follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #547
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
How is this different from any other product you buy every day? Just about every product has a MSRP, and nearly every one of them at some point are sold at a discount. The only difference is at car dealerships you have to negotiate that discount rather than it being a sale, and know the price going in.

For example,grocery store A has the prices are posted, and they have regular sales on products that are published and the same for everyone, Grocer B posts prices that match the regular price of Grocer A, but that doesn't really mean anything because when you get to the cash register you have to negotiate each item, or the overall purchase price of your purchase. Everyone in line with you has to do that, and no one pays the same thing for anything.

Which grocer are you going to go to? If Grocer B excites you, I guess you like car dealership pricing models. I'd rather go to a place where I know when they are having a sale, and when I'll have to pay regular price. It's one of the things that attracted me to Saturn, Scion and CarMax. It is also why I know which dealers in my area I'll deal with, and which ones I won't.
No I think we're on the same page, I'd rather eat bark and worms than shop at grocery store B. My point was that basically all car dealerships (save for the Saturns and Scions you mentioned, or at least they tried) are grocery store B. And that the weirdness of today somehow has them functioning a little more like grocery store A, aside from the really in demand stuff where they're taking some liberties (which then scares us again.)

I actually bought a Scion tC as my first new car back in 05. I remember my one buddy griefing me over being a sucker for the sales model and not negotiating down the price, when really I was just getting the right price without having to go around in circles with them. Was hard for him to compute when his dad bought a $30k MSRP Jeep for like $23k, just as it was so hard for me to compute paying more than $20k for that Jeep in the first place haha. That's also when I realized that some guys just enjoy the haggling aspect for some reason, and later decided it was at least partially a masculinity thing.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #548
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ordered mine (yes ordered) through the Toyota employee/vendor program. I have a VIN and my car status just switched from "waiting on the dock in Japan" to "on a ship in transit." I realize, given the current shipping/transportation climate, that it is difficult to estimate time right now, but does anyone have a good estimate as to when it might arrive at my dealership in Cincinnati based upon their own experience? TIA.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #549
Chan

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I ordered mine (yes ordered) through the Toyota employee/vendor program. I have a VIN and my car status just switched from "waiting on the dock in Japan" to "on a ship in transit." I realize, given the current shipping/transportation climate, that it is difficult to estimate time right now, but does anyone have a good estimate as to when it might arrive at my dealership in Cincinnati based upon their own experience? TIA.
Question. Is that through True Car’s employee perks program?
From my experience waiting for my car it has been on a train for about a month. As far as I know it’s still on a train. Others in my area are on a holding lot in Kansas City. I’m assuming that yours won’t be coming from KC. But the train trip and trucking seem to be the challenge. The coasters don’t really have to worry about that as much. With that said my guess is that it will be 2-3 months.
Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:55 PM   #550
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
From my experience waiting for my car it has been on a train for about a month. As far as I know it’s still on a train. Others in my area are on a holding lot in Kansas City. I’m assuming that yours won’t be coming from KC. But the train trip and trucking seem to be the challenge. The coasters don’t really have to worry about that as much. With that said my guess is that it will be 2-3 months.
One month on the train is completely broken. I looked into that a bit as I might end up dealing with the same pain eventually, and it could be that it sat a while waiting for a full train to build up before hitting the road. The actual trip should be relatively quick, and then it might be another lengthy wait to unload. Even considering the logistics problems of today, a month seems to be some pretty bad luck.

My WRX was 4 weeks at sea coming from Gunma. Came in at Baltimore and was trucked to Cleveland area after some port installed stuff, I think 2 weeks. I want to say 7 weeks from when it was done at the plant to me turning the key. That was a long time ago during normal non-apocalyptic times, of course.

Still no 86 allocation for me last week, so I'm looking at end of spring earliest if I luck out and get a mid-Feb allocation. I've started looking around a little more and the few I've found unreserved were asking $3k markup. Sigh.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Chan (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #551
subarubrzz

Drives: dont have one... yet
Are any dealerships in the Los Angeles area accepting orders at MSRP?
subarubrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #552
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
At this point I'm assuming most people that haven't received a 2022 yet are probably going to have to get 2023's?

In hindsight I should have put deposits down at multiple dealerships, my deposit from November at one dealership is not working out lol.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:45 AM   #553
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
At this point I'm assuming most people that haven't received a 2022 yet are probably going to have to get 2023's?

In hindsight I should have put deposits down at multiple dealerships, my deposit from November at one dealership is not working out lol.
I think it depends on where you are in line. If you're first or second with a deposit at a given dealer, or especially not super picky on color I think you'll most likely get a 22 by late summer (the end of the run.) Otherwise could push, seems like smaller dealers might only get a handful of cars this year.

Don't feel too bad about not putting down multiple deposits. It could help, but the way allocations work might not have mattered unless you put down deposits in multiple districts. And the districts are big, so would likely have to be hours apart. Then you run the risk of having trouble getting your deposits back. I feel like that should almost never be a problem but I encountered it one of the few times I did it.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #554
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
I don't know what True Car's employee perks program is. I went entirely through Toyota/Toyota's site/Toyota's personnel.

As for your car, that seems really, really long. Do you have your VIN number? Are you sure your salesman isn't just telling you that until he can get his hands on an allocation?
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #555
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I don't know what True Car's employee perks program is. I went entirely through Toyota/Toyota's site/Toyota's personnel.

As for your car, that seems really, really long. Do you have your VIN number? Are you sure your salesman isn't just telling you that until he can get his hands on an allocation?
Yes, I have my vin and checking on it daily. Still in Freight status with an ETA of 2/15 to 2/21. The ETA used to be in Jan. It has had to travel by train from Port of Vancouver all the way to Kansas City. When it gets to KC they are supposed to put it on a truck and send it up to Nebraska. Not sure if the train hit bad weather or what the scoop is.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #556
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
One month on the train is completely broken. I looked into that a bit as I might end up dealing with the same pain eventually, and it could be that it sat a while waiting for a full train to build up before hitting the road. The actual trip should be relatively quick, and then it might be another lengthy wait to unload. Even considering the logistics problems of today, a month seems to be some pretty bad luck.

My WRX was 4 weeks at sea coming from Gunma. Came in at Baltimore and was trucked to Cleveland area after some port installed stuff, I think 2 weeks. I want to say 7 weeks from when it was done at the plant to me turning the key. That was a long time ago during normal non-apocalyptic times, of course.

Still no 86 allocation for me last week, so I'm looking at end of spring earliest if I luck out and get a mid-Feb allocation. I've started looking around a little more and the few I've found unreserved were asking $3k markup. Sigh.
Just checked with my dealer today and it’s on a train in Minnesota. WTH? It’s like it’s been touring the whole US. They must have got the super saver rate
Old 02-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #557
rising datsun

Drives: Japanese
Quote:
Just checked with my dealer today and it’s on a train in Minnesota. WTH? It’s like it’s been touring the whole US. They must have got the super saver rate

Did you get Hit with the 30 day QC today?
rising datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #558
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising datsun View Post
Did you get Hit with the 30 day QC today?
Not sure what that means but I’m getting hit with pure frustration and a lot of WTHs
Old 02-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #559
Chan

I’m not sure this is for all regions but I’m following 6 incoming GR86s and as of today all of the ETAs in the api have been removed. I’m not sure if someone narked on us or what but now I’m really ticked. Checking that everyday at least gave me some feeling of control. ��
Old 02-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #560
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m not sure this is for all regions but I’m following 6 incoming GR86s and as of today all of the ETAs in the api have been removed. I’m not sure if someone narked on us or what but now I’m really ticked. Checking that everyday at least gave me some feeling of control. ��
My ETA got removed too, but it is not the first time that has happened. My car also changed to dealer category F yesterday, after being in A for 6 weeks, and had an ETA of 2/10 - 2/12. Today the ETA is empty, but still dealer category F.