follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issue with pump gas on turbo setup

So a weird issue I'm having right now is that my RPM's climb up when I coast in gear. This happens at any speed, in any gear, but I have to be moving/coasting. When I come to a complete stop my rpm's drop back to a normal idle. Likewise, if I am moving/coasting and I pop it into neutral, the car returns to a normal idle.

I grabbed a quick log of the issue this morning. What can be seen is me driving about 30mph up to a stop light. I push the clutch in with my left foot, lightly apply the brakes with my right foot, leaving the car in 3rd gear the entire time. As I'm coasting up to the light my rpm's climb to about 2-3k then drop, then begin to climb again.

Any advice for me? I've checked all my hoses and they look tight. I checked and made sure my bov has the correct spring. Not sure if its mechanical or tune related, i'm thinking it wouldnt be a bad idea to get it boost leak tested again tho. Thanks!

https://datazap.me/u/motox16/117-rpm...?log=0&data=30

I posted this up in the datalogs sticky back in November, never got anywhere with it but I've got some new info and would like yalls thoughts.

So this issue only cropped up after I switched from e85 to pump gas in the fall. This issue remained even after moving to a new, reputable, tuner. We've been doing some revisions over the last two months and today we moved over to e85. As soon as I filled my tank up with ethanol, my problem went away. (I'm running a motoeast flex fuel kit btw)

Any ideas why I would have this problem running pump gas? I'm stumped. TIA

Last edited by MotoX16; 01-09-2020 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Left out key details
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Has this setup ever worked correctly ie has the current tune and turbo setup ever not had this issue ?

What tune system are you using if its ecutek what racerom revision
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
MotoX16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Has this setup ever worked correctly ie has the current tune and turbo setup ever not had this issue ?

What tune system are you using if its ecutek what racerom revision
As far as I can tell this issue has been there the whole time. I ran e85 from the getgo but everytime I've used pump gas since the turbos been on I've had this issue.

I'm running ecutek, remote tuning it currently. We've really got the car dialed in except for this issue. Unsure on the racerom version, is there a way I can check? My proecu software is up to date
Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX16 View Post
As far as I can tell this issue has been there the whole time. I ran e85 from the getgo but everytime I've used pump gas since the turbos been on I've had this issue.

I'm running ecutek, remote tuning it currently. We've really got the car dialed in except for this issue. Unsure on the racerom version, is there a way I can check? My proecu software is up to date

Ok ask tuner avoid racerom 10 it had a lot of buvs use older racerom 9.1 or newer 11.1

If the issue inly happens on e85 check what changes in tables with ethanil content will need tuner to do it
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
MotoX16 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Is it a different map for e85 vs pump gas? Have them make sure "Auto blip" downshift is disabled, maybe there's a bug with it
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
MotoX16 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
MotoX16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Is it a different map for e85 vs pump gas? Have them make sure "Auto blip" downshift is disabled, maybe there's a bug with it
Same tune for e85 and pump as its a flex fuel tune. Auto Blip is disabled already
Old 01-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
MotoX16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Ok ask tuner avoid racerom 10 it had a lot of buvs use older racerom 9.1 or newer 11.1

If the issue inly happens on e85 check what changes in tables with ethanil content will need tuner to do it
Thanks! I'll ask what version he's running. So the issue only happens on pump gas, e85 seems to cure it. My tuner thinks its a combination of the injectors' low ipw performance and how my maf is sort of unstable at low load. He says that "a car will, generally speaking, run 'smoother' all around on ethanol, all else equal, if only because the injected volume is 35% or so higher, so small variations or error in any of those things contribute less to the whole".

Do you think there's anything I could do on my end to help? I'm running ID1000's but dont know if there are better alternatives (1050X?).

It's not a huge issue, just an annoyance at this point. I can get around it by just popping the car in neutral when I coast. But backing up in parking lots is always annoying with the car constantly revving. Or I could just run ethanol all the time, but winter cold starts are brutal
Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX16 View Post
Thanks! I'll ask what version he's running. So the issue only happens on pump gas, e85 seems to cure it. My tuner thinks its a combination of the injectors' low ipw performance and how my maf is sort of unstable at low load. He says that "a car will, generally speaking, run 'smoother' all around on ethanol, all else equal, if only because the injected volume is 35% or so higher, so small variations or error in any of those things contribute less to the whole".

Do you think there's anything I could do on my end to help? I'm running ID1000's but dont know if there are better alternatives (1050X?).

It's not a huge issue, just an annoyance at this point. I can get around it by just popping the car in neutral when I coast. But backing up in parking lots is always annoying with the car constantly revving. Or I could just run ethanol all the time, but winter cold starts are brutal

ID are good injectors, but if not done already run 100% direct intection up to say 0.5 load in the three pi\di tables,maybe decrease the rpm in the overun fuel resume table at higher coolant temps.

For the naf issue consider running hybrid speed density

Last edited by steve99; 01-11-2020 at 07:33 AM.