follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #1877
ZeroFiveSix

Drives: FR-S iin Pearl White, stock-ish
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davmandave View Post
*sigh* I remember when I was that kid with my Prelude. I was happy because I had a sporty little car for the first time in my life. I revved that car at everyone. Looking at it now, I was just another rice kid. But man, was I excited to have that car.

Now that I'm older, I much prefer to just enjoy driving the car. Less showboating, for sure. I like to cut the Honda guys some slack. Not everyone can afford a car like ours, but they still want the camaraderie of owning a sports car. I don't really bust their chops until I see super expensive mods on a newer Civic Si.
Oh nothing wrong with a Civic. A well-done Geo Metro is cool, even. The uh, "upgrades" are what gets me.
ZeroFiveSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #1878
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFiveSix View Post
Oh nothing wrong with a Civic. A well-done Geo Metro is cool, even. The uh, "upgrades" are what gets me.
I had a done up Geo Metro convertible that most people would never have guessed it was a Geo Metro convertible. Incredibly riced but it looked like some rare exotic. Even the stock 55HP was OK for the weight of the thing but mine was bumped up to a blistering 85 and could kick the ass of many "fast" cars. Smallest car header in the world though.
p1l0t (01-20-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #1879
Jhangles

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
I was just cruising back from the gym today, and when I went to make a right turn into my neighborhood, I realized how close a guy was following me. I noticed it when I downshifted to 2nd and they almost tapped my bumper. He then proceeded to stay close to me almost all the way home when he turned into some other apartments. It's almost like staying on my ass kept his small ego intact. Looked like a Honda or Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jhangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #1880
3ntropy

Drives: '16 Nissan Juke Stinger '14 R1
Don't have my 86 yet but I had a pretty tastefully modified BRZ try and race me in my Juke a few weeks ago, keyword is try; I'm sure he/she didn't expect a crossover to be peppy. My other vehicle is a humbly modified 2014 R1 and for whatever <insert deity here> forsaken reason, cars think they can beat a bike that goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds stock.
3ntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #1881
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntropy View Post
try and race me in my Juke a few weeks ago, keyword is try; I'm sure he/she didn't expect a crossover to be peppy.
Interesting, when shopping for cars last year I test-drove a Juke and an 86, and the Juke did not feel peppy at all. I kept wondering where did that claimed 180 hp go? I guess that the difference between actual performance and what one's butt dyno says ;-).
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #1882
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Interesting, when shopping for cars last year I test-drove a Juke and an 86, and the Juke did not feel peppy at all. I kept wondering where did that claimed 180 hp go? I guess that the difference between actual performance and what one's butt dyno says ;-).
CVT.

Unless you drove a manual Juke?

I felt the same way when I used to work for Nissan. 190hp on the spec sheet. Butt dyno begged to differ. But I only ever had the chance to drive CVT models.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #1883
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
CVT.

Yes, there was only a CVT on the lot. It was also AWD, which probably did not help because of weight, and I wouldn't want AWD, but there was no FWD to try out. I immediately did not like a few other things, too, so I did not spend too much time in the car.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #1884
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhangles View Post
I was just cruising back from the gym today, and when I went to make a right turn into my neighborhood, I realized how close a guy was following me. I noticed it when I downshifted to 2nd and they almost tapped my bumper. He then proceeded to stay close to me almost all the way home when he turned into some other apartments. It's almost like staying on my ass kept his small ego intact. Looked like a Honda or Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Awful story. You weren't rear ended at the gym or the drive home. All that cruising and staying on your ass wasted.

Is there a difference between subliminal and obvious?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #1885
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Just yesterday,,there was a volester tailgating me for nothing. I was just exiting a plaza and drive at normal speed 40mph, it looks like a asian high school kid to me.

So, I make a sharp 90 degree right turn and he doesn't follow me no more.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #1886
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So this morning I'm coming up the hill behind a Corolla S, LOL. It opens up to two lanes and of course he moves in the left going slow as hell. So I stay in the right lane and start accelerating up the hill. So now he decides he is going to try and close the gap before I come up on this rig. He fails miserably and I didn't even downshift out of 6th. Then he gets mad and starts flashing his high beams at me as slowly walk away from him. Why do people feel the need to just be in the way first of all? And second of all how are you going to drive like a bitch and get mad if someone passes you at the same time? I was kind of amuzed at it all but the guy seemed really pissed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #1887
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
So this morning I'm coming up the hill behind a Corolla S, LOL. It opens up to two lanes and of course he moves in the left going slow as hell. So I stay in the right lane and start accelerating up the hill. So now he decides he is going to try and close the gap before I come up on this rig. He fails miserably and I didn't even downshift out of 6th. Then he gets mad and starts flashing his high beams at me as slowly walk away from him. Why do people feel the need to just be in the way first of all? And second of all how are you going to drive like a bitch and get mad if someone passes you at the same time? I was kind of amuzed at it all but the guy seemed really pissed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
This happens every time I drive to the coast.
They go slow as hell on anything that isn't a straight line and as soon as a passing lane is available they speed up and then continue to do below the speed limit once the passing lane closes.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #1888
porsche550s

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It goes both directions too. I live on the coast and I hate going to Portland now because it takes so long to get there due to the passing lane speedsters. and if you pass them in the passing lane they get so pissed that I set my cruise control at 5 over and then just leave them in the corners. but after the first couple corners you never see them again till you find another caravan that decides to do 75 in the passing lanes and 45 in even the slightest corner.
porsche550s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #1889
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche550s View Post
It goes both directions too. I live on the coast and I hate going to Portland now because it takes so long to get there due to the passing lane speedsters. and if you pass them in the passing lane they get so pissed that I set my cruise control at 5 over and then just leave them in the corners. but after the first couple corners you never see them again till you find another caravan that decides to do 75 in the passing lanes and 45 in even the slightest corner.
Pretty much.
I rarely bother passing in the passing zone because I know I'm just going to end up behind someone in a couple minutes... unless I'm behind a total jackass, then I pass them.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #1890
3ntropy

Drives: '16 Nissan Juke Stinger '14 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
CVT.

I felt the same way when I used to work for Nissan. 190hp on the spec sheet. Butt dyno begged to differ. But I only ever had the chance to drive CVT models.

Yea mine is a CVT, didn't care much to get a manual since I have a bike for spirited riding, plus I can't live without cruise control in a cage.

180hp is for a stock non Nismo Juke, mine has a Visconti ecutek stage 2 kit with a couple simple bolt-ons (larger intercooler, short ram, and full exhaust). Not as fun to drive as an 86 I'm sure but she gets the job done.

EDIT: TIL some manual cars actually do have cruise control, well shit.

Last edited by 3ntropy; 01-26-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: A revelation
3ntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3ntropy For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-26-2017)