follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: What should Tcoat have for lunch today?
hamburger 61 33.89%
hot dog 43 23.89%
other (please specify in comments) 29 16.11%
why is this even a thread? 70 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #2339
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
That looks disgusting! How could I market that. I'd be rich.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #2340
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
TEST: Can you remember what you had for supper last night?

brownchickenbrowncow
Old 02-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #2341
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Any cooks in here have experience with newer electric stovetops? The apartment I'll be moving to next month has a newer GE electric stovetop (probably ~5 or so years old) and I'm used to having a gas range..

Looking into it and getting apprehensive. Some sites and friends said they've used cast iron on theirs before and it works fine, but then some reviews of similar ranges say it's bad to use cast iron, and a similar range's manual (can't confirm it's the same model) recommends against cast iron.

But the only major issue I can find is that it's easier to scratch the cooking surface.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #2342
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Any cooks in here have experience with newer electric stovetops? The apartment I'll be moving to next month has a newer GE electric stovetop (probably ~5 or so years old) and I'm used to having a gas range..

Looking into it and getting apprehensive. Some sites and friends said they've used cast iron on theirs before and it works fine, but then some reviews of similar ranges say it's bad to use cast iron, and a similar range's manual (can't confirm it's the same model) recommends against cast iron.

But the only major issue I can find is that it's easier to scratch the cooking surface.
You might wish to check with ol @Sapphireho , no doubt he has experience up there, cooking with cast iron on stoves -

All I know is that our GE electric stove with a glass cook top had worked good for several years - then the main burner burnt out. Just as I got a new element ($100), the glass stove top cracked in several places, plus it looks like someone took an electric grinder to it.

A new glass cook top is $250, so, it's new stove time -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #2343
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

i think that's going to be the crux of the entire concept. heat is heat. electric isn't going to do anything differently to the pan that gas won't. in fact, electric is a more even heat, where gas has notable hot spots, so if there were any worries about cracking the cast iron due to uneven heating, gas is down a notch...

as i tell the new guys "don't tell the tool what it's working on, and it'll be fine."
Dadhawk (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #2344
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:

Is it induction, or radiant? Big diff.

I use cast iron on our induction range all the time. The ceramic surface will be scratched. Meh. It's an appliance, not a mirror. It is the most efficient and safest way to heat a pan, ever. There's a learning curve that involves understanding the detrimental effects of impedance mismatch but once the big burner is reserved for the biggest pots, available power and its control is impressive. It's possible to never burn a teflon pan again.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 02-07-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #2345
spike021

Quote:
You might wish to check with ol @Sapphireho , no doubt he has experience up there, cooking with cast iron on stoves -

All I know is that our GE electric stove with a glass cook top had worked good for several years - then the main burner burnt out. Just as I got a new element ($100), the glass stove top cracked in several places, plus it looks like someone took an electric grinder to it.

A new glass cook top is $250, so, it's new stove time -
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if mine would need to be replaced at some point just because I don't think I can be arsed to be 100% careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i think that's going to be the crux of the entire concept. heat is heat. electric isn't going to do anything differently to the pan that gas won't. in fact, electric is a more even heat, where gas has notable hot spots, so if there were any worries about cracking the cast iron due to uneven heating, gas is down a notch...

as i tell the new guys "don't tell the tool what it's working on, and it'll be fine."
That's what I'm thinking. Might just be a bit different in terms of use, but not results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Is it induction, or radiant? Big diff.

I use cast iron on our induction range all the time. The ceramic surface will be scratched. Meh. It's an appliance, not a mirror. It is the most efficient and safest way to heat a pan, ever. There's a learning curve that involves understanding the detrimental effects of impedance mismatch but once the big burner is reserved for the biggest pots, available power and its control is impressive. It's possible to never burn a teflon pan again.
I tried looking around, I _think_ it's an older model of this one: https://www.geappliances.com/applian...ange-JB655YKFS

But unfortunately when I took photos of it in the demo unit I didn't grab a good pic of the model number.

Seems like it's an electric range, not induction? But I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #2346
humfrz

Quote:
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if mine would need to be replaced at some point just because I don't think I can be arsed to be 100% careful.

Dang, spike021, there you go again, worrying about stuff you don't need to be worrying about. You're renting an apartment, including the appliances, right?

As ol @Ultramaroon says - just cook on the damn thing - it's an appliance - right?

If the range goes out/cracks, just ask the super to replace it. Just tell him that, no, you never turned the big element all the way up on HI and you never used cast iron pots or pans on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #2347
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Yeah, I've never owned one of those. Seems like the worst of both. Sacrifice conductive heat transfer to make it easier to clean... Invisibly gets hot AF... Scratches...
Old 02-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #2348
spike021

Guess I will just need to report back in a couple months. Also, not sure if the oven uses gas or not. I'd assume it's also electric but I guess I'll find out.

As much as I dislike my (likely) 30-40 year old stove/oven, having gas burners has been great. The oven just 'works', no more / no less.
Quote:
Old 02-07-2021, 11:12 PM   #2349
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yeah, I've never owned one of those. Seems like the worst of both. Sacrifice conductive heat transfer to make it easier to clean... Invisibly gets hot AF... Scratches...
I agree - but mrs humfrz wouldn't.

I found nothing wrong with the electric burner/coils type stove top. To clean it just take out the pans and wash them. To replace an element, just unplug it and plug another one in. With the coils, one is less likely to lay something on top of them, like they were part of a counter top. Plus they will always scratch and look like hell, no matter how careful you are and how often you clean them -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-08-2021), Ultramaroon (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 PM   #2350
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:

I am a gas guy.

You will learn to use and get used to any type in time. I'd rather have a nice place with a shitty stovetop, then...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-08-2021), soundman98 (02-08-2021), spike021 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #2351
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Quote:
I would love to have an outdoor kitchen with that stove. I have cooked on one.

The majority of my cast iron cooking experience is like this.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-08-2021), spike021 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #2352
spike021

Quote:
I agree - but mrs humfrz wouldn't.

I found nothing wrong with the electric burner/coils type stove top. To clean it just take out the pans and wash them. To replace an element, just unplug it and plug another one in. With the coils, one is less likely to lay something on top of them, like they were part of a counter top. Plus they will always scratch and look like hell, no matter how careful you are and how often you clean them -
I wonder if you could polish these to at least remove minor scratches, like you would with car paint. I think it's a ceramic glass.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-08-2021)

Tags
dia beat us, give me your lunch money!, gone sexual, instagram your food, it's time for plot!