follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
sero901

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright so I promised I would update so here it is:
Since I started this thread I have been to 3 more garages. I have changed out my rims and tires. My aingment was 100%. Every garage told me to stop driving it because it is unsafe so this is getting pretty old by now. I've spent over $500 to try and get it solved and no one knows what's happening. I am going to get the car back to Toyota and hopefully this time they will figure it out. In case anyone else is experiencing this problem, I will again post if I get any closer to a diagnosis. It's bad enough that on a icy highway the car has been thrown sideways at 70km/h twice under only light acceleration.
sero901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If dealer can't diagnose the issue, try finding a shop specialized in suspension/alignment work for race cars.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sero901 View Post
Alright so I promised I would update so here it is:
Since I started this thread I have been to 3 more garages. I have changed out my rims and tires. My aingment was 100%. Every garage told me to stop driving it because it is unsafe so this is getting pretty old by now. I've spent over $500 to try and get it solved and no one knows what's happening. I am going to get the car back to Toyota and hopefully this time they will figure it out. In case anyone else is experiencing this problem, I will again post if I get any closer to a diagnosis. It's bad enough that on a icy highway the car has been thrown sideways at 70km/h twice under only light acceleration.
Here's something out of the box.

We know our cars have accelerometers and speed sensors at all 4 wheels, blah blah...

What if it's a malfunction of the VSC? Try doing the pedal dance to completely defeat all that stuff.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Idea

I had a truly bizarre thing very similar to this on my Integra TypeR a number of years ago, and it was stupefying to everyone. Nothing made sense. We looked at suspension components, tires, alignment, balance, etc. And it was SCARY at speeds over 40MPH.

FINALLY a service guy at Acura decided to test a theory that something was wrong with 1 wheel (tires had been changed - no fix). He swapped left and right drive wheels (even though they were directional, this was fine for the test).

When he did, the "pull" changed direction. Then he knew it was the wheel. Took it to a shop - they straightened it, and the car was a back to normal after that!

Turned out (if I remember correctly), that there was a side-to-side wobble in 1 wheel (it was bent) that looked "in balance" to the machines, but caused this strange pull.

You might try swapping left and right rear wheels (leave tires on them) just for a test.

Steve
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
sero901

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Okay thanks for the replies. I shall let them know a few things to try. The service manager said he found this forum and read this thread.I had the car roadsided to Drayton valley Toyota. They have been good so far. Toyota is offering $40 a day to cover a rental car and someone from corporate said they will have some team aid the dealer with the diagnostics if need be.
sero901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
BJPLondon

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did you ever identify the cause?
My 2013 BRZ has done the same thing since the day I got it.
I can change lanes to the left with the gas pedal. The steering wheel does not move and it feels like the problem is coming from the rear suspension.
Sub Svc says there is nothing wrong and is no help at all.
BJPLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #21
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have noticed the last month my car is pulling HARD to the left when i hit the throttle. When i release it it snaps back to the right and drives perfectly straight with hands off the wheel. Its getting to feel very unstable on the highway. You cant really feel it until 40-70mph or higher. There is 30k miles on the car now (2014 FRS). I took it into the dealer yesterday because my battery would no longer hold a charge and asked them to check it out. They took it for a 1km test drive (not sure how you could leave the dealer and replicate the issue and come back in 1km), then they put it on a ramp to check for bent parts which was pointless because i know the car has never been driven hard, drifted, raced hit anything or any other abuse. After all that they gave me a $70 bill and said the tire was a couple PSI low on one side and "it seems to drive straight". I have had other people drive the car and say it does not feel right. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. I was thinking it could be something in the LSD? Any ideas would be great before i go back to the to the dealer.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJPLondon View Post
Did you ever identify the cause?
My 2013 BRZ has done the same thing since the day I got it.
I can change lanes to the left with the gas pedal. The steering wheel does not move and it feels like the problem is coming from the rear suspension.
Sub Svc says there is nothing wrong and is no help at all.

WTF tested 1km? Did they at least have radio on and high beams on? Gotta put a little strain on battery to check it imo.

I had pull to left on my 2014 too. I mentioned it to my dealer and they also said one tire was low psi but i didnt get charged! I later swapped to TRD springs and its gone?

so, give the springs a look!~
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #22
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay thanks for the replies. I shall let them know a few things to try. The service manager said he found this forum and read this thread.I had the car roadsided to Drayton valley Toyota. They have been good so far. Toyota is offering $40 a day to cover a rental car and someone from corporate said they will have some team aid the dealer with the diagnostics if need be.

I'm curious as well what was the fix?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-14-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #23
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
may be your weight... just trolling haha
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #24
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosway6891 View Post
happened to me, turned out one of my rear tires were low on air. filled it up, was good to go!
Why didn't the sensor catch this. It would have to be so low its noticeable when you look at it
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #25
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I don't think the OP is responding.... this post is from Jan of 2015.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I don't think the OP is responding.... this post is from Jan of 2015.
Well their last post was in November so there is hope they may show up at some point.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
ScoobySubie14

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited
How are your motor mounts? i know it seems kinda funky but my motor mounts are worn and it feels as if the engine shifts upon acceleration and pulls in the direction that the motor shifts to. Just food for thought
ScoobySubie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #28
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
what happened!
covance is offline   Reply With Quote