follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #57
Stormalong

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus1 View Post
And? How is it with the PROcede?
Its pretty great, although I only got to do a little running around today. My first comment is that I sure missed the boost the last couple days when it wasn't working!

I'm not an aggressive (heavy on the throttle) driver, so the ESC didn't get a ton of use when I'm driving. Really only when I would deliberately fooling around for fun, or when passing (and boy is it great for that). So now, with the Procede I think its going to get a lot more use. As the other guys have said, its kinda like just having a bigger engine.

During my brief testing I also noted that it felt like things worked better with the transmission in Sport mode (I have an AT). I'm going to play with that more this week.

Based on comments I read here I started with the Standard map. But I got to thinking that since I'm such an easy driver the Sport map might be ok for my driving style, so I'm going to try that.

As I made one corner and punched it a little it felt like the engine bogged down for a moment, so the map might need a little work. Again I'm going to experiment more this week.

One other tip that I haven't seen anyone mention. I left the USB cable plugged into the Procede and routed the cable into the glove box, so I can easily get at it.
Talus1 (05-18-2015), WRB5titch (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #58
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
Its pretty great, although I only got to do a little running around today. My first comment is that I sure missed the boost the last couple days when it wasn't working!

I'm not an aggressive (heavy on the throttle) driver, so the ESC didn't get a ton of use when I'm driving. Really only when I would deliberately fooling around for fun, or when passing (and boy is it great for that). So now, with the Procede I think its going to get a lot more use. As the other guys have said, its kinda like just having a bigger engine.

During my brief testing I also noted that it felt like things worked better with the transmission in Sport mode (I have an AT). I'm going to play with that more this week.

Based on comments I read here I started with the Standard map. But I got to thinking that since I'm such an easy driver the Sport map might be ok for my driving style, so I'm going to try that.

As I made one corner and punched it a little it felt like the engine bogged down for a moment, so the map might need a little work. Again I'm going to experiment more this week.

One other tip that I haven't seen anyone mention. I left the USB cable plugged into the Procede and routed the cable into the glove box, so I can easily get at it.

Storm maybe try out my map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 AM   #59
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
why didn't i think of that..
Old 05-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #60
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Thanks for the heads up @WRB5titch. If you want me to switch anything up let me know.

On a side not Let me know if the phantom engages at 2500 rpms with low load( 5th or 6th at around 60 mph) It shouldn't bog or really activate boost but it may activate prespooling.

I tried this out on your map, it definitely bogs out at 2500 in 6th; I saw 2-3 psi, engine load around 2 g/rev, pegged rich AFR and a ton of FBKC (around -3 degrees) when it happened. Sooo I don't recommend trying to do that.

Keep in mind the second parameter in the table is not engine load, but throttle position. We don't have a good way to tell the procede about what kind of load conditions the engine is operating in when we go to activate; 2500 RPM while cruising on the freeway is not the same as 2500 RPM getting going from a stop. With the current configuration, I'm not sure what the best way to address this problem is, other than not activating boost in 5th/6th.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PantsDants For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #61
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
I tried this out on your map, it definitely bogs out at 2500 in 6th; I saw 2-3 psi, engine load around 2 g/rev, pegged rich AFR and a ton of FBKC (around -3 degrees) when it happened. Sooo I don't recommend trying to do that.

Keep in mind the second parameter in the table is not engine load, but throttle position. We don't have a good way to tell the procede about what kind of load conditions the engine is operating in when we go to activate; 2500 RPM while cruising on the freeway is not the same as 2500 RPM getting going from a stop. With the current configuration, I'm not sure what the best way to address this problem is, other than not activating boost in 5th/6th.

How much accelerator did you do?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 05-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #62
PantsDants

Quote:
How much accelerator did you do?

Throttle was right around 45%. Looking at the logs, for the sake of accuracy, this was actually around 2600-2700 RPM.

http://datazap.me/u/pantsdants/51815...zoom=8429-9130
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #63
PantsDants

If I had to guess what's going on, there's some additional load limit and/or fueling compensation in the maps somewhere that's throwing the calculated load off in these low RPM, high load situations. It doesn't make any sense to me that my fuel map is targeting 12.5 in that range, and my LTFT is 0, and yet it's pegging the AFR sensor and calculating higher load than what is normally seen at redline in full boost.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #64
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Throttle was right around 45%. Looking at the logs, for the sake of accuracy, this was actually around 2600-2700 RPM.

http://datazap.me/u/pantsdants/51815...zoom=8429-9130

Actually at 45% that makes sense.

Installed Mods:
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #65
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
If I had to guess what's going on, there's some additional load limit and/or fueling compensation in the maps somewhere that's throwing the calculated load off in these low RPM, high load situations. It doesn't make any sense to me that my fuel map is targeting 12.5 in that range, and my LTFT is 0, and yet it's pegging the AFR sensor and calculating higher load than what is normally seen at redline in full boost.
Today I have more time to explain what I did to Shiv's map, and also talk about what you reported.

Basically, at lower rpms I lowered the intensity of the ramp up of the phantom. As others have stated at lower rpms and 4-5 psi of boost, the engine goes a wee bit wonky. I tried to limit the amount of boost by lowering or disabling voltage going to the phantom.

The reason I asked someone to test at 2500-3000 rpms was because up to 30%-35% of throttle input should not engage the phantom, but may engage the prespool. (If you load the map you can see this on the lower left side of the map)

If I extend this area out I can actually completely disable the phantom at lower rpms, but I feel like it may effect daily driving. As sometimes we want to hammer the throttle and roll through the gears. (I know I do.)

So as @PantsDants said... don't go passed 45% on the throttle at lower rpms in 5th or 6th gear and we should be fine.

Installed Mods:

Last edited by Sojhinn; 05-20-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #66
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Shiv, can you somehow bring the vehicles' speed to the Procede controller for special mapping? This would eliminate the problem of wanting boost in lower gears that don't bog down, and not wanting boost in higher gears which bog down. Vehicle speed could be used in conjunction with RPM's to determine whether or not to boost. It wouldn't matter whether or not it was an automatic, or a manual, whether it was in 3rd gear or 6th. Vehicle speed and RPM can be the determining factor, and it is in electronic format that is reported to the ECU, so it should be doable. This would make the Procede controller much easier to tune right the first time.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gums (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #67
PantsDants

Quote:
Today I have more time to explain what I did to Shiv's map, and also talk about what you reported.

Basically, at lower rpms I lowered the intensity of the ramp up of the phantom. As others have stated at lower rpms and 4-5 psi of boost, the engine goes a wee bit wonky. I tried to limit the amount of boost by lowering or disabling voltage going to the phantom.

The reason I asked someone to test at 2500-3000 rpms was because up to 30%-35% of throttle input should not engage the phantom, but may engage the prespool. (If you load the map you can see this on the lower left side of the map)

If I extend this area out I can actually completely disable the phantom at lower rpms, but I feel like it may effect daily driving. As sometimes we want to hammer the throttle and roll through the gears. (I know I do.)

So as @PantsDants said... don't go passed 45% on the throttle at lower rpms in 5th or 6th gear and we should be fine.
I understand why you mapped the Procede the way you did and it makes sense. I'm trying to figure out why the engine behaves the way it does in these situations though. I'm not convinced that "that's just the way it is" and that it can't be mitigated in the tune somewhere.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #68
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
I understand why you mapped the Procede the way you did and it makes sense. I'm trying to figure out why the engine behaves the way it does in these situations though. I'm not convinced that "that's just the way it is" and that it can't be mitigated in the tune somewhere.
If you want I can modify it further to stop the bog. Its not difficult and you can tell me how it works. I'm thinking if I extend it out some more I might be able to mitigate the bog, and not effect daily driving.

Worth a shot?

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
PantsDants (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #69
PantsDants

Quote:
If you want I can modify it further to stop the bog. Its not difficult and you can tell me how it works. I'm thinking if I extend it out some more I might be able to mitigate the bog, and not effect daily driving.

Worth a shot?
It's worth trying, but simply restricting boost to above X RPM across the board is just putting a bandaid on the underlying problem.

What I meant by "mitigating in the tune" was the ECU tune, because as it is, it's badly miscalculating the load. I shouldn't be seeing 2 g/rev at 2500 RPM and 45% throttle when I'm only seeing at the very most 1.5-1.6 g/rev at full throttle at redline and everywhere else. This miscalculation is causing it to go super rich and bog; the ECU thinks way more air is entering the engine than what is actually there. It's not the MAF scaling, because at the same voltage at higher RPMs it behaves correctly, repeatably, with the commanded and actual AFRs closely matching.

I'm currently playing around with the Engine Load Compensation (MP) table to see if I can at least get the load calculation close to where it should be. This table supplies a percentage that's multiplied against the calculated load based on manifold pressure. I'll let you guys know my results. And obviously I'm open to suggestions or I wouldn't have brought this up in the first place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PantsDants For This Useful Post:
Gums (05-20-2015), Sojhinn (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #70
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
It's worth trying, but simply restricting boost to above X RPM across the board is just putting a bandaid on the underlying problem.

What I meant by "mitigating in the tune" was the ECU tune, because as it is, it's badly miscalculating the load. I shouldn't be seeing 2 g/rev at 2500 RPM and 45% throttle when I'm only seeing at the very most 1.5-1.6 g/rev at full throttle at redline and everywhere else. This miscalculation is causing it to go super rich and bog; the ECU thinks way more air is entering the engine than what is actually there. It's not the MAF scaling, because at the same voltage at higher RPMs it behaves correctly, repeatably, with the commanded and actual AFRs closely matching.

I'm currently playing around with the Engine Load Compensation (MP) table to see if I can at least get the load calculation close to where it should be. This table supplies a percentage that's multiplied against the calculated load based on manifold pressure. I'll let you guys know my results. And obviously I'm open to suggestions or I wouldn't have brought this up in the first place.
AH! I got you now. I was confused. Any other suggestions on the map for the PROcede?

Installed Mods: