follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a MK7 DSG Golf R and a Cosworth SC BRZ tS. Every time I drive my BRZ, I have a smile on my face.

Golf R is perfect for daily/family/snowy condition/road trip. If you are driving alone, BRZ will make you excited like you seeing your first love.

I would go for the twin if you don't have to put any passenger in the back!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #16
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!
After hearing all these opinions, and realizing that I was spot on with what I suspected, I definitely want to pull the trigger on the BRZ!!
Now the only variable is price. I refuse to pay over MSRP for a car. As long as I can get it at a reasonable price, I'm good to go, otherwise, I will pass and wait until the Covid pricing calms down a little.
I'll keep you guys posted after I speak to a dealer.
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #17
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
These might also help you make your decision:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-gti-compared/

And counterpoint:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...st-review/amp/

All interesting viewpoints. No clear right or wrong, just different cars suited for different use cases.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (12-29-2021), Midnightsky (12-29-2021), whataboutbob (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #18
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
Hi guys/gals,

I just signed up to the forum, excited about (possibly) buying the BRZ, and looking for advice. I am seriously considering buying the new 2022 BRZ, but wanted to make sure it was a wise move, and need some encouragement, especially from people that went from a GTI to the BRZ, and are happy about it.
My concerns are that I currently LOVE my GTI. I use it as my "bad weather" daily, and my track car. It is very comfortable as a daily, has a lot of versatility, and it also performs reasonably well in our NY winters. I have done a lot of performance modifications to make it track ready, and it is very quick on street, and track. I tend to beat up on cars that I have no business beating up on. So you ask, if it's that good, why do you want to replace it?
Well, to be honest, 80% of the reason is that it is "wrong wheel drive", lol. The other 20% is probably that it is too top heavy.
I have a lot of track experience, so I got to the point that I am starting to get bored because it is "too easy" to drive. I literally can drive at the limit (even in the rain) and feel like I'm on a Sunday drive. Of course my passengers are in awe, and sometimes pooping in their pants, but I'm not feeling thrilled.

Well, I feel like the BRZ can change that for me. It is a RWD car with a manual transmission, and a low center of gravity. It has very playful characteristics, that, I think should, keep me excited for a longer time. However, my main concern is the lack of power (compared to my tuned GTI). I also lose the back seat, and cargo space. The back seat isn't too big of an issue though, because I have other cars that I can use in an emergency.

Were any of you in a similar predicament? Were you happy you made the change, or do you have some regrets?
I'm predicting that I will truly love this car, and its playfulness and chassis dynamics should definitely make up for the lost speed. My intent for this car would be to leave it essentially stock, I don’t want to go down the modding rabbit hole like I did with the GTI. I intend to just put on a good set of street/track brake pads (maybe Ferodo), and a good brake fluid (maybe Motul RBF660), then break the car in for about 1500-2000 miles, then head to the track.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Should I just dive in, and order one?
I had a MK7 Golf, a 1.8/5MT for 5 years. I also have spent a decent amount of time in 7 and 7.5 GTI's and a little bit in a 7R.

The versatility sucks comparatively. Trunk is fine for a coupe but can't compare to a hatch. The rear seats are also comparatively diminutive but I can sit behind myself in my BRZ (5' 9") in a pinch.

Driving wise, I will say this car for one does not feel slow. It's no rocket ship but it is fast enough to get you to jail haha. It does not have the low down punch the IS20/38 provides but has much more character as you rev it out. Also, the EA888 sounds pretty terrible in my opinion compared to the FA24. For me though, the biggest draw is the dynamics. It wins hands down to any car in the price segment. I always hated how numb the steering on my Golf was and the chassis balance of complete and utter understeer. The BRZ chassis is just much more purposeful as you would expect. Lastly, I am a child and I like to drift. Owned quite a few drift cars and tracked them. You definitely cannot slide a MK7 though I definitely tried with the handbrake lol.

I would also compare reliability too, the reason I sold my Golf was because it started burning coolant. No clue why as it was totally stock and had 28k miles and I had never beaten it to death. Also was having some electrical gremlins with the passenger airbag.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #19
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
I had a MK7 Golf, a 1.8/5MT for 5 years. I also have spent a decent amount of time in 7 and 7.5 GTI's and a little bit in a 7R.

The versatility sucks comparatively. Trunk is fine for a coupe but can't compare to a hatch. The rear seats are also comparatively diminutive but I can sit behind myself in my BRZ (5' 9") in a pinch.

Driving wise, I will say this car for one does not feel slow. It's no rocket ship but it is fast enough to get you to jail haha. It does not have the low down punch the IS20/38 provides but has much more character as you rev it out. Also, the EA888 sounds pretty terrible in my opinion compared to the FA24. For me though, the biggest draw is the dynamics. It wins hands down to any car in the price segment. I always hated how numb the steering on my Golf was and the chassis balance of complete and utter understeer. The BRZ chassis is just much more purposeful as you would expect. Lastly, I am a child and I like to drift. Owned quite a few drift cars and tracked them. You definitely cannot slide a MK7 though I definitely tried with the handbrake lol.

I would also compare reliability too, the reason I sold my Golf was because it started burning coolant. No clue why as it was totally stock and had 28k miles and I had never beaten it to death. Also was having some electrical gremlins with the passenger airbag.
Haha..
I agree about the room in the car, there is obviously no comparison. I can tell you that I don't absolutely need the room, but I can't promise that I won't miss the room. I did decide that I'm ok with that though, and decided to put driving dynamics, and fun as a priority for now, hence, my urge for the BRZ!
I'm also a child (53 yrs old), and love to drive my cars at the limit as much as possible (as long as it's safe (that's the growing up part that I did))
The Following User Says Thank You to Up4speed For This Useful Post:
Kona61 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #20
Kona61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
Haha..
I agree about the room in the car, there is obviously no comparison. I can tell you that I don't absolutely need the room, but I can't promise that I won't miss the room. I did decide that I'm ok with that though, and decided to put driving dynamics, and fun as a priority for now, hence, my urge for the BRZ!
I'm also a child (53 yrs old), and love to drive my cars at the limit as much as possible (as long as it's safe (that's the growing up part that I did))
Well, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it if you buy one! Best of luck.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #21
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
Well, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it if you buy one! Best of luck.
Thank you! I will keep you guys updated on the progress
Old 12-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #22
Aroundomaha

Drives: 2022 BRZ
GTI is fun but ...

My thoughts on this are primarily as an autocrosser who had a 2018 GTI as my daily.

My GTI was stock with the exception of a 26mm rear sway bar, Enkei RPF1 wheels with 5mm spacers, RT660 tires, and some rear wheel toe out. The turn-in, rotation, and overall feel of the car were wonderful in my opinion.

But I was frustrated by my lack of a limited-slip differential and decided to sell the car with the intention of buying something similar. I test drove the Veloster N, Civic Type R, a 2019 GTI, and a 2020 Miata. The last point is essential as it was transformative. When I tested the Miata I had a riot and fell in love with the mechanical feel and flingability.

I had previously driven the first gen 86 and "liked" it but something didn't quite connect with me. The Miata test drive made me feel that I wanted a RWD experience, but had concerns about how practical it would be for me.

I decided to take a chance on the BRZ after obsessively watching SavageGeese, Sarah N Tuned, Matt Maran, and Everyday Driver reviews.

I took delivery last week and am only 250 miles into this new experience. Based on that limited level of experience I have no regrets about the change. The mk7.5 GTI is still a little more refined in my opinion, so whether the change makes sense depends on your situation and preferences. My GTI was great at highway speeds and I could cruise at 80+ at reasonable levels of RPM due to gear ratios.

With work from home, my commute went away, and I also decided that having four doors to carry passengers was no longer critical.

After a couple of hundred miles I'm very happy with my choice.

Last edited by Aroundomaha; 12-30-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Aroundomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aroundomaha For This Useful Post:
GoodToBeKing (01-01-2022), Stonehorsw (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundomaha View Post
My thoughts on this are primarily as an autocrosser who had a 2018 GTI as my daily.

My GTI was stock with the exception of a 26mm rear sway bar, Enkei RPF1 wheels with 5mm spacers, RT660 tires, and some rear wheel toe out. The turn-in, rotation, and overall feel of the car were wonderful in my opinion.

But I was frustrated by my lack of a limited-slip differential and decided to sell the car with the intention of buying something similar. I test drove the Veloster N, Civic Type R, a 2019 GTI, and a 2020 Miata. The last point is essential as it was transformative. When I tested the Miata I had a riot and fell in love with the mechanical feel and flingability.

I had previously driven the first gen 86 and "liked" it but something didn't quite connect with me. The Miata test drove made me feel that I wanted a RWD experience, but had concerns about how practical it would be for me.

I decided to take a chance on the BRZ after obsessively watching SavageGeese, Sarah N Tuned, Matt Maran, and Everyday Driver reviews.

I took delivery last week and am only 250 miles into this new experience. Based on that limited level of experience I have no regrets about the change. The mk7.5 GTI is still a little more refined in my opinion, so whether the change makes sense depends on your situation and preferences. My GTI was great at highway speeds and I could cruise at 80+ at reasonable levels of RPM due to gear ratios.

With work from home, my commute went away, and I also decided that having four doors to carry passengers was no longer critical.

After a couple of hundred miles I'm very happy with my choice.
Congrats, and enjoy your new car!

I'm in a similar situation. I don't need to commute with the car, and I have other cars if I have passengers, or need to haul stuff.
This car will be used just to knock around town to run small errands, use in the winter (I will get a set of wheels with winter tires) and drive up to a track (all tracks are approx between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 hrs away), Race around the track and drive home. That's really it.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #24
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went from a 2009 GTI to the 2013 Limited BRZ.

Both cars are stock; both with manual transmissions

The GTI was a great car but I found it’s handling limits in even spirited suburban driving. It excels as a freeway driver. 700 mile drives are a breeze. Ergonomics were very good

The BRZ is a far more entertaining driver. Although it lacks in outright speed, the handling is exceptional. The seats are better than those in the GTI and ergonomics are superb. All switches, controls, shifter are perfectly placed. The one exception is the audio control unit. Who signed off on those damn soft touch switches?

It is noisier than the GTI

I was concerned enough about the noise that I brought a pair of ear pugs for my first road trip of 1,000 miles. They proved disorientating so I didn’t use them much. The surface of the road has much to do with road noise. In the end I did not find it excessive or fatiguing. Sound absorption can be added if it desired.

The BRZ has decent cargo capacity and with back seat down it’s amazing how much stuff will fit. I bought an 8 foot ladder and only had a couple feet sticking out the back.

I have Michelin all seasons on it now, and the handling is decidedly softer than with the Primacies. this spring will get some Summer tires.

Unless you need to fit 4 adults in your car, theBRZ is the driver’s choice
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #25
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
I went from a 2009 GTI to the 2013 Limited BRZ.

Both cars are stock; both with manual transmissions

The GTI was a great car but I found it’s handling limits in even spirited suburban driving. It excels as a freeway driver. 700 mile drives are a breeze. Ergonomics were very good

The BRZ is a far more entertaining driver. Although it lacks in outright speed, the handling is exceptional. The seats are better than those in the GTI and ergonomics are superb. All switches, controls, shifter are perfectly placed. The one exception is the audio control unit. Who signed off on those damn soft touch switches?

It is noisier than the GTI

I was concerned enough about the noise that I brought a pair of ear pugs for my first road trip of 1,000 miles. They proved disorientating so I didn’t use them much. The surface of the road has much to do with road noise. In the end I did not find it excessive or fatiguing. Sound absorption can be added if it desired.

The BRZ has decent cargo capacity and with back seat down it’s amazing how much stuff will fit. I bought an 8 foot ladder and only had a couple feet sticking out the back.

I have Michelin all seasons on it now, and the handling is decidedly softer than with the Primacies. this spring will get some Summer tires.

Unless you need to fit 4 adults in your car, theBRZ is the driver’s choice
Thank you for the detailed write up!!
It is nice to hear an opinion comparing stock, to stock driving dynamics. I am really looking for a knock around town / HPDE track car and that's about it. I would take my other cars on a longer trip, so it sounds like this is a car I would really like!
The good news is that they improved the power of the car substantially for the 2022 model year. They increased the engine size a little, aded HP and more importantly flattened out the torque curve. comparing 2022 BRZ/GTI, now, the BRZ is actually faster off the line, but after they are at speed, the GTI is faster. So realistically, I can call them about the same. Obviously compared to my tuned 2015 GTI, it will be slower, but I feel that the improved handling dynamics will make up for it in driving pleasure (Or at least I hope, lol)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:42 PM   #26
brzsgal

Drives: 2022 BRZ
My bf owns a MK7 GTI that I have driven quite often and I just took delivery of the 2022 BRZ. The GTI is currently stock. So here's my long comparison between the 2 and hopefully it'll help with your decision.

1. Power-wise, I don't feel the BRZ to be that slow. But I would say that the GTI seems to have a longer gear and pulls so nicely across the entire RPM range.
2. The GTI rides a lot quieter, which I think is helpful if you are gonna go on a long road trip.
3. The infotainment unit on the BRZ is quite basic. The resolution is rather low but having CarPlay is a plus since the voice control on the GTI is a bit funky IMO so we never really use it. GTI's sound system is also better than the BRZ.
4. I prefer the gauge cluster on the GTI since there are more display info that you can choose from.
5. Obviously, the GTI has a lot more room because of an actually functional second row. But if you don't plan on carrying passengers you should be ok. The truck of the BRZ actually has quite a decent capacity.
6. Drivability-wise, I feel more connected to the car and the road when I'm in the BRZ. The steering response is fantastic and the shifter feel a lot more mechanical than the GTI. My bf sometimes jokingly calls the GTI shifter a joystick because how disconnected it feel to the transmission.
7. Because of the low centre of gravity, the BRZ is a joy to drive on curvy roads. Before I owned the BRZ, I was already quite impressed with the handling of the GTI but the BRZ kind of takes it to the next level for being so flat on turns.
8. Some people thinks that the BRZ's pedal position is easier for heel-toe.

Overall, I feel that you won't be disappointed with the BRZ because it is so fun to drive this car. It can absolutely be a daily and a good set of winter tires will set you up great in the cold months.
brzsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzsgal For This Useful Post:
g e (01-02-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:45 PM   #27
Kona61

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzsgal View Post
My bf owns a MK7 GTI that I have driven quite often and I just took delivery of the 2022 BRZ. The GTI is currently stock. So here's my long comparison between the 2 and hopefully it'll help with your decision.

1. Power-wise, I don't feel the BRZ to be that slow. But I would say that the GTI seems to have a longer gear and pulls so nicely across the entire RPM range.
2. The GTI rides a lot quieter, which I think is helpful if you are gonna go on a long road trip.
3. The infotainment unit on the BRZ is quite basic. The resolution is rather low but having CarPlay is a plus since the voice control on the GTI is a bit funky IMO so we never really use it. GTI's sound system is also better than the BRZ.
4. I prefer the gauge cluster on the GTI since there are more display info that you can choose from.
5. Obviously, the GTI has a lot more room because of an actually functional second row. But if you don't plan on carrying passengers you should be ok. The truck of the BRZ actually has quite a decent capacity.
6. Drivability-wise, I feel more connected to the car and the road when I'm in the BRZ. The steering response is fantastic and the shifter feel a lot more mechanical than the GTI. My bf sometimes jokingly calls the GTI shifter a joystick because how disconnected it feel to the transmission.
7. Because of the low centre of gravity, the BRZ is a joy to drive on curvy roads. Before I owned the BRZ, I was already quite impressed with the handling of the GTI but the BRZ kind of takes it to the next level for being so flat on turns.

Overall, I feel that you won't be disappointed with the BRZ because it is so fun to drive this car. It can absolutely be a daily and a good set of winter tires will set you up great in the cold months.
Oh that’s one thing I totally forgot. The pedals in the MK7 suck for heel towing. The brake pedal is much too high to easily blip the gas. BRZ is not amazing though. It is better but still not as good as a Miata or S2000.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:55 AM   #28
Up4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzsgal View Post

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I truly appreciate the feedback.
Obviously both cars are great, and I absolutely love my GTI, and I am going to have a hard time saying goodbye to it. BUT, reasons 6, 7, and 8 are EXACTLY why I feel the need to make the switch at this time. I am not looking for an all around car (which we all know the GTI does amazingly). I am looking for a fun track toy, that can be used as a bad weather daily driver, so I don't have to use my other cars. I don't need to go on trips, or commute to work with it, and I will basically use it only a few thousand miles per year. I literally just need it to run random errands, go to bank, post office, lunch with friends, etc.
I will use it as a direct replacement for my GTI that I had for 7 years, and I have under 20,000 miles still! I have probably only needed the rear seats only 3 or 4 times, and I never filled the back up, other than for stuff to go to the track, and all my stuff will still fit in the BRZ.
I am probably going to head to the dealer on Tuesday to try and make a deal. The only thing that will stop me is if they try to get more than MSRP. I REFUSE to pay more than that. As a matter of fact, I never paid even close to MSRP in my whole life (I usually get under invoice), and I have bought many cars in my life (I have automotive ADD, lol). I feel like, in today's market, I would be ok going up to MSRP for a car, mainly because the value of my GTI also went up, so net/net, I would still add the same money to make the swap.