follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #71
BRZBlack

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Get a set of Blizzak WS70's on 16 inch steel wheels. Carry a plastic shovel, and a bag of cat litter in the trunk. Stay away from snow deeper than a foot (to avoid plowing) and you will be good. Going on my second Chicago winter and the first went smooth with these tires. Never lost control. getting out of parking spots on city streets required me to TURN OFF TC or you just won't move at all. Don't drive like an a-hole and you will be fine.
BRZBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRZBlack For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (10-11-2014), Superhatch (10-10-2014), Tcoat (10-08-2014), Ultramaroon (10-08-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #72
bluesman

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZBlack View Post
Don't drive like an a-hole and you will be fine.
Those are truly

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesman For This Useful Post:
fatalelement (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #73
stonenewt

Drives: BMW 120d
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
He knows he is just yanking his chain!
Mentally I just correct the typos in his username
stonenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonenewt For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #74
Dpforlife

Drives: Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drove all winter in New England with 2 50lbs sand bags from Home Depot over the rear wheels and never had a problem.
Dpforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #75
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpforlife View Post
Drove all winter in New England with 2 50lbs sand bags from Home Depot over the rear wheels and never had a problem.

Word of advice to those with extra weight in the back:

The Miata guys discovered this 25 years ago and it bears mentioning: The car will want to turn around if it has more weight in the back. Try throwing a dart backwards if you need a practical demonstration.

With snowtires, this car seems perfectly capable unless the weather has reached "nobody should be out here in the first place" conditions. At that point it is a common sense flaw, not a design flaw.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #76
D88

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Word of advice to those with extra weight in the back:

The Miata guys discovered this 25 years ago and it bears mentioning: The car will want to turn around if it has more weight in the back. Try throwing a dart backwards if you need a practical demonstration.

With snowtires, this car seems perfectly capable unless the weather has reached "nobody should be out here in the first place" conditions. At that point it is a common sense flaw, not a design flaw.
I'm glad to see this was brought up. The added weight will help with hill starts and generally getting started on ice but if the back end slides out, the added momentum from the weight gain will encourage the car to continue spinning right around. So there's something to be gained and lost here by adding weight.
D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D88 For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (10-11-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #77
bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D88 View Post
I'm glad to see this was brought up. The added weight will help with hill starts and generally getting started on ice but if the back end slides out, the added momentum from the weight gain will encourage the car to continue spinning right around. So there's something to be gained and lost here by adding weight.
It's more than just that. I posted this yesterday - it's one page back in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
If that bag o' sand is placed well behind the rear axle, the floor pan acts as a lever to shift the weight bias rearward by far more than 50 lbs. This lightens steering, reduces front grip, and increases off-throttle oversteer - so it can lead to a snap spin when backing off the throttle in a slippery turn or when even a little sideways. A bag of sand is most useful to spread on ice for traction, if you get stuck - and you want to carry it as far forward in the trunk as you can to minimize the downside.
When you change one thing, you change everything. And the weight distribution isn't the only factor of importance. Moving weight around changes the vehicle's polar moment of inertia, which is the primary change when a spinning ice skater pulls in his or her arms to turn faster. If you put more mass at the very back, you increase momentum in the direction the rear end is sliding (i.e. the backwards dart example). But if you increase the relative mass between the axles, the effect on PMI does the same thing it does to a skater - you spin faster in the same place.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #78
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
All of the farmers where I grew up always put two bags of sand in their old rwd pickups in the winter. I don't have any experience with it personally but most of the time if a group of farmers all do something its usually because they have results.

But...as I noted before LOTS of us drive this car in the winter with no issues.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #79
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
All of the farmers where I grew up always put two bags of sand in their old rwd pickups in the winter. I don't have any experience with it personally but most of the time if a group of farmers all do something its usually because they have results.

Around me they also hold their trucks together with baling wire and use random parts from the barn for repairs but I don't think I would do it with my car!
Ultramaroon (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #80
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post

So, you're comparing the 86 to a pickup? Do what you want but from a first-principles standpoint, @bluesman is dead on.

...ok, except for the spinning skater analogy. Not sure where you were going with the whole conservation-of-momentum thing.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 10-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #81
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
So, you're comparing the 86 to a pickup? Do what you want but from a first-principles standpoint, @bluesman is dead on.

...ok, except for the spinning skater analogy. Not sure where you were going with the whole conservation-of-momentum thing.
Yup. That's exactly way I was doing. I was in no way was discussing the idea of weight over the rear wheels and its effect on vehicles in snow...Just a direct comparison between the 86 and a pickup.

Obviously there are two winter driving experts in this thread. One says the 86 is useless in the snow. We should all take his advice and just garage our cars through the winter and buy trucks...But ffs don't put any sand in the bed.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #82
bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@bluesman is dead on....ok, except for the spinning skater analogy. Not sure where you were going with the whole conservation-of-momentum thing.
Simple - putting those sandbags all the way at the back of the car increases its polar moment of inertia, which means it's less sensitive to steering input, it's less prone to spin, and spins will be slower. But if the rear does break loose, it'll be harder to stop the skid until the rear is in front. So when the rear breaks loose, the rear will end up leading the car (the backwards dart analogy) unless stopped by a snowbank or guardrail in mid-skid. It's the skater with his arms held wide apart.

If you put those sandbags as far forward as you can (e.g. against the back of the raised rear seat), you reduce the car's polar moment of inertia. This makes it more sensitive to steering input, more prone to spin, more likely to keep spinning, and more likely to spin faster. It's the skater with her arms tucked in at her sides.

Shorter wheelbases make PMI a more critical factor in handling. So shorter lighter cars like ours can be affected by even 50 pounds of sand put in the wrong place during winter driving.

Weight at ends of car + loose rear end = slower spin to 180 or less. Weight toward center of car + loose rear end = fast 360s.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #83
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This will be my 3rd winter with the 86, and I'm coming from several FWD cars, half a dozen Subarus- from base Imprezas, a WRX, two STIs, and an Evo. The 86 is obviously not an ideal snow car, but it does just fine with snow tires if you don't drive like an a-hole as mentioned above. Avoid deep snow and keep your inputs smooth and progressive. GOes without saying dedicated snow tires are a must.

I also believe that snow drifting at low speed is a GREAT way to learn better car control, and how throttle can be used to steer the rear end. Even if you never EVER drift in the dry, it's a key skill to maintaining control *just incase* the car starts to slide you'll find yourself reacting correctly on reflex. Turn TC off and go have fun. Just don't practice in traffic, please...
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (10-11-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #84
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Simple - putting those sandbags all the way at the back of the car increases its polar moment of inertia, which means it's less sensitive to steering input, it's less prone to spin, and spins will be slower. But if the rear does break loose, it'll be harder to stop the skid until the rear is in front. So when the rear breaks loose, the rear will end up leading the car (the backwards dart analogy) unless stopped by a snowbank or guardrail in mid-skid. It's the skater with his arms held wide apart.

If you put those sandbags as far forward as you can (e.g. against the back of the raised rear seat), you reduce the car's polar moment of inertia. This makes it more sensitive to steering input, more prone to spin, more likely to keep spinning, and more likely to spin faster. It's the skater with her arms tucked in at her sides.

Shorter wheelbases make PMI a more critical factor in handling. So shorter lighter cars like ours can be affected by even 50 pounds of sand put in the wrong place during winter driving.

Weight at ends of car + loose rear end = slower spin to 180 or less. Weight toward center of car + loose rear end = fast 360s.
Isn't there something to be said for the weight on the rear axle applying more pressure to the tire's contact patch? If there's more weight, it effectively acts as a larger fin on a dart. I understand sliding on ice is an entirely different scenario, but as a slide begins in snow the tires do have some directional authority as they roll, it's not a complete loss of grip.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote