follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List
MisterSheep

Old 01-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #4397
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else planning on a new year's day drive tomorrow? I'm tentatively thinking about doing my usual: Grizzly Peak -> Pinehurst -> Redwood -> Palomares

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:31 AM   #4398
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
As 2016 draws to a close, we take a look back at all the great moments that we enjoyed throughout the year. It was a fun year of exciting drives, great camaraderie, and memorable experiences. Thanks to all of you who took part in the adventure with us, and we hope to see you again for more in 2017.

http://86drive.com/2016/12/31/a-look-back-at-2016/
Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #4399
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

First drive of 2017

Slept like crap last night, so I didn't end up hitting my normal ~8am start time for an early morning drive.

Decided to sleep in and I ended up getting on the road just before 2pm. Took the freeway through the Caldecott tunnel and entered Grizzly Peak. There were a fair number of sight seers and Prius drivers out, so it was easy going in this stretch. Got to check out some good views and get ready for some fun.

Dropped into Pinehurst directly after a Honda Civic, so I decided to wait for as long as possible at the first hairpin. Great way to let the slow drivers get ahead of you and take a moment to mentally prepare for the twisties. When I saw a black SUV coming down the hill I resumed driving.

I was rewarded with a mostly completely clear Pinehurst experience, free of slow traffic and cyclists. Always nice to have this technical section to yourself! I ended up getting stuck behind a few slow drivers on the last few turns, but I wasn't that upset because I knew I would soon be getting onto Redwood.

Redwood was a blast! I got to test out the limits of my new suspension and tires. I have to say, I am not loving these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires I just had installed. They're completely the opposite of the previous tire I had: Toyo T1 Sport. It's a 340 vs 240 treadwear tire and the sidewalls seem A LOT squishier and soft compared to the Toyos. I think I should've definitely went with a more aggressive 200 treadwear tire like a R1R or RE-71R.

Took a quick break at Castro Valley Peet's and got back on the freeway to get to the Eden Valley / Palomares Rd. exit. Even though it was late in the day, I lucked out because Palomares was clear of traffic and cyclists. Upon dropping in I saw a few chickens near the road, but this was the only wildlife I saw on this road until later.

Palomares felt great since it was later in the day and the road was fully "up to temp" - I went last week and at 9:30am the road was still fully frozen in some parts. Careful out there if you decide to roll out early or while still dark!

Also a quick note about the new bridge they just did: when traveling north to south, it's now an abrupt right hand turn that can sneak up on you if you have some momentum. Nothing about this turn feels natural or normal. It was enough of an abrupt turn to get my TCS light to flash.

Upon reaching the Sunol Super Stop, I was greeted with a mostly empty gas station. I leisurely pumped 7.3 gallons of 94 octane @ 4.99/gal and took another pit stop. (Side note, my ADV Multiplier is now up to .69 - looks like the 91 octane OFT OTS tune is far too aggressive for regular 91 pump gas in the bay area. Anyone want to help me remedy this?) There were a few random cars, an older white ~1995 Corvette and a few Harleys also fueling up. The Corvette owner was checking his oil and looked to be slightly concerned with his powerplant. Upon starting his car back up, he revved it once to redline. How awkward. Nobody is impressed, dude...

Headed back up Palomares and was quickly greeted by two deer meandering around the road in the twisty section. I slowed to a stop and watched one of them make an impressive almost vertical leap up the side of hill to get out of my way.

After that, I had enjoyed enough driving at that point and just took 880N back up to Alameda.

I am ashamed to admit this on a public car forum, but my coilovers set halfway between soft and hard with 6K front 7K rear springs literally give me a neck ache. Even then tiniest of bumps are ridiculously amplified and transmitted directly to my spine. That combined with the ridiculous tire noise of these Firestones means you get quickly fatigued trying to drive any reasonable distance.

Anyway, a pretty enjoyable drive, especially considering the late start time. Nice way to start 2017!
Attached Images

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (01-02-2017), TofuJoe (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #4400
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Also a quick note about the new bridge they just did: when traveling north to south, it's now an abrupt right hand turn that can sneak up on you if you have some momentum. Nothing about this turn feels natural or normal. It was enough of an abrupt turn to get my TCS light to flash.

I am ashamed to admit this on a public car forum, but my coilovers set halfway between soft and hard with 6K front 7K rear springs literally give me a neck ache. Even then tiniest of bumps are ridiculously amplified and transmitted directly to my spine. That combined with the ridiculous tire noise of these Firestones means you get quickly fatigued trying to drive any reasonable distance.

Agreed about that new bridge. There's a mid corner dip that unsettles the car if you're carrying too much speed. Careful out there, everyone.

I'm glad I stuck with 5k springs. I wouldn't want to go any stiffer, especially with our crap roads here. Even with 5k springs, coffee splashes everywhere when driving around. 😞

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaBRZ For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #4401
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Redwood was a blast! I got to test out the limits of my new suspension and tires. I have to say, I am not loving these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires I just had installed. They're completely the opposite of the previous tire I had: Toyo T1 Sport. It's a 340 vs 240 treadwear tire and the sidewalls seem A LOT squishier and soft compared to the Toyos. I think I should've definitely went with a more aggressive 200 treadwear tire like a R1R or RE-71R.

!
Which version of the Indy 500 did you get? The new one or the old Wide Ovals? And are the Firestones the same aize as your old Toyos? Curious cuz their new tread pattern looked pretty good and they have a great following in Europe (as the Bridgestone S003).

Also it may sound wierd but try turning the damping closer to stiff. Mine is actually more comfortable adjusted closer to full stiff and @PMok made a similar observation woth his set up too.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #4402
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
@Clipdat - ADV multiplier is up to .69? What was it before? Are you on stage 1? What bolt ons do you have?
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #4403
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I got the new ones, the "Indy 500", not the Wide Ovals. And yes, they are the same size as my previous tires - 245/40/17. Maybe they just aren't a good match to this high spring rate coilover setup. They feel slow to respond when making quick steering inputs, for example on initial turn in. They have a floaty and squishy quality to them, which is what I am guessing is sidewall flex. Maybe they just need to get 500-1000 miles on them before they start performing as they should?

Thanks for the tip regarding damper adjustment. I will try that out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Which version of the Indy 500 did you get? The new one or the old Wide Ovals? And are the Firestones the same aize as your old Toyos? Curious cuz their new tread pattern looked pretty good and they have a great following in Europe (as the Bridgestone S003).

Also it may sound wierd but try turning the damping closer to stiff. Mine is actually more comfortable adjusted closer to full stiff and @PMok made a similar observation woth his set up too.
Yes, OTS 91 octane tune. I randomly checked it one day and it was at .10. So I tried putting in a bottle of this stuff which raised it to .30. And yeah then yesterday after filling with over half of 94 octane, it went up to .69.

Regarding bolt on power mods, I only have a drop in air filter, silicone inlet tube, and catback exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
@Clipdat - ADV multiplier is up to .69? What was it before? Are you on stage 1? What bolt ons do you have?

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #4404
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
@Clipdat - Wow. 0.1 is a bit alarming. Have you considered getting an ECUTek tune that's dialed in for your car? You could sell your OFT for $400, and get a Delicious tune/license for $600-650. And your adv multiplier would be 1.0 all the time. I just went through this switchover and I'm glad I did. Talk to Neal at The Racers Line.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #4405
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
I got the new ones, the "Indy 500", not the Wide Ovals. And yes, they are the same size as my previous tires - 245/40/17. Maybe they just aren't a good match to this high spring rate coilover setup. They feel slow to respond when making quick steering inputs, for example on initial turn in. They have a floaty and squishy quality to them, which is what I am guessing is sidewall flex. Maybe they just need to get 500-1000 miles on them before they start performing as they should?

Thanks for the tip regarding damper adjustment. I will try that out this week.

Yes, OTS 91 octane tune. I randomly checked it one day and it was at .10. So I tried putting in a bottle of this stuff which raised it to .30. And yeah then yesterday after filling with over half of 94 octane, it went up to .69.

Regarding bolt on power mods, I only have a drop in air filter, silicone inlet tube, and catback exhaust.
I think sidewall stiffness is one of the biggest differences between UHP tires like the Indy500 or Conti DW and the Max Summers like PSS and S-04. When I went from the S-04 (280tw) to the Contis I hated how sloppy they felt from soft sidewalls and bad turn in.

Quote:
@Clipdat - Wow. 0.1 is a bit alarming. Have you considered getting an ECUTek tune that's dialed in for your car? You could sell your OFT for $400, and get a Delicious tune/license for $600-650. And your adv multiplier would be 1.0 all the time. I just went through this switchover and I'm glad I did. Talk to Neal at The Racers Line.
I would try flashing back to the stock tune and see if the problem persist s first. While ECUtek and Delicious tunes are great if it is a problem with the car it may not solve anything.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #4406
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That sounds different from my experience with the same tires but I was also coming from stock wheels/tires and am on a stock suspension which probably makes a big difference in perspective. I did have some similar feelings when going from RT615s to Conti DW on my Legacy GT. But that car was more suited to the nature of the DW so I didn't really mind. I'm also running 225/45 17 on a 7.5 inch wheel so that may influence things a bit.

I also don't have an issue with the tire noise.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driggity For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #4407
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

ECUTek is what I originally wanted, but ended up going with the OFT instead. I think both tuning platforms have their advantages & disadvantages.

Quote:
I think you pretty much nailed it. I feel stupid for not going for a more aggressive tire. Didn't do my homework on tire choice unfortunately and now I am stuck with them.

I will keep an eye on what the ADV Multiplier does this week while using this 94 octane and then if it drops off again with a regular tank I will try reflashing the same tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I think sidewall stiffness is one of the biggest differences between UHP tires like the Indy500 or Conti DW and the Max Summers like PSS and S-04. When I went from the S-04 (280tw) to the Contis I hated how sloppy they felt from soft sidewalls and bad turn in.

I would try flashing back to the stock tune and see if the problem persist s first. While ECUtek and Delicious tunes are great if it is a problem with the car it may not solve anything.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the tires! Must be the stock suspension and different size are working to your advantage. And in my case, the shortcomings of the tire are being amplified by the stiff suspension.

The RT615s to the Continentals must've been a big shift! I've always liked the tread pattern on those Falkens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
That sounds different from my experience with the same tires but I was also coming from stock wheels/tires and am on a stock suspension which probably makes a big difference in perspective. I did have some similar feelings when going from RT615s to Conti DW on my Legacy GT. But that car was more suited to the nature of the DW so I didn't really mind. I'm also running 225/45 17 on a 7.5 inch wheel so that may influence things a bit.

I also don't have an issue with the tire noise.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #4408
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The RT615s to the Continentals must've been a big shift! I've always liked the tread pattern on those Falkens.

Yeah, that was definitely a huge difference. With that car and living in Dallas at the time the DWs were a better setup for me. Just a little bit better driving roads here compared to there.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #4409
lamune

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Drove up Mt. Hamilton last week and blew up a cat on the way
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #4410
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamune View Post
Drove up Mt. Hamilton last week and blew up a cat on the way
Oh damn. Which cat? And stock or aftermarket cat?