follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Autocon
Senior Member
 
Autocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 251
Thanks: 63
Thanked 180 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Dented rear wheel side panel/rocker panel.

Update - Good news, it is possible to have your rocker panel fixed, and without drilling! Was able to get my car fixed up back to 95% of its original look

So I made the stupid mistake of letting my friend drive my car and of course he dented it when he pulled into an awkwardly angled turnout along a mountain road when we were out driving. I was so very close to pushing him off a cliff when I saw what had happened as my car is not even 6 months old

So I need to get it fixed but not sure the best coarse as I have never need to get a dent fixed.

I checked with a highly recommend PDR place and for the top dent, along the crease in the metal he said he could get it out 85% of the way, but will have to drill a whole in the back near my tire well to gain access too it. For like $325 :/ Dose this seem like something reasonable? I don't like the idea of drilling into my car but I have always wanted side skirts so I know that is an inevitability.

The rocker panel based on what he said and another thread I read will be impossible to fix :/ But I plan to get side skirts eventually and cover that up.

Here is a pic of the issues.

Thanks!
-Anthony

Name:  doorDing.jpg
Views: 3324
Size:  573.5 KB

Last edited by Autocon; 04-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Autocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Ec1990
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: '14 BRZ
Location: NV
Posts: 182
Thanks: 14
Thanked 53 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drilling a hole for PDR guys to get access is common, just ensure they input a rubber grommet so there is no water getting in, it's a difficult spot since it's on a crease. If their reputable PDR is absolutely the way to go, although $325 for one dent seems a bit high, I'd expect more in the $150 range depending on your area. Hope you make your friend pay for it.

Last edited by Ec1990; 02-15-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
vroom4
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: East
Posts: 820
Thanks: 18
Thanked 301 Times in 186 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome to the dented rocker club. Mine is much worse.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vroom4 For This Useful Post:
Jlin (03-20-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
Apex-Wolf
Member
 
Apex-Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Location: California
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe i'm just poorly informed but can't the wheel well be removed then put back on later so he doesn't have to drill through it?? I had a civic with no wheel wells in the front :P also I got two dents removed for $85 so shop around maybe ask the dealership which PDR guy they use. my dealership happens to have a good on that comes in but only on Fridays.

Last edited by Apex-Wolf; 03-21-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: forgot the "W" in two
Apex-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Autocon
Senior Member
 
Autocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 251
Thanks: 63
Thanked 180 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Good news, I was able to get my car fixed, even the rocker panel! All done using PDR and its like 95% back to normal. Extremely happy with the result. The first 2 places I took my car I was quoted in the 300 range and they wouldn't even look at the rocker panel as they said it was impossible.

Luckily I didnt go to any of those shity places and went to Beach City Paintless Dent Repair in Huntington Beach (I highly recommend them) Was given a much lower quote and Jeff was able to fix the rocker panel issue almost completely. No need for any drilling and the plastic around the wheel well comes off easy and there are holes to get tools in there. Seems the rocker panel is pretty soft compared to most car.

Super happy I was able to get my car fixed, that awful dent would have nagged at me for the rest of my time with the car ha So just a heads up to anyone that dose ding up the bottom of there car that it can be fixed!

edit: random question, what is that weird plastic like thing near the bottom of the door? Its been there since I got it but didnt feel easily removable so I left it. What is it for?

Name:  photo1 (3).jpg
Views: 2954
Size:  232.0 KB
Autocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Lemar58
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: SoCal
Posts: 87
Thanks: 38
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
Good news, I was able to get my car fixed, even the rocker panel! All done using PDR and its like 95% back to normal. Extremely happy with the result. The first 2 places I took my car I was quoted in the 300 range and they wouldn't even look at the rocker panel as they said it was impossible.

Luckily I didnt go to any of those shity places and went to Beach City Paintless Dent Repair in Huntington Beach (I highly recommend them) Was given a much lower quote and Jeff was able to fix the rocker panel issue almost completely. No need for any drilling and the plastic around the wheel well comes off easy and there are holes to get tools in there. Seems the rocker panel is pretty soft compared to most car.

Super happy I was able to get my car fixed, that awful dent would have nagged at me for the rest of my time with the car ha So just a heads up to anyone that dose ding up the bottom of there car that it can be fixed!

edit: random question, what is that weird plastic like thing near the bottom of the door? Its been there since I got it but didnt feel easily removable so I left it. What is it for?

Attachment 72776

Those are on both sides, I think they are there to prevent rocks and such to chip the paint.
Lemar58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
microbionic
Senior Member
 
microbionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 248
Thanks: 452
Thanked 146 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemar58 View Post
Those are on both sides, I think they are there to prevent rocks and such to chip the paint.
I wish they would have just covered the car in this material...
microbionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
USMC
Senior Member
 
USMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-s
Location: Fort Lauderdale ,Florida
Posts: 147
Thanks: 1
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice job. ( I just removed them. Looks better without them.)
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Terran
Senior Member
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 430
Thanks: 229
Thanked 242 Times in 121 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ahhhh I just got one similar to yours. Gonna look around to see if a PDR place can do the same for me. Thanks!!
__________________
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Drewfellas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '15 frs Halo. must scrape
Location: 626 to 323
Posts: 124
Thanks: 20
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn Everytime I read anything about damage to the 86 I get depressed. We love our cars but the auto makers f'd us over. So much for quality assurance and control. I'll be more depressed if this fiber glass rear spoiler lasts longer than the cars paint job -.-
__________________
Invidia q300-cusco front strut tower with mbc and rear strut tower- buddy club tail lights
Drewfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Koa
Sweeper
 
Koa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 2,291
Thanked 1,485 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfellas View Post
Damn Everytime I read anything about damage to the 86 I get depressed. We love our cars but the auto makers f'd us over. So much for quality assurance and control. I'll be more depressed if this fiber glass rear spoiler lasts longer than the cars paint job -.-
Hate to come off crass, but what are you talking about? Do you expect our cars to be made out of pure quarter inch plate?

How have Toyobaru screwed us over in this aspect? What quality assurance and control? It seems as if the rocker panels did what they were supposed to do. ALL new vehicles have paper thin unibodies and bonded instead of welded. It's the future and these steps were not done to shave off a few $$ so that their customers would have to go to body shops for more work. Everything isn't a conspiracy
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Drewfellas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '15 frs Halo. must scrape
Location: 626 to 323
Posts: 124
Thanks: 20
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Hate to come off crass, but what are you talking about? Do you expect our cars to be made out of pure quarter inch plate?

How have Toyobaru screwed us over in this aspect? What quality assurance and control? It seems as if the rocker panels did what they were supposed to do. ALL new vehicles have paper thin unibodies and bonded instead of welded. It's the future and these steps were not done to shave off a few $$ so that their customers would have to go to body shops for more work. Everything isn't a conspiracy
Only some, not all. If were are speaking vehcile-wise. then since you stated
"ALL new vehciles have paper thin unibodies and bonded instead of welded" please do explain why tanks (vehciles) have welded parts or unibody together? In the future preferences change and they can go either route. Claiming that all new cars are going this direction is like making a forecast that the company or car will do 100% better since you stated "ALL". FYI anything is possible this might or could go to welding, bonding or just both.
If you think auto makers or any company is not shaving cost off when in the end its amounts to Cost of Sales and Net Profit. Than please do explain reasons for recalls (Q & A), or discountinued makes. Please go back to the grass where you came from and hide under that rock which makes you think the automakers are your parents who look out for you.

In the end, its about cash flow and net profit.
__________________
Invidia q300-cusco front strut tower with mbc and rear strut tower- buddy club tail lights
Drewfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Mad1723
Senior Member
 
Mad1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 653
Thanks: 819
Thanked 418 Times in 222 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfellas View Post
Only some, not all. If were are speaking vehcile-wise. then since you stated
"ALL new vehciles have paper thin unibodies and bonded instead of welded" please do explain why tanks (vehciles) have welded parts or unibody together? In the future preferences change and they can go either route. Claiming that all new cars are going this direction is like making a forecast that the company or car will do 100% better since you stated "ALL". FYI anything is possible this might or could go to welding, bonding or just both.
If you think auto makers or any company is not shaving cost off when in the end its amounts to Cost of Sales and Net Profit. Than please do explain reasons for recalls (Q & A), or discountinued makes. Please go back to the grass where you came from and hide under that rock which makes you think the automakers are your parents who look out for you.

In the end, its about cash flow and net profit.
So the fact YOU hit the kerb with the car somehow makes the car maker responsible for the damage?

Yeah.... Ok.....
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Koa
Sweeper
 
Koa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 2,291
Thanked 1,485 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
So the fact YOU hit the kerb with the car somehow makes the car maker responsible for the damage?

Yeah.... Ok.....
this.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dented rocker panel daftpunk Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 49 08-15-2017 10:41 PM
Rear body panel kit subiestyle Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 3 02-17-2014 03:56 PM
Painted 86 emblems (side panel) eddieEndo Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 7 09-07-2013 05:39 PM
Rear Bumper Panel mackeye BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 4 12-01-2012 11:48 PM
Entire Drivers Side Electrical Panel completely dead Asphalt~86 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 13 11-14-2012 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.