follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #57
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Along with these two:
Name:  IMG_4921.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  89.2 KBName:  IMG_4922.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  96.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #58
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I have 570 miles on my FR-S since the recall was done on 1/22/19. When I picked up the car from the dealership after the work was completed, I checked the oil level and, as usual when they've done an oil change, it was slightly above the "High" mark. The car has never, ever burnd or otherwise dropped in oil level over the 45,000 miles I've driven it... there's 71,xxx on it now. Although I usually check my oil frequently (at least every fillup, and usually more.. yeah, I know... but that's me), I'd gotten a little complacent because the FR-S has been so reliable and never had any change. Today I had a couple-hundred mile trip to take and, given the scare stories here recently re/ problems after the recall, I checked the oil for the first time since the recall before heading out. There was NONE visible on the dipstick. NONE. The car is parked on a slight incline, nose-up, but I doubt it would account for that. I've also noticed that, although the car starts quickly and has been running as well as it ever has, it seems to sound louder and rougher upon startup than it used to, and the exhaust is darker. I chalked it up to paranoia over having major engine work being done recently... but.... ??

Needless to say, I took another car today. Will top off the oil, then monitor it closely and see what happens. My Toyota "Certified" warranty runs until July, and ALL of the work has been done at the dealership, so if something catastrophic happens they should cover it without question.

@Takumi788 , you didn't read this...
humfrz (03-01-2019), Takumi788 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #59
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I’ll just leave this here.

Man those pics make me nauseous

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
PWBRZ (03-02-2019), Ultramaroon (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #60
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
OK.. update to my last post. The first quart of oil I added still didn't bring the level up enough to even be seen on the dipstick. The second quart brought it up to the low line, and then the THIRD quart.. yes, THIRD.. brought it up to just above the high line. I drove the car to work this afternoon, about 25 miles, then checked it before driving home after my shift. Now, it showed way above the fill line.. like, maybe, a little higher than it does after the dealership overfills it after every oil change..over an inch.
On the drive home, for the first time in its life, the car hesitated and backfired after pulling away from a stop, and stumbled a few more times during acceleration. That's the first time in its life it has ever ran poorly. When I got home, I reved it in my driveway and it's stumbling slightly when you step on the gas from idle. Checked and don't see any signs of leaks.
First and most import question... what kind of damage does overfilling the oil do to the engine? Second, can overfilling cause backfires and stumbling? Third... why in the world would I need to add over two quarts of oil 570 miles after the recall being done, having verified that it was indeed slighly overfilled when I picked it up after the recall. Fourth... I'm assuming jacking the car and draining a quart is in my immediate future. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Really worried... any ideas/thoughts? During all of this, the engine oil warning light has never, ever come on and temps per the dash gauge have been as they've always been... normal.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #61
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
OK.. update to my last post. The first quart of oil I added still didn't bring the level up enough to even be seen on the dipstick. The second quart brought it up to the low line, and then the THIRD quart.. yes, THIRD.. brought it up to just above the high line. I drove the car to work this afternoon, about 25 miles, then checked it before driving home after my shift. Now, it showed way above the fill line.. like, maybe, a little higher than it does after the dealership overfills it after every oil change..over an inch.
On the drive home, for the first time in its life, the car hesitated and backfired after pulling away from a stop, and stumbled a few more times during acceleration. That's the first time in its life it has ever ran poorly. When I got home, I reved it in my driveway and it's stumbling slightly when you step on the gas from idle. Checked and don't see any signs of leaks.
First and most import question... what kind of damage does overfilling the oil do to the engine? Second, can overfilling cause backfires and stumbling? Third... why in the world would I need to add over two quarts of oil 570 miles after the recall being done, having verified that it was indeed slighly overfilled when I picked it up after the recall. Fourth... I'm assuming jacking the car and draining a quart is in my immediate future. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Really worried... any ideas/thoughts? During all of this, the engine oil warning light has never, ever come on and temps per the dash gauge have been as they've always been... normal.

Over filling a little is fine. Check the 10mm bolts that attach the DI computer thingy to the side of the engine.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #62
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK.. update to my last post. ...….First and most import question... what kind of damage does overfilling the oil do to the engine? Second, can overfilling cause backfires and stumbling? Third... why in the world would I need to add over two quarts of oil 570 miles after the recall being done, having verified that it was indeed slighly overfilled when I picked it up after the recall. Fourth... I'm assuming jacking the car and draining a quart is in my immediate future. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Really worried... any ideas/thoughts?.
I reckon for a non tracked car, a one quart overfill could be tolerated by the engine. I would be more concerned by what happened when the engine was 2-3 quarts low.

Well now, MuseChaser , that's just more than aggravating -

I don't think overfilling would cause backfires and stumbling - something else is whacked out.

For the engine to "use" that much oil, there has to be a leak somewhere.

I suggest you take it back to the dealer that did the work and ask them to "fix" it (the oil leak and the rough running).

I sure hope they get it sorted out for you.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #63
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you checking the oil level with the car on level ground? Are you checking the level with a cold motor or are you running it first?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #64
Octane

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Over filling a little bit is fine. Specs shows 5.7qt, I routinely put 6qts.
Over filling alot will cause foaming where the crank whips the oil and aerate the oil, causing the oil pick up to pull in air as well as oil and starving the engine of oil.
Over filling by alot alot will destroy the eninge. Oil will be forced into the cylinder and hydrolock the cylinder and engine go boom. Seen it once where a lube techs first week on the job didnt know how to read the oil gun and put 16qts of oil in instead of 4.5qts.

I've seen engines that are specd for 4qts that come in with less than 1qt of oil and it still ran... cant say its good for the engine, but it ran like that for a long time. No immediate damage but its definitely not good for the longivity of the engine.
Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Octane For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (03-03-2019), Teseo (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #65
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
UPDATE:

Dropping off the rental tomorrow and then going to have the FR-S towed to a Subaru Repair shop. I'll have them look into it and tell me what they think happened. Then, I'll get the car back on the road.

I just talked to the Manager at the dealership, and nothing is being done to solve this.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magoo For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-03-2019), humfrz (03-03-2019), Teseo (03-03-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #66
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
UPDATE:

After going round-and-round, the guy at the dealer says that he spoke to his tech and they found the codes on the ECU were recently cleared before they looked at it. They looked into it and found that it should meet certain criteria with what they have at Toyota and in their database and say that there must have been something going on before the car broke. For example: Running a custom tune then re-flashing the stock tune back before handing the car over.

There's no way for me to prove this didn't happen.

I'm now waiting for Toyota Corp. to call me back (at the advice of the dealer) and see what can be done next, which is going to cost me a lot of money.

This SUCKS. My stomach is doing flips.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #67
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
UPDATE:

After going round-and-round, the guy at the dealer says that he spoke to his tech and they found the codes on the ECU were recently cleared before they looked at it. They looked into it and found that it should meet certain criteria with what they have at Toyota and in their database and say that there must have been something going on before the car broke. For example: Running a custom tune then re-flashing the stock tune back before handing the car over.

I'm now waiting for Toyota Corp. to call me back (at the advice of the dealer) and see what can be done next, which is going to cost me a lot of money.

Sucks man, mine was dropped off for recall a week ago. After, there was oil leak and exhaust leak, so i brought it back again. And then i started hearing knocks just like yours, but not a constant knock, it comes and goes. I took it back and they say, it sounds fine. I flashed my ECU back to stock tune with oft, they better not pull sh** like how they did you.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #68
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
Sucks man, mine was dropped off for recall a week ago. After, there was oil leak and exhaust leak, so i brought it back again. And then i started hearing knocks just like yours, but not a constant knock, it comes and goes. I took it back and they say, it sounds fine. I flashed my ECU back to stock tune with oft, they better not pull sh** like how they did you.
Well OTS Stage 1 is notorious for causing exhaust leaks, oil leaks and random knocking sounds.... said no one.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #69
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Hopefully the Subaru repair shop finds that the oil pickups were plugged with by chunks of old sealant. Good luck claiming that's the result of a tune, Toyota...

Good luck man, it's ridiculous that this "abundance of caution" about a .01% failure rate has killed SO many FRS.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #70
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
UPDATE:

curiosity
how did you tune your car? ecutek or oft/tactrix?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote