follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #1149
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, there is only so many ways it could be better, and what is better for the FA24 might not be better for the FA20. Better cooling from larger coolers. Might not be necessary, but could happen from the extra displacement on the new engine. If there was a way to remove the resonance in the runners then they could work on that. Outside of that, I can’t think of anything. It already was a solid design.

It might be less elegant too. If they make a single manifold that works for both then it could be a two piece design like the Edelbrock that has different runners. If the runner dimensions are identical then it could be clearances for other things like the alternator or something else that raises or changes the dimensions good or bad. Like the new 86, some things are better and some things aren’t.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #1150
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was more thinking along the lines of QOL changes to the old kit, not entire overhauls. Clearances for that alternator plug on the 17+ for example. They have a working design for the old kit and just went through CARB approval with it, I don't see them changing it. I interpreted the "retooling their manufacturing line" news as halting manufacturing to support manufacturing the new kit alongside the old kit. I would be shocked if they produced a single kit for both engines.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:14 AM   #1151
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Had to speak to the guys at Harrop HQ today to order a replacement part today.
Asked what would be the situation with parts supply for the existing kit into the future.
They said they have heaps of spare parts in stock, and also said one priority when developing the new kit will be to use as many common parts (with the existing kit) as possible.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
bhmax (09-13-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 03:47 AM   #1152
FunnyGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Had to speak to the guys at Harrop HQ today to order a replacement part today.
Asked what would be the situation with parts supply for the existing kit into the future.
They said they have heaps of spare parts in stock, and also said one priority when developing the new kit will be to use as many common parts (with the existing kit) as possible.
Whoa whoa whoa, that makes it sound like they're scraping the old kit in favor of the new one. :O
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
Old 09-14-2021, 05:25 AM   #1153
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGopher View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, that makes it sound like they're scraping the old kit in favor of the new one. :O
Would that not just mean if they have both kits using most of the same parts, then they could continue to make either to order (pre 2022 or post 2022 86/brz) without needing to spend extra on components specific to either of the two kits?

Wouldn’t make sense for them to scrap their old kit, I find it hard to believe many people will want to put aftermarket super chargers on a brand new car, especially with its better torque/ performance. I’d think more people may be content staying NA with the 2022 models compared to the previous gens
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #1154
Brz-123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Would that not just mean if they have both kits using most of the same parts, then they could continue to make either to order (pre 2022 or post 2022 86/brz) without needing to spend extra on components specific to either of the two kits?

Wouldn’t make sense for them to scrap their old kit, I find it hard to believe many people will want to put aftermarket super chargers on a brand new car, especially with its better torque/ performance. I’d think more people may be content staying NA with the 2022 models compared to the previous gens
It's not that simple. Forced induction is a different market. It's not a header and a tune market. They are looking for 275 to 300 bhp and beyond i.e. a substantial performance jump and this new engine is really nowhere close to that. So will never replace their need. It is a smallish market but this platform has and will be a tuners car, so aftermarket kits will still abound.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brz-123 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-14-2021), grumpysnapper (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #1155
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGopher View Post
The manifold could be a two piece design like the Edelbrock manifold that has different runners specific to the FA20 and the FA24. The pipes, water pump, intercooler, heat exchangers, TVS1320, top of the manifold, etc could all stay the same.

I’m sure they will still sell a kit for the FA20. They just got CARB approval, so I doubt they will want to scrap anything.
CSG Mike (09-14-2021), grumpysnapper (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #1156
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

I do agree that if anything the older cars will be a good market for FI. They are cheaper now, which means adding FI isn’t a huge hit to the wallet when added to the cost of the car, and more first gens will want FI to keep up with base new gens.

Obviously both platforms will have a lot of interest for forced induction.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #1157
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz-123 View Post
It's not that simple. Forced induction is a different market. It's not a header and a tune market. They are looking for 275 to 300 bhp and beyond i.e. a substantial performance jump and this new engine is really nowhere close to that. So will never replace their need. It is a smallish market but this platform has and will be a tuners car, so aftermarket kits will still abound.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
I’m using myself as an example. Previously i’ve never felt the need to modify the performance of cars i’ve owned until getting this car. I like everything else about the car, but just wish it had a little more power down low that even with headers, tune and e85 I’m still not feeling. I think these new gen cars with their 3.7k rpm peak torque will make a pretty substantial difference for street daily driving. If my current 86 had that I think headers and tune would be more than enough for my needs. In my spirited daily driving, I only ever get to feel 6-7k rpm torque going from 1st to 2nd, so 90% of my driving I’m experiencing half of the power my car has to offer. I know I can never change that with my engine, however going FI will boost up that torque to hopefully give me a similar experience to the new gen cars, with the added top end performance from the kit when I finally do hit peak torque

I wasn’t saying there won’t be a new kit for the next gen cars, or that it will be identical to their old kit.
What I am saying is I think their current kit will continue to be their main ‘bread and butter’ / what they intent to make and sell a majority of, however they will develop this new kit using as many of the same components as possible so they can still provide the new kit for those that want them without risking high input costs for a kit that might not be as sought after as it was for the previous gen
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #1158
grumpysnapper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.

A few months ago when talking to a Harrop person about my existing unit, they said words to the effect of "you've got yourself a collectors item there, its going to go up in value because we're not looking like we are making anymore...we will be moving onto the new engine".
(But keep in mind that they might have mis-spoke, or I might have misconstrued the comment!)

But to me I can't see any great benefit for them to continue to produce a premium/expensive (almost niche) supercharger for a (by then) outdated, depreciating and saturated with choice, platform.
I suspect they have already sold all the units that they were ever going to sell into the old platform, particularly at that price and quality point. It was a very high quality unit, not a high volume unit.

The existing units are relatively easily refurbished into the future for FA20 demands, and will end up being re-sold within that (limited) market.

The new platform brings fresh new buyers and replacement (old model escapee) buyers...all with fresh excitement at a new engine ...and cash.

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 09-15-2021 at 09:16 AM.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #1159
FunnyGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.

A few months ago when talking to a Harrop person about my existing unit, they said words to the effect of "you've got yourself a collectors item there, its going to go up in value because we're not looking like we are making anymore...we will be moving onto the new engine".
(But keep in mind that they might have mis-spoke, or I might have misconstrued the comment!)

But to me I can't see any great benefit for them to continue to produce a premium/expensive (almost niche) supercharger for a (by then) outdated, depreciating and saturated with choice, platform.
I suspect they have already sold all the units that they were ever going to sell into the old platform, particularly at that price and quality point. It was a very high quality unit, not a high volume unit.

The existing units are relatively easily refurbished into the future for FA20 demands, and will end up being re-sold within that (limited) market.

The new platform brings fresh new buyers and replacement (old model escapee) buyers...all with fresh excitement at a new engine ...and cash.
It's just odd because I agree with Irace, they just got CARB approval on the old kit, and they had been trying to do that for years. I would be super shocked if they completely stopped production on the old kit, or didn't come out with an equivalent. I could see them making it more modular and then using FA20/24 specific parts to meet the demands of both cars.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #1160
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I guess there's still Edelbrock...

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-16-2021 at 01:59 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:38 AM   #1161
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
New Owner

New Owner here.. Bought straight from Irace86.2.0

Running on 17 Auto + e85 ( ~ e70).
Anyone experiencing very rough idle ..almost like it's starving for fuel..
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ojuniour For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 03:55 AM   #1162
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
New Owner here.. Bought straight from Irace86.2.0

Running on 17 Auto + e85 ( ~ e70).
Anyone experiencing very rough idle ..almost like it's starving for fuel..

Sounds tune related..
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote