follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2021, 02:29 AM   #4005
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 12,933 Times in 6,238 Posts
Mentioned: 904 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Just a tip: use Google instead of the search engine here. Type your key words followed by site:ft86club.com to limit search results to this site.

I run 5w30 because Subaru uses it in all forced induction applications. 0w20 is like water when hot and is for fuel economy. Oil cooler if you are maintaining spirited intensity or higher intensity for a long time. Even higher weight oil if the car was a more dedicated track car, especially turbocharged, like 40 or 60 weight. Is it necessary? That is the question.
I use 5W30 Motul 300V in my turbocharged brz. My turbo is oil cooled (not water cooled like most kits: jdl, ptuning etc.).

Cooling the oil is far more important than the weight you choose.

I don't ever see over 225F oil temp.

My car is at ~64k miles, still on the original engine, and is used mainly for track/canyon driving, and driving to/from venues/shops. I don't do much commuting in it at all; I have other cars for that. The car as many class/platform records, as well as championship wins.

Just one data point, but imo, a particularly strong one.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #4006
Irace86.2.0
Non Sequitur

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,840 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I use 5W30 Motul 300V in my turbocharged brz. My turbo is oil cooled (not water cooled like most kits: jdl, ptuning etc.).

Cooling the oil is far more important than the weight you choose.

I don't ever see over 225F oil temp.

My car is at ~64k miles, still on the original engine, and is used mainly for track/canyon driving, and driving to/from venues/shops. I don't do much commuting in it at all; I have other cars for that. The car as many class/platform records, as well as championship wins.

Just one data point, but imo, a particularly strong one.
Right. It is more anecdotal, but a good rule. There is an application for everything or everyone. Some might not have their cooling up to par; better safe than sorry. Some might desire some extra protection when ambient temperatures and humidities get higher than their setup can tolerate. Some may find that they will over-cool the car with an aggressive cooling setup for daily driving year round, so they may choose to add a heavier weighted oil when it is time to go to the track instead. If anyone is doing endurance racing over short sprints then they might choose more protection from a heavier weight oil; we see heavier weight oils in 24 Hour of Lemans, for instance. If someone has a higher mileage vehicle with loosening tolerances then they may want a heavier weight oil. Some may prefer to stay as light as possible, instead of taking a weight penalty by adding a larger radiator, external oil cooler, ducting, etc, even if the higher viscosity might reduce horsepower. 10w60 is used below. I'm not saying it is needed. I'm saying, there are applications for heavier weight oils.

https://racing.tgr-europe.com/wp-con...anual_EN-1.pdf

I'm happy with my 5w30 Signature Series oil from AMSOIL. Good enough. Cheap enough. American made.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #4007
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm in the process of buying a used Edelbrock kit.
Could you advise me on the things I need to check before purchasing and various parts (like gaskets) I should buy for a clean and proper install?
Thank you.
Plus, has anyone tuned their kit with OFT?
Thanksē
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #4008
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Another random question... is anyone running a lightweight battery with this kit? Does it hold up ok? My stock battery died, so was thinking of going with a Braille 14115 (11.5 lbs) to help counteract the weight I added with the supercharger...

I assume it takes a little more to crank the engine with the SC... and there is the water pump for the SC cooling system that runs after the car is turned off.... so is a smaller battery a bad idea? I was originally going to get a Duralast gold but then noticed it was 7.5 lbs heavier than stock. The only thing I don't like about the Edelbrock kit is the extra weight which I can definitely feel in corners. So reducing that as much as possible would be nice.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote