follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #1009
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey guys, I think I have a manufacturing issue. Is the pulley that goes on the FEAD bracket supposed to seat fully on the post that sticks out of it?

I could probably just jam it on, it seems only a slight amount out of tolerance.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #1010
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Gave it some encouragement, it seated with some firm smacks and spins well. Doesn't feel like it should be that tight of a fit though. Onward I go.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #1011
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Gave it some encouragement, it seated with some firm smacks and spins well. Doesn't feel like it should be that tight of a fit though. Onward I go.
Ya, as long as it spins freely, you are good to go.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #1012
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Glad you are enjoying the kit. You might be having the "dead pedal" you get right after flashing. With a 600 mi trip, it will probably fix it selft once you get home. If not, here's a little trick to fix that:

Put car on "Acc", press the gas pedal to the floor about 5 time, start car and let idle for a few mins.

The nice thing with this kit, my freeway gas mileage is roughly the same as stock (29-30 mpgs, used to be ~32 mpg). Wish I could say the same for city driving
Neal performed that little trick right out of the gate.

mpg was 31.4 over the whole trip...pretty good!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #1013
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Intercooler hoses suck ass. I don't know how you guys did them but I barely got them on.

I almost feel like you should put them on before you position the manifold and just throw them over your shoulder as you place it.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 AM   #1014
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Same thing with the fuel rails. It's easier to clip the fuel line first and then rotate the rail into place. Otherwise the angles are funky and the hose doesn't like to seat properly.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #1015
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
On 91?!?
yes.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #1016
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
So tired and frustrated. Everything is finally together tonight, flashed, checked for leaks, both coolant loops filled and bled. The car cranks, sometimes catches, but won't fully turn over. Tried about 6 times and decided I should stop. Took a look at my air hoses and everything looks right as far as I can tell.

Fuel pump fuse is installed. The only DTC in the entire system is A/C. Guess I messed something up there but it looks fine. I'm sort of at a loss right now.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #1017
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
So tired and frustrated. Everything is finally together tonight, flashed, checked for leaks, both coolant loops filled and bled. The car cranks, sometimes catches, but won't fully turn over. Tried about 6 times and decided I should stop. Took a look at my air hoses and everything looks right as far as I can tell.

Fuel pump fuse is installed. The only DTC in the entire system is A/C. Guess I messed something up there but it looks fine. I'm sort of at a loss right now.
A few obvious ones to start with:

Do you have gas in the tank?
Is your battery dead?
did you properly tighten the battery terminals?
Did you remove the protective film from the supercharger inlet near the throttle body?
What about the tape from the intake ports?
Do you notice any fuel leaks?
Check MAP and MAF connections and wiring loom for damage (pinched wires when you put the supercharger in).
Check to make sure that the MAF/Map and throttle body extension harnesses are plugged in correctly
Check the fuel injector wiring and connections.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #1018
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. Is this a straight forward install? ie car is stock otherwise with no additional parts? Aftermarket or CARB tune?

Going by my dad's good ol "FASC" (Fuel Air Spark Compression) and since your car is cranking and sometimes "catching" (by which I'm guessing you mean starting?) I'd check your fuel system first since you do mess around with that for the install: fuel lines, fuel rail, injectors, etc.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #1019
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
I decided to sleep on it and get back at it today. I didn't want to get to the point where I'm frustrated enough with it to rush things. My initial thought is also fuel. I can hear the pump cycling at least.

I'm probably going to do resistance checks on the MAF/TMAP harness if I see nothing with fuel... I'd imagine that even with a screwy sensor or cable it would at least run for a second or so before dying, though.

By catching, I guess I'm not sure how to describe it? It doesn't really fully fire up. It cranks a few times, then sounds as if it's about to start, but dies again before the RPM even get above 200-300. It's very immediate.

I did check all of the obvious stuff up top and this was a straightforward install and the tune is through Moto East... the only other power mods I have are full exhaust.

Last edited by Luftwaffel; 03-19-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #1020
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I decided to sleep on it and get back at it today. I didn't want to get to the point where I'm frustrated enough with it to rush things. My initial thought is also fuel. I can hear the pump cycling at least.

I'm probably going to do resistance checks on the MAF/TMAP harness if I see nothing with fuel... I'd imagine that even with a screwy sensor or cable it would at least run for a second or so before dying, though.

By catching, I guess I'm not sure how to describe it? It doesn't really fully fire up. It cranks a few times, then sounds as if it's about to start, but dies again before the RPM even get above 200-300. It's very immediate.

I did check all of the obvious stuff up top and this was a straightforward install and the tune is through Moto East... the only other power mods I have are full exhaust.
Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Ideally, my hopes of being able to complete an install of this solo within a weekend seems to be fading.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #1021
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Well, solid work I spent maybe 12 hours on it, most of it solo. I think I'm the exception as far as clean installs.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #1022
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Hmm. Still no closer. Verified hose locations with good light this time. MAF, TMAP, TB, 4 injectors, high pressure fuel pump, evap solenoid all plugged in. Double checked the fuel pump fuse with a multimeter, still no DTCs active.

Did I maybe not prime fuel correctly? Basically as soon as I finished, I ran a long "On" to let the water pump cycle through the S/C coolant with the spill free funnel attached. After the water pump stabilized, I pulled the funnel, ran about 5-6 On/Off cycles to let the fuel pump prime, then I tried to start it up so I could get some more fluid into the car's radiator, and here I am.

I dunno... air filter? I'd imagine it would at least start and stumble.

Last edited by Luftwaffel; 03-19-2016 at 02:12 PM.