follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #43
asnoir

Drives: An old Citroen Xantia TD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it not for the fuel pump?
asnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #44
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
It is for the fuel pump. I wouldn't remove those
mixtape (05-05-2016)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #45
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
Do we have official weight saving numbers yet?
Kinda reviving a dead thread here but...

First I wanted to say to Poormansracing, EXCELLENT write up! Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get to installing my kit!

About the new version of the kit, they only sell it WITH the additional sound deadening material for one price. It's actually a VERY nice kit.
Poor, or anyone else that has the older version, perhaps you could explain your kit pieces so we could compare. Mine came with 2 spare pieces of that multi-color insulation material standard in cars measuring 25" x 25" x 3/8". These can be applied anywhere. The individual covers for the seat bases have an 18" x 14" piece of this same material glued to their underside. The panel that separates the cabin from the trunk also has (I would assume) this same material on the trunk side but it is further covered by the same material used on the cabin side to give a finished look. A lot of thought went into this kit.

I haven't had the chance to install the kit yet so I'm not sure the actual weight savings of the pieces that will be removed. However, the entire components of this kit with all the extra material came in at 14lbs 6.8oz.

Hopefully there's a nice day this weekend to install the kit then I'll give you guys the total removal weight / savings.

-Mike
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
mixtape (05-05-2016)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #46
civicdrivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Kinda reviving a dead thread here but...

First I wanted to say to Poormansracing, EXCELLENT write up! Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get to installing my kit!

About the new version of the kit, they only sell it WITH the additional sound deadening material for one price. It's actually a VERY nice kit.
Poor, or anyone else that has the older version, perhaps you could explain your kit pieces so we could compare. Mine came with 2 spare pieces of that multi-color insulation material standard in cars measuring 25" x 25" x 3/8". These can be applied anywhere. The individual covers for the seat bases have an 18" x 14" piece of this same material glued to their underside. The panel that separates the cabin from the trunk also has (I would assume) this same material on the trunk side but it is further covered by the same material used on the cabin side to give a finished look. A lot of thought went into this kit.

I haven't had the chance to install the kit yet so I'm not sure the actual weight savings of the pieces that will be removed. However, the entire components of this kit with all the extra material came in at 14lbs 6.8oz.

Hopefully there's a nice day this weekend to install the kit then I'll give you guys the total removal weight / savings.

-Mike
Can you take pics of the insulation/sound deadening you're talking about?

Sent from my XT1095
Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #47
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Can you take pics of the insulation/sound deadening you're talking about?

Sent from my XT1095
Will do. I'll get a couple of pics tonight.
civicdrivr (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #48
gl2filmerguy

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I installed mine last week, and I love it. Great fit and finish. The sound deadener is like almost carpet padding you would get for your house, or sort of like whats inside your doors in your car to kill sounds and stuff.

This is what the stuff looks like...

gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gl2filmerguy For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (02-18-2015), Uplink (02-20-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #49
Uplink

Thanks GL, saved me some work.

Civic, mine came with the same stuff. 2 squares free floating, 2 rectangles glued and unfinished to the underside of the 'seat bottoms' and one rectangle on the backside of the upright panel finished with the nice material that covers the rest of the kit.
civicdrivr (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #50
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
i keep waiting for someone to make a delete like the OEM 2nd gen rx7 had when you got the factory 2 seat rather than 4.. it had locking flip top storage bins where the rear seat bases used to be... those were tits.

I guess I will have to try and make something myself.

Thanks for the post, this is certainly a better option that then $1,000 carbon fiber kit.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #51
Uplink

Honestly, it would add a few bucks but if they wanted to perfect the kit they could make the lower pieces out of carbon fiber with plastic for a hinge. It would support cargo with no issues while keeping the weight down. Then all it would need is a small carbon fiber or molded plastic insert tray to fit over the raw seatwell and it's done. They could rig up a lock to the bolt hole that held the front of the seat bottom if they wanted to get fancy like the RX7's.

All that said, had I known the quality was as good as it is, I would have bought this sooner without hesitation. The jury is still out on the weight reduction claim but I'm still very happy with it. Shrader did a fantastic job.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #52
civicdrivr

Thanks @gl2filmerguy & @Uplink. I have the older kit that doesn't have the free floating sound deadener, but it does have it on the rear panel. Admittedly, I've been driving around without the rear panel in place, and its starting to annoy me at highway cruising. I need to toss that panel on before I install the header.

Sent from my XT1095
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #53
Uplink

Just a quick update, I'm going to say the claim of 23lbs shed is... optimistic. I'll post some pics when all is said and done but here's where we stand:

My car is a 2015 and some weights are slightly different than the Official Component Weights Thread. In that thread, both rear seat bases total 6.2lbs. Mine clocked in at 8.375lbs. Conversely they show the seat back as 15lbs while mine was 14.375lbs.
My total delete kit components are 14.425lbs. So let's call that a wash with the seatback. Anything else is reduction. I removed both buckle receivers, both child seat brackets, the driver side seat hinge and driver side belt system along with all driver side nuts/bolts that weren't needed so far. That totaled 5lbs on the nose. It got too dark/cold to get the rest so let's estimate double that to include the passenger side. 10lbs + the seat bottoms gives 18.375 lbs removed. Hopefully the weather holds up tomorrow and I'll get exact figures on everything and post some scale pics.

I'm still firmly convinced this is a worthwhile purchase just thought you guys should have an exact measurement to go by.

One other note to anyone who hasn't attempted this yet... there are a LOT of pins in the side panels. 8 to be exact. Take your time and work the panel free slowly. It helps if you have or know someone with thin arms that can reach inside to apply leverage so you don't bend the panel.
juliog (08-16-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:38 AM   #54
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
@Uplink @gl2filmerguy & @PoorMansRacing :
How's the kit been for you guys long term now? Is it still worth the buy?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:07 AM   #55
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@Uplink @gl2filmerguy & @PoorMansRacing :
How's the kit been for you guys long term now? Is it still worth the buy?
Absolutely worth the buy!

If I'm honest, I've run into 2 issues with it. The first is the back panel (which is light, flexible plastic) only secures at the top and rests on the bottom piece. That means under moderate or greater breaking, unsecured things in the trunk begin to make their way into the cabin. That can be fixed by securing items or driving carefully. The other issue is that the lower panels are so form fitted (not a bad thing) that when I try to access the compartments for storage, the pins holding them to the cross piece wind up popping out. This could be remedied by using threaded fasteners instead of the supplied push pins.

Otherwise, the kit looks great, has no issues supporting distributed weight (suitcases, backpacks with a few laptops, etc.), and gets lots of 'That's not stock?!' comments. I would absolutely do it again.

Wish I knew you were interested, I was in South Jersey last week, could have let you check it out.

Last edited by Uplink; 09-29-2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Phone dropped extra emoticon in.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:08 AM   #56
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Absolutely worth the buy!

If I'm honest, I've run into 2 issues with it. The first is the back panel (which is light, flexible plastic) only secures at the top and rests on the bottom piece. That means under moderate or greater breaking, unsecured things in the trunk begin to make their way into the cabin. That can be fixed by securing items or driving carefully. The other issue is that the lower panels are so form fitted (not a bad thing) that when I try to access the compartments for storage, the pins holding them to the cross piece wind up popping out. This could be remedied by using threaded fasteners instead of the supplied push pins.

Otherwise, the kit looks great, has no issues supporting distributed weight (suitcases, backpacks with a few laptops, etc.), and gets lots of 'That's not stock?!' comments. I would absolutely do it again.

Wish I knew you were interested, I was in South Jersey last week, could have let you check it out.
Even if it doesn't cut weight, I'll add it to the mod list for next summer, it really does look OEM, it would be cool if it had some sort of cross or x brace too for chassis stiffening or something.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, rear seat delete, weight, weight loss