follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #71
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If LTFT was your only remaining problem (you said it starts up fine now) you can keep looking for vacuum leaks / hoses etc shouldn't be an engine issue. I think you're close to solving this. Maybe check the installation of the knock sensors in case they're oriented wrong.

Actually, since you said you're using 10:1 CR, it might make sense to have high positive LTFT using a stock rom since the baseman is for 12:1. You're sucking in more air then ECU expects so its giving you more fuel. Talk with your tuner

Last edited by FrickingReallySlow; 09-28-2021 at 07:11 PM.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:53 AM   #72
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Is there a way to bench test an ECU?
not sure on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Those compression numbers aren't bad. Based on what you're saying, they're all about the same and are upwards of 100 psi. Maybe a little on the low side, but I'm not exactly sure in this case that it's a bad thing.

Sorry to hear you're going through such a headache and still haven't had a resolution. Hope it's something simple and you or the shop can quickly get to the bottom of it.
thanks, i might just follow IAG's recommendations and run it with the turbo kit since they said might be a tuning issue.
I began asking IAG for some assistance/advice. They said that compression and leak down should wait til break in. they also said that high fuel trims might be caused by my setup lower compression block with a stock tune, they recommended a base tune, i do have a base tune by for a turbo kit, but since it seems im really unlucky. I got my turbo kit the other day (hooray), but they forgot to make my manifold a recirc dump so back it goes to get fixed. ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
If LTFT was your only remaining problem (you said it starts up fine now) you can keep looking for vacuum leaks / hoses etc shouldn't be an engine issue. I think you're close to solving this. Maybe check the installation of the knock sensors in case they're oriented wrong.

Actually, since you said you're using 10:1 CR, it might make sense to have high positive LTFT using a stock rom since the baseman is for 12:1. You're sucking in more air then ECU expects so its giving you more fuel. Talk with your tuner
Well no my issue of starting up and shutting off immediately still happens but i believe it only happens when the car is cold. I remember seeing a thread about the issues im having minus the high fuel trims.

IAG mentioned the reason why i might be seeing high fuel trims because stock tune with lower compression may cause it. I still want a more definitive answer since my motor is currently out of the car again. I believe the high fuel trims could probably be tuned out since i have confirmed my injectors work, and my fuel pump is fine, i added a fuel pressure gauge inline on the fuel lines. I'll have to wait since i do have a base tune for built motor with turbo and have to wait for my turbo hot parts to come back after they fix the issue of forgetting to make a recirc dump tube manifold/downpipe.

a thread where the OP had almost the exact same issues i had. seems to have solved it by tuning it out.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...107300&page=14

Last edited by jrhudson; 09-29-2021 at 01:09 AM.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-29-2021), Dzmitry (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 01:14 AM   #73
jrhudson

Welp, woohoo. Then, back in the box. Good thing JDL said they’ll do it whenever they get it same day and try to even send it out the same day.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #74
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
thanks, i might just follow IAG's recommendations and run it with the turbo kit since they said might be a tuning issue.
I began asking IAG for some assistance/advice. They said that compression and leak down should wait til break in. they also said that high fuel trims might be caused by my setup lower compression block with a stock tune, they recommended a base tune, i do have a base tune by for a turbo kit, but since it seems im really unlucky. I got my turbo kit the other day (hooray), but they forgot to make my manifold a recirc dump so back it goes to get fixed. ugh.
Indeed, we have discussed that it could possibly be the tune already, as every single thing that you have diagnosed has seemed to be working perfectly normal and you have done many checks on proper operation of sensors, connections, etc. I would definitely agree that it has to be the tune, and I wish IAG had mentioned this to you earlier so that you could go through less troubles, because we did go over that being likely.

When you get the turbo kit fixed up and on the car with a proper tune, let us know how things turn out! I wish ya luck, it's never fun dealing with such a headache, but the reward will hopefully be worth it!
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #75
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Indeed, we have discussed that it could possibly be the tune already, as every single thing that you have diagnosed has seemed to be working perfectly normal and you have done many checks on proper operation of sensors, connections, etc. I would definitely agree that it has to be the tune, and I wish IAG had mentioned this to you earlier so that you could go through less troubles, because we did go over that being likely.

When you get the turbo kit fixed up and on the car with a proper tune, let us know how things turn out! I wish ya luck, it's never fun dealing with such a headache, but the reward will hopefully be worth it!

And if it is indeed the stock tune being the issue and not wanting to play well with the lower compression block, then perhaps (biting my tongue here) Zach is......ahem......mistaken. (?)
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-29-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #76
jrhudson

Not really sure why i had the issues i had, but they've been resolved, I think. Giving an update to give this thread to give it closure, so-to-speak.

Only thing i suspect is, i still had somewhat high ethanol content in my tank somehow. Filling half my tank with 91 seemed to resolve the issue. I had about ~20% of ethanol according to my flex fuel sensor and this was after i filled the tank with 91, so im assuming that there was more ethanol in the tank. The fuel trims even improved, from 20% to under 10%.

JDL kit is installed and everything is finally running as it should.

Last edited by jrhudson; 11-14-2021 at 11:39 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (11-14-2021), fableluke (11-15-2021), FR-S2GT86 (11-14-2021), FrickingReallySlow (11-14-2021), kev0 (11-17-2021)