follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #407
visbits

Drives: Garbage.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Got 4 out of 5 boxes in yesterday. Only thing missing was driveshaft, and of course a couple weeks before steel flywheels are shipped.

Everything looks really good.

A quick caution to those keeping your A/c compressor. My oil pan flange was too tight to the lower bracket. I had to file a little bit to get the pan flange to seat but other than that it looks/fits great. I wouldn't have noticed the flange issue had the compressor not already been installed. I can imagine it could cause sealing issues if you bolted the A/c bracket tight without knowing it was pushing the oil pan potentially breaking the seal. May not be an issue for others but seems like something worth mentioning.

There's also not much in the instructions explaining some of the passenger harness routing. I think I've got it figured out but was scratching my head a bit and probably split open some of the factory tape unnecessarily. Easy fix but would have saved me some time with a bit more clarity.

I plan to tinker some more this weekend with the Haltech stuff in the glovebox, but kind of at a standstill until the flywheel shows up. Seems silly to drop it all in the bay just to stare at it and then take it back out for final assembly.

Yeah I had to grind the pan flange back on mine too, i brought it up with them and they acted clueless that it was a problem.

Drill and remove the strut tower brace brackets on the firewall while you wait. You'll have to bend it up and down about 100 times before the metal gives up.
visbits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visbits For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (11-23-2021), ML (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #408
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by visbits View Post
Yeah I had to grind the pan flange back on mine too, i brought it up with them and they acted clueless that it was a problem.

Drill and remove the strut tower brace brackets on the firewall while you wait. You'll have to bend it up and down about 100 times before the metal gives up.

Yeah got those removed yesterday along with some hammering. With the tower brace I saw someone used the stock bars to help bend. Once I bolted both to the brace I was able to use a deadblow from each side to hammer/pull the part pinched at the seam. I imagine it would have taken quite a bit of bending to get out otherwise. I figured once the three spot welds were broken I was home free, but that clearly is not the case.

Also interesting you had the same issue with the pan flange. Was your flange on that side more of an angled cut than square? I feel like that was why mine didn't fit well there.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #409
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I also had the same issue with the oil pan and the flange coming out to far for the supercharger bracket. Also had to widen three bolt holes on the oil pan to get the bolt to thread in. They said "you'll get small issues like that with hand made parts"

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #410
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Interesting. I never sent them a message but it appears they won't care anyway. At first I was really alarmed because the pan would rock back from corner to corner with a massive gap before I took the little edge off. Luckily it was just the bracket and not a warped pan flange. The two holes where the factory studs are were a little tight but all others were just fine.

Also did any of you guys have issues seating the dip stick? I have to kinda wiggle and point it a little left to get it to drop in correctly otherwise I'm hitting some baffling?
Old 11-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #411
visbits

Quote:
Interesting. I never sent them a message but it appears they won't care anyway. At first I was really alarmed because the pan would rock back from corner to corner with a massive gap before I took the little edge off. Luckily it was just the bracket and not a warped pan flange. The two holes where the factory studs are were a little tight but all others were just fine.

Also did any of you guys have issues seating the dip stick? I have to kinda wiggle and point it a little left to get it to drop in correctly otherwise I'm hitting some baffling?

Yeah it fits kinda shitty. The pan parts are cut on a plasma table most likely and the torch tip is worn out.. having cut enough parts that's what it seems like. May just been a high travel speed too. It's whatever, you'd think for $700 It would be billet...
Old 11-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #412
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Am I to assume the factory 3 pin alternator plug is no longer needed with the new harness provided? If so what are you guys doing with it? Taping out of the way? Clipping and taping? De-pinning and taping? Taking them out for a steak dinner?

Basically just waiting on a flywheel at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (11-29-2021), Irace86.2.0 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #413
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
The directions were obviously made in a rush and without much thought to taking the clearest or best pictures. More like videoing the process the whole time and screen capturing stuff or doing quick shots as they just worked to get it done. It is what it is. Maybe they will update it eventually.

Maybe cut. Maybe tuck. I’ll probably tuck.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #414
ML

Garage
Quote:
Am I to assume the factory 3 pin alternator plug is no longer needed with the new harness provided? If so what are you guys doing with it? Taping out of the way? Clipping and taping? De-pinning and taping? Taking them out for a steak dinner?

Basically just waiting on a flywheel at this point.
what? Why aren't you using the alt plug?

Quote:
Old 11-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #415
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
what? Why aren't you using the alt plug?

The factory fa20 alternator plug. Pretty sure the new engine harness has provisions for the alternator through the Haltech settings so the one located by the fuse box is useless.

IF I understand it all correctly. I haven't messed with the Kpower harness yet to confirm.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #416
ML

Garage
Quote:
The factory fa20 alternator plug. Pretty sure the new engine harness has provisions for the alternator through the Haltech settings so the one located by the fuse box is useless.

IF I understand it all correctly. I haven't messed with the Kpower harness yet to confirm.
Ohhhhhh gotcha, yes you are correct the kpower harness has the alt plug

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #417
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The directions were obviously made in a rush and without much thought to taking the clearest or best pictures. More like videoing the process the whole time and screen capturing stuff or doing quick shots as they just worked to get it done. It is what it is. Maybe they will update it eventually.

Maybe cut. Maybe tuck. I’ll probably tuck.

They looked pretty comprehensive when it first dropped but once you start to dig in you quickly stumble into guesswork.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #418
visbits

Quote:
They looked pretty comprehensive when it first dropped but once you start to dig in you quickly stumble into guesswork.

Yeah I did mine without any documentation at all lol

Drilling the spotwelds on the strut tower bracket to make more clearance was the only thing I really missed over what they instructed.

I pulled my engine this weekend to replace the transmission already (I strongly recommend power reduction on shifts if you have a turbo build lol) and removed that bracket from my firewall. Previously I just bent it flat but its much nicer removed and wiring rerouted.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #419
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Has anyone test fit a strut tower brace yet? Looks like maybe Cusco, Whiteline, Megan, etc. style may clear but figured I'd ask before buying and wasting money.

Last edited by captain awesome; 11-22-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #420
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone test fit a strut tower brace yet? Looks like maybe Cusco, Whiteline, Megan, etc. style may clear but figured I'd ask before buying and wasting money.

I have a Blitz model. If you can hold off on waiting, I'll let you know if it fits sometime in early to mid December.
captain awesome (11-22-2021)