follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #127
ronboogieon
BReeZy Hunter

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can someone explain what Moto Miwa was saying about actual HP increase in the video? Did he say HP at the wheel is actually 15 to 20 more than the current? So less loss due to the engine upgrades?
ronboogieon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ronboogieon For This Useful Post:
Oxyg3n (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #128
Elleteeh

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ CWP Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
What are your thoughts on that small gap between the spoiler and trunk? Usually wings that are off the body are higher up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I love the new spoiler based on the walk arounds from the videos. (I think the black adds a nice two-tone touch to the overall look) However, I'm not sure how much of a difference that gap makes in terms of its' aerodynamics, but I'm sure it'll grow on some people or just be easily deleted/swapped. Now I do have a concern tho; I can see some idiot kids come by and break it right down the middle since it looks really thin...
Elleteeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #129
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboogieon View Post
Can someone explain what Moto Miwa was saying about actual HP increase in the video? Did he say HP at the wheel is actually 15 to 20 more than the current? So less loss due to the engine upgrades?
I'm pretty sure @Zaku can ask him at Wed. He'll be formally asking questions to Moto-san.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #130
Resolute
in the recliner of rage

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboogieon View Post
I understood him to say that the parasitic loss is lower on the new car, so the rear-wheel horsepower is closer to the published engine horsepower figure. As such, the 5hp gain provided by the new engine may be realized as a 15-20hp gain at the rear wheels when compared to the old model. He mentioned several improvements made to the engine, including a more balanced rotating assembly, that could contribute to reduced parasitic loss in the drive train and allow a higher percentage of wheel horsepower than typically seen in the current model.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #131
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I'm pretty sure @Zaku can ask him at Wed. He'll be formally asking questions to Moto-san.
One thing I wonder from the car maker perspective is, what are they aiming for in terms of handling with all these new chassis and suspension refinements, like are they going for more high speed and cornering stability while giving up on retaining more traditional FR characteristics, by raising ease of operation to attract less hardcore more general type buyers? Or that in order to better the tuning stats somehow this is always the result? How is the term "refined" being define?

It seems as if some of these refinements might go against the initial design goals established when producing the first iteration (i.e. putting steering wheel controls might be less driver focused in design). Are they caving into competition pressure (e.g. Mazda trying to sell their ND Miata as relevant to the current times with more tech)?

Last edited by krayzie; 06-12-2016 at 10:43 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #132
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
One thing I wonder from the car maker perspective is, what are they aiming for in terms of handling with all these new chassis and suspension refinements, like are they going for more high speed and cornering stability while giving up on retaining more traditional FR characteristics, by raising ease of operation to attract less hardcore more general type buyers?
Great question, I'll refine the question a bit to ask him. Can you be a bit more specific to the traditional FR toyota characteristics? Are you speaking about say the AE86 characteristic or a Supra etc?

also I got a vid that answered the question you asked me before, stay tune to the steering wheel size.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-13-2016), krayzie (06-12-2016), raven1231 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #133
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Great question, I'll refine the question a bit to ask him. Can you be a bit more specific to the traditional FR toyota characteristics? Are you speaking about say the AE86 characteristic or a Supra etc?

also I got a vid that answered the question you asked me before, stay tune to the steering wheel size.
They keep saying refined but it would be nice to know if it's actually stiffer or softer.

Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oxyg3n For This Useful Post:
Zaku (06-13-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #134
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
The 2017 Series.Yellow....what upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
They keep saying refined but it would be nice to know if it's actually stiffer or softer.

According to the sachs review in japan it's actually close to stock @ low speed but much more stable & a lot less floaty @ high speed. Probably about the same stiff but the rebound/high speed damping changed quite a bit?
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #135
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

I guess more like an early to mid 80's Toyota RWD sports car (I thought this was their original intent, this "Fun To Drive" theme came from that era).

Actually you know this might be a dumb question; with all these so-called "refinements" have they shifted their baseline target from the older 987 Cayman / NC Miata to a newer generation of similar cars? Or perhaps since the twins have mature enough to develop its own unique characteristics that it no longer needs this sort of target to beat, but just better the old car as is.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pskpZE9VFDQ"]1984 TOYOTA Fun To Drive Ad - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by krayzie; 06-12-2016 at 11:47 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Zaku (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 AM   #136
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I guess more like an early to mid 80's Toyota RWD sports car (I thought this was their original intent, this "Fun To Drive" theme came from that era).

Actually you know this might be a dumb question; with all these so-called "refinements" have they shifted their baseline target from the older 987 Cayman / NC Miata to a newer generation of similar cars? Or perhaps since the twins have mature enough to develop its own unique characteristics that it no longer needs this sort of target to beat, but just better the old car as is.

Sounds good I'll work your question in with Ichitaka05 and ask Moto san later this week. Thanks!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-13-2016), raven1231 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #137
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
You all need to wait for 2018 hyper yellow series !
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed2th For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #138
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Brake power? To have brake power, car need to have proper brake pads & rotors... Which stock doesn't come with.

& yes, even w those brembos, doesn't have much brake power
My WRX has the same brake set up with stickier tires Sport Maxx RT, and tires is the limiting factor. 86 needs a stickier tires to utilize the power. Stock set up is more than good enough for daily driving. For autox, pads and fluid would be a step up.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:10 AM   #139
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Tbh Dark the car that we saw today and I've confirmed this with some evidence from observation. This prototype was a series blue, with some changes bits. For example we found blue floormats inside, the VIN was scratched off and finally the dash said 350 miles but the tires looked like it's been driven a couple thousand miles. So from that deduction I wouldn't confirm anything until you see a press release spec that says the exact tire. Again the Toyota had a different tired Turunza and not the michelins.
Good observation, Zaku. I will wait for the final spec. This car will be on my short list when I shop next year, so I hope it won't disappoint.
Zaku (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #140
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrop View Post
It doesn't matter what you want or I want, large, significant changes won't happen until a new generation.

In the mean time, people have been scooping up these limit editions regardless on what they do or do not offer.

Also, the 2015 model was not a refresh by any standards.

If you bought this car expecting something else, you did a poor job researching a large purchase. This car was never, ever advertised to be a fast car, but that's what "many" people want. Buy something else if you want a fast from factory car, or wait to see what they offer in a second generation.

*assuming quickness is an imperfection you were referring to*.

The car still has tremendous potential. That idea hasn't changed at all.

They were always promoting it as a sports car and not as a trendy car. In the initial developments factory was closely comparing it with other German sports cars from VW, BMW and even Porsche (Cayman Typ 987c). They never said it will be a very fast car, but the other sports cars were not really fast either. All this information was leaked years ago from the factory including the side by side comparisons. Nowadays, competition is far away and it doesn't seem that we are following. Personally, I was aware of what I was buying and there was a conscious decision that I'll modify my car. However, many people don't want to modify or want to be satisfied from the first day of their purchase. Anyway, in the end car sales will tell who was right and who was wrong.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote