follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
lumbeardjack

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
shopping for brakes & questions

I'm looking to get rotors, calipers and pads in the future. What are some good online stores for brakes?

I recently got new wheels and have been getting a lot of compliments on them as well as 0.02 from car enthusiasts: "Get pads that won't cover my wheels with dust." Is there such a thing or would pursuing pads like that compromise braking power? Not racing or drifting, just trying to survive winter and not have rust showing through my spokes.

Also I watched the video by "COBB University" and they said drilled rotors should be avoided because of the breakage that can occur at the holes...does daily driving/braking an 86 with drilled rotors present any issue?

I heard good things about Brembo and read countless articles that used the words "drum-crushing-Brembos" but I'm not overly concerned about brands

Lastly, this is just my knowledge in BMX but my anodized-colored rims would flake when I brake, would that be an issue if I found colored rotors?
lumbeardjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbeardjack View Post
I'm looking to get rotors, calipers and pads in the future. What are some good online stores for brakes?

I recently got new wheels and have been getting a lot of compliments on them as well as 0.02 from car enthusiasts: "Get pads that won't cover my wheels with dust." Is there such a thing or would pursuing pads like that compromise braking power? Not racing or drifting, just trying to survive winter and not have rust showing through my spokes.

Also I watched the video by "COBB University" and they said drilled rotors should be avoided because of the breakage that can occur at the holes...does daily driving/braking an 86 with drilled rotors present any issue?

I heard good things about Brembo and read countless articles that used the words "drum-crushing-Brembos" but I'm not overly concerned about brands

Lastly, this is just my knowledge in BMX but my anodized-colored rims would flake when I brake, would that be an issue if I found colored rotors?
What is your budget and what are your goals?
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Hello.
1. Any auto part store, either in real life or online. Dealership, or any place they sell car parts.

2. Yes they make low dust brake pads. Yes they hurt brake performance. Stick to oem. They fit your needs.

3. Drill rotors is just a marketing scam. Zero performance gains.

4. Brembo makes a lot of products. Big brake kits, pads rotors, from basic oem stuff to $5k+ kits. So to clarify ask them which brembo products.

5. You can have the rotors anodized or zinc coated. Just keep in mind that it's not going to be the whole rotor, just the hat. The part where the brake pad touch should never be painted.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
lumbeardjack (09-26-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
street pads for street driving pads, track pads for the track. ud think it would be intuitive, but youd be surprised how many people "just want the best." track pads do not simply "perform better,"in fact they perform terrible on the street. theyre cheap and easy to swap out so i have two sets of pads
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
lumbeardjack (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
lumbeardjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
What is your budget and what are your goals?
low budget and goal is commuting safely this Winter while also ditching my bland rusty, dirty Pennsylvania-road rotors while also not taking sex-appeal away from my new wheels
Old 09-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
lumbeardjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
street pads for street driving pads, track pads for the track. ud think it would be intuitive, but youd be surprised how many people "just want the best." track pads do not simply "perform better,"in fact they perform terrible on the street. theyre cheap and easy to swap out so i have two sets of pads
I'll stick with the street pads. I see a lot of options however, are they all the same as far as stopping power? I have not done any work for increasing horsepower so I don't want to be buying too much brake if that's something to look for in pads (total newb question)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbeardjack View Post
low budget and goal is commuting safely this Winter while also ditching my bland rusty, dirty Pennsylvania-road rotors while also not taking sex-appeal away from my new wheels
Plenty of options available. Unfortunately, all rotors are steel/iron discs so you're always going to have rust issues. While coatings help a little, it's just slightly prolonging the time between rusting and not rusting.

We can help you out with some parts if necessary. Just send us a PM.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote