follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sound Systems and Stuff

A few people on here were interested in hearing (and seeing) what I've had planned for my 86 in terms of sound gear. Well the time has finally arrived, and I'm pleased to tell you, the end result will be KILLER!

I've booked all the work to be done next Thursday and it should be done by Saturday night. So until then, no photos. =(

What I can give you are the specs and some links for your viewing pleasure.

Head Unit: Stock
I will most likely be upgrading this in 3-4 months. But for now, I still want to play around with the stock unit just cos it's a new toy. =D

Processor: Audison Bit10
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

In most cases the output from the stock unit is pretty bad. It also usually does some EQing (even if the settings are default). This processor attempts to correct the HU EQ back to a straight line which then gives us a nice base line to work with in controlling EQ ourselves.

Door Speakers: Audison Voce AV 6.5
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=34

A nice pair of woofers in the door. The new Voce series is sure to impress.

Dash Speakers: Audison Voce AV 3.0 & Audison Voce AV 1.1
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=33
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=31

To lighten up my mid and high range are these two bad boys. From the same Voce range as the woofers, theses two will be tied in with a crossover...

Crossover: Audison Voce AV CX 2W MH
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=36

Simple crossover for used for the 2 speakers above.

Rear Speakers: Removed
Don't need them. Don't want them.

Subwoofers: Rockford Fosgate P3sd4-10 x2 (10" subs)
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=120426

Sick, sick... Subwoofer! lol...
I'm no bass head, but 2 of these will sound great. Planning to have these 2 shallow subs mounted in a small box against the back of the boot, facing out. HOPEFULLY we can make it removable so I can still drop the back seats and use the boot like that if I need to.

Amplifier 1: Rockford Fosgate P400-4
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=108230

This guy will be running my front speakers. Two channels dedicated to the door woofers and two will power the dash speakers.

Amplifier 2: Rockford Fosgate P500-2
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=108229

This amp will be running both my subs. I chose this one because it looks almost identical to the one above and outputs enough power to run the subs.

Boot Layout:
Now, this will become much clearer as soon as I can get some pictures up, but bare with me.

I was one of the lucky ones who got the full size spare which gave me that fashionable donut in the boot. I've decided to raise the floor up to the level of the donut (still keeping my spare accessible) and have some design in the middle (at the moment, it's the "86" logo without the pistons but I am open to suggestions here). The amps will then be sunken into the space we've created in the rear quarters of the boot with clear covers. The covers may present problems either with space constraints or overheating the amps, so they are not 100% confirmed.

The floor will be covered with material as close to stock as we can get to give it a very clean look.

Sound Deadening: Dynamat 10455
The doors and the boot will be given sound deadening. I have no experience with this, so I'm very curious to see how it'll turn out. =D

Progress... ( + Photos!!!)
So I picked the 86 up late Saturday arvo. (I missed her.) Sorry its taken me a while to get these photos up. I've been pretty busy this weekend moving some things around. Anyway, without further delay, here are some photos of the boot. A description follows the photos:

Name:  IMAG0202.jpg
Views: 6292
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0203.jpg
Views: 5257
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0204.jpg
Views: 4936
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0205.jpg
Views: 4813
Size:  87.5 KB

As you can see, it looks very clean! The 86 logo is a bonus touch and gives it a semi-stock feel. I still have access to my full size spare by popping out the middle bit. The subs can be taken out via the back seat. They are clipped into place from the rear and when the seat is closed are pressed firmly against the seat.

01/10/12:
The most annoying thing at the moment is that the centre brake light vibrates. A lot. It is starting to REALLY piss me off. We tried to put foam between it and the rear window, but it only improved slightly. They didn't have any thicker foam at the time, but they will in a few weeks. When I go for a retune, this is a MUST to fix. I'm actually looking into replacing whole thing maybe with an LED strip. Or I might just take it off altogether. Has anyone been pulled over for not having one before?

The sound quality of the system is pretty good. But to be honest, I feel like it's lacking something. It sounds kind of flat/empty. I only say this because of my high expectations. It's not bad in any way, I just expected a little more. This could be because the speakers need to be broken in, or it might be due to bad tuning. I plan to patch into the processor and have a play around with that after I'm done writing this. I'll definitely let my sound guy know and see what he says.

02/10/12:
After fiddling with the Processor's EQ, I got it sounding MUCH better. It was lacking in the high-end and low-mid. I boosted them, and now I've got the sound I want. =D I'll be going to Bunnings today to pick up some thick foam to try and stop the vibrating brake light.

Props:
A big thanks goes out to Lifestyle Store in North Parramatta. In particular:
Rodney - Works in the store and is an expert in car audio. He's done a large array of setups ranging from your everyday enthusiast to competition car audio systems. Very nice guy and very easy to talk to. He's always open to working with your you needs/restriction and will make great suggestions when asked. (The 86 logo in the boot was his idea.)
Anthony - He did the install. Again, easy to talk to. Explains everything very clearly. When he handed my car back, he showed me all his work and how to remove the subs. And also explained the shortcoming of the system (this rattling brake light).

That's about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :happy0180:

Last edited by Skorov; 10-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
so jealy
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
tjdiz92

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You seem like you know your stuff but the speaker in the door is just a woofer. So unless you want to put an upgraded woofer in there you're going to need to splice into the mid in the dash and put it where the woofer is. Don't get rid of the rear speakers either. it really makes a nice surround sound. I have a similar set up you can check it out here, http://nvsaudionj.blogspot.com/2012/...ket-audio.html , my installer made a nice blog about it.
2013 Argento Scion FR-S M/T 15% tint-6k HID headlights-6k HID blinker Switch backs-LED domelight-LED reverse lights-LED license plate light-Gloss black roof-Hertz audio components w/ 2 10 inch kicker L'3s.
tjdiz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
yomchi1989
n00b

Drives: Pfft... go by Kangaroo! STRAYA!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
A few people on here were interested in hearing (and seeing) what I've had planned for my 86 in terms of sound gear. Well the time has finally arrived, and I'm pleased to tell you, the end result will be KILLER!

I've booked all the work to be done next Thursday and it should be done by Saturday night. So until then, no photos. =(

What I can give you are the specs and some links for your viewing pleasure.

Head Unit: Stock
I will most likely be upgrading this in 3-4 months. But for now, I still want to play around with the stock unit just cos it's a new toy. =D

Processor: Audison Bit10
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

In most cases the output from the stock unit is pretty bad. It also usually does some EQing (even if the settings are default). This processor attempts to correct the HU EQ back to a straight line which then gives us a nice base line to work with in controlling EQ ourselves.

Front Speakers: Hertz HSK163 3-way Splits
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/sched...at=2&numprod=2

Some very nice speakers high-end speakers from Hertz Audio. These were chosen because they come with a 3-inch speaker. Perfect size for the hole in the dash.

Rear Speakers: Removed
Don't need them. Don't want them.

Subwoofers: Rockford Fosgate P3sd4-10 x2 (10" subs)
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=120426

Sick, sick... Subwoofer! lol...
I'm no bass head, but 2 of these will sound great. Planning to have these 2 shallow subs mounted in a small box against the back of the boot, facing out. HOPEFULLY we can make it removable so I can still drop the back seats and use the boot like that if I need to.

Amplifier 1: Rockford Fosgate P400-4
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=108230

This guy will be running my 3-way splits in the front in bridged mode.

Amplifier 2: Rockford Fosgate P500-2
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=108229

This amp will be running both my subs. I chose this one because it looks almost identical to the one above and outputs enough power to run the subs.

Boot Layout:
Now, this will become much clearer as soon as I can get some pictures up, but bare with me.

I was one of the lucky ones who got the full size spare which gave me that fashionable donut in the boot. I've decided to raise the floor up to the level of the donut (still keeping my spare accessible) and have some design in the middle (at the moment, it's the "86" logo without the pistons but I am open to suggestions here). The amps will then be sunken into the space we've created in the rear quarters of the boot with clear covers. The covers may present problems either with space constraints or overheating the amps, so they are not 100% confirmed.

The floor will be covered with material as close to stock as we can get to give it a very clean look.

Sound Deadening: Dynamat 10455
The doors and the boot will be given sound deadening. I have no experience with this, so I'm very curious to see how it'll turn out. =D

So yea! There you have it. I will post photos as soon as it's done. I'm expecting a significant improvement in sound quality from my previous sound system.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :happy0180:

How much was all of that?

I went with JL Audio. I reckon they're the best without going ridiculously expensive.
yomchi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Music isn't recorded in surround sound. There is a difference between surround sound and rear fill.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
yomchi1989
n00b

Drives: Pfft... go by Kangaroo! STRAYA!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
Music isn't recorded in surround sound. There is a difference between surround sound and rear fill.
Hi Nafe,

Do you think rear speakers are worth it, even if no one sits in the back?
yomchi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Skorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomchi1989 View Post
How much was all of that?

I went with JL Audio. I reckon they're the best without going ridiculously expensive.
With labour it cost me around $4500. I say "around" because that included removal of my old gear and that's not including the P400-4.

More than half of that cost is labour, but these guys do a very good job and it's supposed to take 3 days so I'm fine with that.

Quote:
This.

How often do you go to a concert with rear speakers? There's a reason for it. It can interferes with the sound waves causing peaks or cancellation. I'll agree that having rear speakers gives your sound a wider more "dynamic" feel, but personally I just want as close to the producer intended sound as possible.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
tjdiz92

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't mean surround sound in regards to recording. I meant it as hearing from all different angles. Get a full feel for the music. To each is own though, I personally love hearing my hertz from the back.
2013 Argento Scion FR-S M/T 15% tint-6k HID headlights-6k HID blinker Switch backs-LED domelight-LED reverse lights-LED license plate light-Gloss black roof-Hertz audio components w/ 2 10 inch kicker L'3s.
tjdiz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Rears are for fill, some like them others don't.
I personally always go with them

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
2 subs is overkill for this car, unless you want to go for noise over quality.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
dangerfield

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 6AT (Tornado Grey)
Garage
Epic, can't wait to hear the results man!
dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Skorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
2 subs is overkill for this car, unless you want to go for noise over quality.
They're only small...

You're probably right, but better to be safe than sorry. I'm putting a bass controller in the dash, so it's easy to turn up/down.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
JDMSushi

Drives: JDM86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
BassControl is a good idea.
BecauseHardcore...
JDMSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomchi1989 View Post
Hi Nafe,

Do you think rear speakers are worth it, even if no one sits in the back?
Personally, no. I may not remove mine, but only because of laziness lol.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote