZ? (I am in Canada)

Thanks

Yes, it will with some modifications. Once you get upwards of page 170 or so you will find the posts from a guy that worked it out. I have a 17 BRZ and plan on ordering as soon as Counter Space opens back up for business.
gahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #2608
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Anyone know the part number for the water pump they are using in the kit? I have a more custom setup and using a Bosch pump but it's hard to find a place to fit it, the pump Edelbrock is using is a bit more compact.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #2609
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Well it's winter now, but I want to convert to E85 and build my maps before I put on the supercharger. So I have my starter maps for E85 built I have to wait for spring to get them calibrated and get a flex fuel kit. For now I have 2 custom maps 1 for Total Fuel and 1 for Timing. I think when I add the super charger I dial it in on 93 and than convert over to a Mix of E85. I think everyone says most of the gain is up to E50 or E60... What size injectors should I plan on?? 700 cc is what I was thinking...
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #2610
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shr133 View Post
Well it's winter now, but I want to convert to E85 and build my maps before I put on the supercharger. So I have my starter maps for E85 built I have to wait for spring to get them calibrated and get a flex fuel kit. For now I have 2 custom maps 1 for Total Fuel and 1 for Timing. I think when I add the super charger I dial it in on 93 and than convert over to a Mix of E85. I think everyone says most of the gain is up to E50 or E60... What size injectors should I plan on?? 700 cc is what I was thinking...
700 is tried and proven. Larger if you'll build the motor later and bump up boost.

Unless you hit MBT, you keep gaining more power with more ethanol.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
shr133 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #2611
jordanthebass
Judson

Drives: 15 FRS 6spd Edelbrock SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This kit was so simple, me and my buddy (two 18 year old buffoons), where able to install it perfectly the first time. The tuning part including in the tuning kit was a little confusing but after we loaded the carb tune we took her out, did some driving to set closed loop data, checked temperatures and if there where any leaks. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. The car pulls like a monster now.

However, I have a few questions for anyone that may have answers.

First, after the first start up my Battery has been acting up. We had to replace the oem battery because it got all corroded and greasy and autozone said it was a goner. So we got a new battery and now when I drive with the AC on (Even though I live in GA the temperatures can go from 60 to 28 in a day, one day the car will start and a week ago I was stuck at Kohls for an hour waiting for a jump) the car acts like it loses power. The power windows stop working, my whole dash becomes a christmas tree, with EVERY single light activating, the high beams flash, and I wet my pants all at the same time. Does anyone have even the slightest idea as to why my car is doing this? When I turn the AC off I cannot replicate that at all. Also when idling with AC on the car almost stalls every 5-10 seconds when the condenser turns on.

Second, I already have a high flow fuel pump sitting on my desk, but would the DW 700cc injectors be enough to get me to 300whp? (of course after we solve the above issue )
jordanthebass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jordanthebass For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #2612
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanthebass View Post
First, after the first start up my Battery has been acting up. We had to replace the oem battery because it got all corroded and greasy and autozone said it was a goner. So we got a new battery and now when I drive with the AC on (Even though I live in GA the temperatures can go from 60 to 28 in a day, one day the car will start and a week ago I was stuck at Kohls for an hour waiting for a jump) the car acts like it loses power. The power windows stop working, my whole dash becomes a christmas tree, with EVERY single light activating, the high beams flash, and I wet my pants all at the same time. Does anyone have even the slightest idea as to why my car is doing this? When I turn the AC off I cannot replicate that at all. Also when idling with AC on the car almost stalls every 5-10 seconds when the condenser turns on.

Second, I already have a high flow fuel pump sitting on my desk, but would the DW 700cc injectors be enough to get me to 300whp? (of course after we solve the above issue )
That could be a poor earth or something similar electrical. Wires around the compressor OK?

Are you going to be using E85? If so, then those will be enough. If not, then no need for injectors or pump.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #2613
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanthebass View Post
This kit was so simple, me and my buddy (two 18 year old buffoons), where able to install it perfectly the first time. The tuning part including in the tuning kit was a little confusing but after we loaded the carb tune we took her out, did some driving to set closed loop data, checked temperatures and if there where any leaks. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. The car pulls like a monster now.

However, I have a few questions for anyone that may have answers.

Soudns like you have a short somewhere.

You don't need a fuel pump unless you're going ethanol.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
devtec (02-06-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #2614
shr133

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
700 is tried and proven. Larger if you'll build the motor later and bump up boost.

Unless you hit MBT, you keep gaining more power with more ethanol.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I may go to the 3" pulley at the most to get some more torque with the auto. But Already starting to spin too much off the line N/A with 93oct so I think the 3.25 should be fine.
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #2615
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
A bit of a necro-reply, but this has happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years of owning the edelbrock (that I know of). Last night it did it when I was in the garage and the car was off and cold. The supercharger water pump turned on. I popped the hood and the coolant was indeed flowing. I let it go for about 5 mins to see if it'd turn off by itself, so when it didn't, I turned the car on and off (without starting it), and the pump stopped. My keyless entry fob was nowhere near the car when it happened - it was in another part of the house.

But it makes me wonder how often it happens when I'm not around. If it does, it obviously turns off by itself. Each time it's happened when I'm around I turn on the car and off to stop the pump.

Since I only drive short distances to work, I keep my battery fully charged by hooking it up to a charger every couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlide View Post
I've noticed that my kits water pump will turn on randomly when the car is not running.

I have heard it kick on a few times just walking through my garage when I haven't started the car in a day or two.

My room mate confirmed that he will hear it click on randomly in the middle of the night (he sleeps right next to the garage)

I've been told that it should only turn on when the ECU is powered - any ideas?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #2616
86fun

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
A bit of a necro-reply, but this has happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years of owning the edelbrock (that I know of). Last night it did it when I was in the garage and the car was off and cold. The supercharger water pump turned on. I popped the hood and the coolant was indeed flowing. I let it go for about 5 mins to see if it'd turn off by itself, so when it didn't, I turned the car on and off (without starting it), and the pump stopped. My keyless entry fob was nowhere near the car when it happened - it was in another part of the house.

But it makes me wonder how often it happens when I'm not around. If it does, it obviously turns off by itself. Each time it's happened when I'm around I turn on the car and off to stop the pump.

Since I only drive short distances to work, I keep my battery fully charged by hooking it up to a charger every couple of weeks.

Mine does this all the time. I also have keyless entry, and the fancy LED emblem crap. I have no idea why it happens but it killed my battery, now I have to leave it on a charger if I don't drive it within 2-3 days. Totally dumb, a major flaw.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
shiumai (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #2617
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Mine does this all the time.
How often does it do it? Does it turn off by itself?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #2618
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like the relay might be faulty. The water pump splices into the EVAP harness, so unless that is cycled when the car is off the water pump should not be turning on.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote