follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
DeathToocher

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1UZFE Swap

So I want to do a 1UZ swap, obviously there痴 no kits available on the aftermarket for this swap (I致e done some pretty extensive searching ). I have a buddy who works in the CNC industry that can fabricate most of the parts that I need. That being said, is there anyone on this forum that has done this swap or knows about this swap that could give me some help? I知 specifically looking for a parts list, what was left stock in the engine bay, what modifications to the engine bay were done (steering rack, clutch slave, etc), and specs (blueprints would be even better) for engine / tranny mounts (I will either be using a CD09 or an R154 transmission). I plan on using a Haltec ECU to communicate with the stock CAN system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeathToocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Chickeneatman

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
I am pretty sure the HP academy guys have a 1uz FRS that they track. Maybe they have some more details you could go off of?

https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/wirin...oject-panhard/
Chickeneatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneatman View Post
I am pretty sure the HP academy guys have a 1uz FRS that they track. Maybe they have some more details you could go off of?

https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/wirin...oject-panhard/

I had seen that. I actually reached out to them and unfortunately they said they had very little to do with the actual swap, which is what I知 most concerned about.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Chickeneatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToocher View Post
I had seen that. I actually reached out to them and unfortunately they said they had very little to do with the actual swap, which is what I知 most concerned about.
Dang... And they didn't say who did the swap?
For transmission, if you are looking into the R154, take a look at the AR-5. I will be using one in my LS swap. Its basically indetical to an R154, just with some Chevy parts bolted on. (and typically a lot cheaper) There are 1UZ trans adapters out there.
Pretty sure Motec ECU would be the best way to go to run the 1uz, and maintain CanBus of the stock FRS electronics.

As far as actually mounting the motor, I can't help at all there. It may be time for you to go to a junkyard to pull a motor and start a mockup.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
DeathToocher

Quote:
Dang... And they didn't say who did the swap?
For transmission, if you are looking into the R154, take a look at the AR-5. I will be using one in my LS swap. Its basically indetical to an R154, just with some Chevy parts bolted on. (and typically a lot cheaper) There are 1UZ trans adapters out there.
Pretty sure Motec ECU would be the best way to go to run the 1uz, and maintain CanBus of the stock FRS electronics.

As far as actually mounting the motor, I can't help at all there. It may be time for you to go to a junkyard to pull a motor and start a mockup.

I have reached out to the original owner of the vehicle and several others on this forum who have actually done the swap. Unfortunately none of them have gotten back to me yet, it seems most of them have been long since inactive on the forum . I think you may be right about pulling the motor, I知 trying to go for minimal downtime on my build tho bc I like dailying my FRS. Perhaps I should find a junkyard motor and cut the subframe / engine mounts out of the original car and see how they compare to the FRS? That could give me an idea of what I知 in for before I need to take measurements and pull the Boxer engine.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Chickeneatman

Quote:
I have reached out to the original owner of the vehicle and several others on this forum who have actually done the swap. Unfortunately none of them have gotten back to me yet, it seems most of them have been long since inactive on the forum . I think you may be right about pulling the motor, I知 trying to go for minimal downtime on my build tho bc I like dailying my FRS. Perhaps I should find a junkyard motor and cut the subframe / engine mounts out of the original car and see how they compare to the FRS? That could give me an idea of what I知 in for before I need to take measurements and pull the Boxer engine.
and I assume you have already looked through this thread? https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94994

His youtube videos are still up, just go to the URL in the initial posts. Looks like he had the mounts done by Surfab. Their website doesn't show anything, but maybe try reaching out to them as well?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
DeathToocher

Quote:
and I assume you have already looked through this thread? https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94994

His youtube videos are still up, just go to the URL in the initial posts. Looks like he had the mounts done by Surfab. Their website doesn't show anything, but maybe try reaching out to them as well?

I have looked through this thread, I want to get fab info out of the way but my greatest concern is modification to things such as the steering rack, whether I need another clutch slave, and how many of the 1UZ or FA20 engine accessories will I use and which ones from which engine. Just the little bits and pieces that really hold you up when you get to them you know? Great idea to reach out to surfab, I just emailed them to see if I could get any help / information on the swap from them.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
ThatDamnRanga

Drives: 2014 Dark Grey Metallic GT86
You won't be using the original gearbox, so you'll use the slave etc on the new box. There's a few possible options: T56/TR6060, Toyota R154, Nissan CD00x (requires trans tunnel mods)

You'll be able to leave the steering alone

You will use the accessories on the 1U, minus the p/s pump (idler in its place).

Engine management you can go Motec, Emtron, ECUMaster, or now Haltech (I'm going Haltech)

Surfab didn't reply to me when I sought info about the mounts. I'll be making my own. Exhaust manifold is going to be custom too, but I believe you can get away with using the smallest of the stock headers, they're just a bit shit.
ThatDamnRanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Guy on facebook doing one...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post

Thanks for the link but it doesn稚 seem to be working?

Old 05-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
DeathToocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDamnRanga View Post
You won't be using the original gearbox, so you'll use the slave etc on the new box. There's a few possible options: T56/TR6060, Toyota R154, Nissan CD00x (requires trans tunnel mods)

You'll be able to leave the steering alone

You will use the accessories on the 1U, minus the p/s pump (idler in its place).

Engine management you can go Motec, Emtron, ECUMaster, or now Haltech (I'm going Haltech)

Surfab didn't reply to me when I sought info about the mounts. I'll be making my own. Exhaust manifold is going to be custom too, but I believe you can get away with using the smallest of the stock headers, they're just a bit shit.

Let me know how fabricating the mounts goes. I figured on having to take the idler pulley and slap it on the 1UZ bc of the electric power steering. I had no idea there was a conversion plate for the T56, that makes things a lot easier.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the link but it doesn’t seem to be working?

You probably not a member of the group. Join

FRS/BRZ/GT86 Enthusiasts

A picture from his post....
Attached Images

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
Chickeneatman

I gotta promote the AR-5 as a transmission option. With an AR-5 out of a solstice/sky the shifter is in almost exactly the right location, and 1uz adapter plates exist for the AR-5

I am very interested to see what you figure out here for mounts and wiring.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)